PDA

View Full Version : 91 Prostar 190 VS 96 Prostar 205 pros and cons?

Juiced190
02-03-2012, 11:07 PM
I'm having a major mental debate that's been going on for a while now, that is only irritated further by the winter no ski season. I currently own a 91 Prostar 190 but am debating the purchase of a 96 Prostar 205. I'd like to hear from fellow TT members who have perhaps owned both similar boats and what has been their experience and or advice. I know East Texas Skier owned a 93 205 but now has the 98 190, so I would like to hear from him as well as anyone willing to share their thoughts.

madcityskier
02-03-2012, 11:21 PM
Describe how you want to use it.

Bouyhead
02-04-2012, 06:39 AM
I know you asked about the 96 but this is a good read on all the 205's Compared to your 190 the 205 has tons of room, a better ride in rough water, higher gunwhales so it's safer if you have young ones, and still retains a world class slalom wake if thats your thing. Most guys will vote for the 205 because of it's versatility. I would never own a boat with a hole in the bow but i don't have kids and don't plan on having any.

Lot's of guys on here who have owned both so lot's of good info to follow. BTW, ETS is riding around in a well refined slalom tug, but it's not a MC;)

rhsprostar
02-04-2012, 08:35 AM
Yup....you need to tell us what you are doing with it. Mostly slalom? freeskiing? boarding? kids? Cruising? Big water? private lake? etc...
They are really different boats....

east tx skier
02-04-2012, 10:07 AM
I'm having a major mental debate that's been going on for a while now, that is only irritated further by the winter no ski season. I currently own a 91 Prostar 190 but am debating the purchase of a 96 Prostar 205. I'd like to hear from fellow TT members who have perhaps owned both similar boats and what has been their experience and or advice. I know East Texas Skier owned a 93 205 but now has the 98 190, so I would like to hear from him as well as anyone willing to share their thoughts.

A couple of things. I don't have a 98 190. I have a 98 Ski Nautique.

The 93 205 is a pretty different boat from the 96 205. Both are good, but the 92--95 hull is probably closer to that which you've become accustomed as far as handling and wake with your 91 190. The 96 will handle the chop better, but definitely feels like a bigger boat than the 1st gen. 205.

What we discovered was that we didn't use the bow seating very often. Rather, we shoved a bunch of gear up there. We are a family of four and opted for bow storage over loading the bow with people, which, frankly, made the wake not nearly as nice for slalom. I loved my 205, but don't regret my move to a fantastic skiing closed bow in the least.

If you split your time skiing and hauling groups of six or more around, then an open bow might be something to consider. But for us, we go out, we ski, we cruise around, we head for the dock and do our relaxing there. Having a closed bow has not limited us in our preferred routine very often. It is worth the wake and the unobstructed view from the the driver's seat.

mikeg205
02-04-2012, 11:19 AM
I have a '95 205 and love the wake behind it. I also ski behind a '97 205 which has a slightly larger wake. Now that my level of skiiing is up the .25 or less seconds I spend thru the wake is not a big issue for me at least. I also skied behind a 2012 x-15 over the summer and it had a rougher wake... Besides the fun hard turns and sprays are done way outside the wake... good form edge and body position, makes the wake almost an afterthought IMHO. I will agree with East TX, if your hard core slalom, and you want the smoothest wake - closed bow. A tower on the '96 would get gear off the floor...that's the only complaint I have when I have people in my '95 - my .02

Juiced190
02-04-2012, 11:24 AM
Thanks to everyone that has chimed in so far. My issue is I love the features both boats offer and thus my delima. The 190 has been perfect for me and my three kids so far. My 2 boys are in their early teens now and everytime we go out they want to bring their friends, so on any given weekend we have 5 or more. On a few occasions we've had as many as many as 8, on those days it would have been nice to own the 205. Like ETS, I love the storage under the 190, it's awesome how much you can pack under there. We use it all; barefoot boom, wakeboard, skis, tube towables, and kneeboard, so the storage is important. I owned a Supra Conbrio for a few months and loved the open bow, the kids love sitting up there and it really makes docking, loading and unloading so much easier. While I did like the Supra very much, my heart was set on owning a MasterCraft 190. Compared to the Supra Conbrio, the 190 drives and handles like a Porsche Boxter and the Conbrio handled like a Tahoe. I've never driven or ridden in a 205, so am curious if the 205 handles more like the Conbrio or the 190.

mikeg205
02-04-2012, 11:30 AM
Hi Juice, I have driven a Tahoe and many other inexpensive I/O and Outboard boats...but never a 190. When I first got my 205 I could not believe the handling... if a 190 handles better than a 205 OMG that's cool. My 205 feels like its on a rail in the turns and really holds a straight line... Really the Supra handled like a Tahoe? too bad...for Supra and good for us.

Juiced190
02-04-2012, 11:53 AM
[QUOTE=east tx skier;814565]A couple of things. I don't have a 98 190. I have a 98 Ski Nautique.

I've been reading TT for 3 years now, and really enjoy this forum, most every thread I've read has a comment or excellent information from East Tx, this guy was becoming a legend in my mind. I will have to admit my heart skipped a beat when I read the quote above. It actually shocked me! I will have to admit I admire it. I'm 48 years old and have always loved tournament style inboard ski boats, growing up in Tennessee my first love was a 1980 S&S a schoolmate of mine owned. Although I never got to ski behind it or even ride in it, I used to just admire it as it passed us on the Cumberland river. Since then I always wanted a MasterCraft, heck, at the time I'd even settle for a SN, Supra, or even Supreme. I guess what I'm trying to say is, it's really about the love of skiing and being on the water and not so much about what boat you drive or own. I love all tournament boats but like most people have a loyalty and love for one over all the rest, and I guess you can trace it back to a 15 year old kid admiring the lines, stars, stripes, and roar of the 351 on that 1980 MasterCraft S&S.

Juiced190
02-04-2012, 12:02 PM
Hi Juice, I have driven a Tahoe and many other inexpensive I/O and Outboard boats...but never a 190. When I first got my 205 I could not believe the handling... if a 190 handles better than a 205 OMG that's cool. My 205 feels like its on a rail in the turns and really holds a straight line... Really the Supra handled like a Tahoe? too bad...for Supra and good for us.

Actually, I was using Tahoe as a metaphor. Saying the 190 drives and handles like a Porsche Boxter and the Conbrio comparably like a Chevy Tahoe. I liked the Supra Conbrio very much and had many hours of fun on it but the handling doesn't compare to the 190 nor would I expect it too. Just like I don't expect the 205 to handle like the 190. I'd really like to know how the 205 compares to the 190.

rhsprostar
02-04-2012, 01:17 PM
The 96 205 will not handle as well as your 91 or an 04 205 for example. BUT...... it will do more for you in terms of space for people and gear than the 91. If you are not a course skier and like to board, tube, barefoot and have tons of friends in the boat all the time then get the 205. It's great for that, I owned a 96 205. I also owned a 93 205 that I liked even more. It handled incredible, but still had the space for friends/family. Maybe not quite as much as the 96 but way more than your CB 91. The only other real difference, is that the 96 and up 205 had much better rough water capabilities than the prior generation. Not sure if that is an issue for you but for some people it's huge. Hope that helps...

east tx skier
02-04-2012, 05:34 PM
...so am curious if the 205 handles more like the Conbrio or the 190.

Somewhere in the middle. The earlier 205 handles quite a bit better than the later one though (closer to your 190).

east tx skier
02-04-2012, 05:37 PM
I've been reading TT for 3 years now, and really enjoy this forum, most every thread I've read has a comment or excellent information from East Tx, this guy was becoming a legend in my mind. I will have to admit my heart skipped a beat when I read the quote above. It actually shocked me! I will have to admit I admire it.

I've owned this boat for over 5 years. Sorry to kill the fantasy for you. :) If it makes you feel better, my father in law still has a 98 205, which is a lot of fun to ski. I just had an opportunity to get into a closed bow and this boat came up for sale nearby. I was close to buying a 94 190 the year before, but Bret in Arkansas decided not to sell. It was hard to find a boat I liked more than Bret's.

If hearing it made your heart skip a beat, you may not want to see this. 8p

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-BoFEwTkOE34/TaJ5SziKhgI/AAAAAAAAD00/mt3zBaOMkqw/s1024/IMAG0050.jpg

mikeg205
02-04-2012, 07:27 PM
lol..East TX... I like the environment the boat is in as well....

rhsprostar
02-04-2012, 11:38 PM
@East Tx Skier....Wow five years! I would have said 2 tops.....amazing how time flys. I remenber when you sold your 205. Makes me wonder how long I have been a member here. Are you the top poster at CC Fan yet? ;) I see you over on Ball of Spray once in awhile!
Come on now tell the truth, you miss the 205 sometimes right!

Edit:Okay I just noticed the joined date on the top right......

mikeg205
02-05-2012, 12:06 AM
I've owned this boat for over 5 years. Sorry to kill the fantasy for you. :) If it makes you feel better, my father in law still has a 98 205, which is a lot of fun to ski. I just had an opportunity to get into a closed bow and this boat came up for sale nearby. I was close to buying a 94 190 the year before, but Bret in Arkansas decided not to sell. It was hard to find a boat I liked more than Bret's.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-BoFEwTkOE34/TaJ5SziKhgI/AAAAAAAAD00/mt3zBaOMkqw/s1024/IMAG0050.jpg

BTW that hull looks alot like my '95 205....would have to slalom behind it to make sure.... hint hint....:D:D:D

she's a beauty...:D:)

Juiced190
02-05-2012, 10:30 AM
[QUOTE=east tx skier;814632]I've owned this boat for over 5 years. Sorry to kill the fantasy for you. :) If it makes you feel better, my father in law still has a 98 205, which is a lot of fun to ski. I just had an opportunity to get into a closed bow and this boat came up for sale nearby. I was close to buying a 94 190 the year before, but Bret in Arkansas decided not to sell. It was hard to find a boat I liked more than Bret's.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-BoFEwTkOE34/TaJ5SziKhgI/AAAAAAAAD00/mt3zBaOMkqw/s1024/IMAG0050.jpg[/QU

Like I said, I love all tournament ski boats and have owned an 84 Ski Nautique myself. That's an awesome looking ride. I understand why you would buy a SN, I was just shocked when I discovered you had the SN when all the time I thought you had a PS 190. I'm over the shock now, but it did rate up there with other disappointing events in my life. Like when I found out Santa Claus wasn't real, the first time I saw KISS without their makeup, and that baseball players were using steroids. I guess a dose of reality is at times difficult when you find out your heroes are normal people too.

thatsmrmastercraft
02-05-2012, 10:59 AM
The only factor I can see where an open bow boat has an advantage is if you are picking up people from shallow water (I'm another who will never beach my boat). The bow of the boat gets in shallower than the side or swim platform. Not enough of an issue for me to want an open bow, but it may be for some.

mikeg205
02-05-2012, 11:33 AM
Beaching your mastercraft is like jabbing yourself in the leg with a screwdriver...however, your leg will heal... :D :D :D

east tx skier
02-05-2012, 09:10 PM
lol..East TX... I like the environment the boat is in as well....

Caddo Lake has a lot of nice Cypress Trees. My father in law really built the dock into the environment as much as possible.

east tx skier
02-05-2012, 09:13 PM
@East Tx Skier....Wow five years! I would have said 2 tops.....amazing how time flys. I remenber when you sold your 205. Makes me wonder how long I have been a member here. Are you the top poster at CC Fan yet? ;) I see you over on Ball of Spray once in awhile!
Come on now tell the truth, you miss the 205 sometimes right!

Edit:Okay I just noticed the joined date on the top right......

Roddydog sent me a picture of it last year. After towing it to St. Louis, it was hard to miss it. I did a bit as it got pulled away. But I had my current boat waiting at home to remind me that I only want one boat. ;)

No, I'm not the top poster at CCFan or Planet Nautique. I post at all of those sites, but I still spend plenty of time over here.

east tx skier
02-05-2012, 09:13 PM
BTW that hull looks alot like my '95 205....would have to slalom behind it to make sure.... hint hint....:D:D:D

she's a beauty...:D:)

Any time. But look closer. No lifting strakes on that SN hull. I know the 205 has them front to back. :)

east tx skier
02-05-2012, 09:16 PM
[QUOTE=east tx skier;814632]I've owned this boat for over 5 years. Sorry to kill the fantasy for you. :) If it makes you feel better, my father in law still has a 98 205, which is a lot of fun to ski. I just had an opportunity to get into a closed bow and this boat came up for sale nearby. I was close to buying a 94 190 the year before, but Bret in Arkansas decided not to sell. It was hard to find a boat I liked more than Bret's.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-BoFEwTkOE34/TaJ5SziKhgI/AAAAAAAAD00/mt3zBaOMkqw/s1024/IMAG0050.jpg[/QU

Like I said, I love all tournament ski boats and have owned an 84 Ski Nautique myself. That's an awesome looking ride. I understand why you would buy a SN, I was just shocked when I discovered you had the SN when all the time I thought you had a PS 190. I'm over the shock now, but it did rate up there with other disappointing events in my life. Like when I found out Santa Claus wasn't real, the first time I saw KISS without their makeup, and that baseball players were using steroids. I guess a dose of reality is at times difficult when you find out your heroes are normal people too.

Never meet your heroes. 8p Love that quote. Makes me think of James May driving a Lamborghini Countach 5000s. Nearly ruined that wonderful car for me.

I still spend plenty of time behind various eras of MCs and love them. I really do. I'm a ski boat enthusiast. I like them all, but can't own them all. And in 98, Correct Craft was making remarkable ski boats. Kind of like MC in 94. One of those boats that would be considered great 20 years later. The 94 MC and the 98 SN.

east tx skier
02-05-2012, 09:18 PM
The only factor I can see where an open bow boat has an advantage is if you are picking up people from shallow water (I'm another who will never beach my boat). The bow of the boat gets in shallower than the side or swim platform. Not enough of an issue for me to want an open bow, but it may be for some.

They'll just step on your seats when they step over the nose. We back in and let them step on the platform. Of course, even with my center of my rear seat flipped over into a step, people still step on the seats getting in. Makes me want to jam the throttle and leave them soaked! ;)