PDA

View Full Version : Anyoone riding the newer Murray board?

bturner2
02-03-2012, 01:00 PM
OK I'm old and have been riding an old 142 Belmont board for I dare say about 14 years. I love the board but unfortunately it has begun to delaminate. I picked up a 146 Ronix "One" wakeboard two years ago that tried to kill me (anyone want a Ronix One really cheap? Seriously). Apearently the twin tip, four fin set up just isn't for this old trick skier. I kept catching an edge and did some serious face plants. The good news is switching back to my old board saved the season for me.

I was checking my gear last night and noticed the Bellmont is now worse than ever. I've expoxied it back together (again) but was thinking of once again trying a new board. I was looking at the Hyperlite site and was thinking of maybe staying with the Murray line in hopes that the ride would be similar to the old Belmont. It would appear I need a board more like a trick ski that is not so directional and will slide around a bit.

My dealer will let you take boards out on demo but there are a ton to choose from and a two day demo of 12 boards will cost a ton ($50 a board) and I'm not that sure I'd even be able to get a true feeling for a single board or do a true comparison in that short of a time frame.

As for my riding level I'm by no means a beginer but inverts are not in the picture. Mostly 360s, 180s and wake to wake type of riding.

Any thoughts????

RadarDad
02-03-2012, 01:12 PM
I have someone you should contact that can help, since he worked at HO and now is with Ronix. timp@squareoneco.com

Roger

snork
02-03-2012, 03:10 PM
You can't go wrong with either Murray or Marek both great boards I have the Murray Bio 142 and the Marek Nova 141

bturner2
02-03-2012, 03:32 PM
Any real advantage to the Nova core? If I can get one that works for me this will most likely be the last one I buy so I really don't mind paying the extra money if it's worth the cost.

snork
02-03-2012, 03:51 PM
you can achieve butter pop and it had the infinite rail for boot placement cost about twice of Bio

trasey
02-04-2012, 05:21 PM
My local Hyperlite dealer told me that the Nova core is a lot lighter, but is focused more for pros because he said they break easier. How much do you want to sell the Ronix board for? What year is it?

bturner2
02-04-2012, 07:39 PM
I believe I found one like it on Ebay that's a 2008. It's white and has a gold medallion on it. I'll have to pull it out and take a picture. Low hours, that's for sure. I'm thinking $75 plus shipping? I'd rather see someone use it than have it sitting here collecting dust.

onewheat
02-04-2012, 11:17 PM
PM sent about your board

-V-
02-05-2012, 03:18 PM
still have the board? and do you have any pics? I am in the market.

76S&S
02-06-2012, 09:41 AM
I ride a 2010 Murray and really like it. The edge in the center is more rounded (less face plants) and sharpens as it progresses toward the tip/tail. I ride without the center fins; it is a little loose like this but very controlable. It's worth the $50 to demo. Oh, and my skill level is very similar to yours.

bturner2
02-06-2012, 09:52 AM
Thanks everyone for the comments on the Murray board. AWS will not be at the Detroit boat show but will do it's usual private event at their store. I'm going to go there and see if they'll cut me a deal on last years board. Hopefully they'll get close to web price so I can buy one locally.

For those interested in my One board.... Got the board down from the attic yesterday afternoon. I'll get some pictures up as soon as my head quits pounding from the Superbowl party last night.

bturner2
02-06-2012, 11:26 AM
Finally was able to bare sunlight, took some pictures and took a good look at the board. The board looks real good with only minor scratches from putting it in the boat and moving it around. One of the fins turned a bit yellowish for some reason. At any rate this is what it looks like......

bturner2
02-06-2012, 11:28 AM
A couple more.....

mpabreo
02-06-2012, 05:53 PM
I've ridden the 09, 10, and now ride the '11 murray bio. It's a great board and even though changed to a hybrid rocker in '10 (from continuous), its still a great carving, free-ride board like Murray always had.

The 2010 & 2011 do not have an option for center fins, 2 on each end. Shape didn't change for 2012. My advice on the bio vs nova, stick with the bio. I've cracked both, but you prolly won't notice any difference. Plus its double the price for the bio.

Get rid of that old tymer and get on something with much better technology!

flyinryn
02-06-2012, 11:46 PM
So can i ask why it almost killed you?

In the market myself and have been looking at that board...

bturner2
02-07-2012, 07:43 AM
I'm used to a loose riding board that's more like a trick ski. This board rides like it's on rails. It tracks well, has great pop but doesn't like to slide around much, at least not for me. For me it tended to catch a rail if you didn't land quite straight. Also had real issues for me doing surface turns both resulted in face plants. This board had great reviews and I'm sure it's a great board for someone with better skills or different riding style. For me I was much better off going back to my old board.

flyinryn
02-07-2012, 05:35 PM
Ahhh,
So it sounds like we have the same riding style. So are their any boards out there that still that have that old style and feel.
I have ridden a couple newer boards and really don't like feel. I am also in the hunt for a new board as well.

bturner2
02-07-2012, 07:34 PM
The consensus seems to be the same on the Murray board that it's about as close as you're going to get to the loose style I need. Sliding out on a jump or trick is much more agreeable to this old dog than a face plant. From what I've seen locally the skaters seen to like the tighter boards more.

kskonn
02-08-2012, 04:46 PM
I have a similiar skill level and I have been riding the Hyperlite B side, very few faceplants similiar edge profile to the 2010 murray, rounded in the middle with progressivly more aggressive to edge towards the tail.

flyinryn
02-08-2012, 09:09 PM
Question, for people that ride these newer boards. Are these boards geared towards better riders or for newer riders. Do the newer boards help you progress faster?

i have been wake boarding since the mid 91-92 and i hate these newer boards.

Is this the difference between soul riders in short board riders in surfing terms.

I do i really just need to man up and learn to ride a new way?

tr6coug
02-08-2012, 10:08 PM
Last summer I was riding a 08 liquid force PS3 and then tried my buddies 2011 Murray. Never went back to the LF and bought a 2010 Nova core Murray (same design different graphics). Its very light and has much more pop than the PS3 does. I get a ton more air with the Murray. I haven't ridden the Bio core version but it should be pretty close in pop and slightly heavier.

snork
02-08-2012, 10:34 PM
I go through boards like I go through girlfriend each ride a little different. You have to ride em like theres no tomorrow and drive it all the way to the wake. And for Petes sake dont put your board up drip'n wet

flyinryn
02-09-2012, 01:22 AM
So will you taking me out, when we are at shasta so i can try the different boards?

Last summer I was riding a 08 liquid force PS3 and then tried my buddies 2011 Murray. Never went back to the LF and bought a 2010 Nova core Murray (same design different graphics). Its very light and has much more pop than the PS3 does. I get a ton more air with the Murray. I haven't ridden the Bio core version but it should be pretty close in pop and slightly heavier.

bturner2
02-09-2012, 09:29 AM
OK I did some calling around on the Murry board and apparently wakeboards are not flying off the self these days (most likely because of the price). I can get a 2011 BIO for $320 or a 2010 Nova for $400. There was also a 2009 Murray BIO for $125. I'm leaning towards the Nova since based on the length of ownership of my last Murray board this will mostly likely be the last one I buy. Are there any negitive aspects of buying the Nova. I remember hearing people saying that the old honeycomb boards were a bit harsher the the standard core boards back in the day and most people were better off with the cheaper boards.

tr6coug
02-09-2012, 09:08 PM
So will you taking me out, when we are at shasta so i can try the different boards?

Yeah! 8am at the dock.

tr6coug
02-09-2012, 09:11 PM
OK I did some calling around on the Murry board and apparently wakeboards are not flying off the self these days (most likely because of the price). I can get a 2011 BIO for $320 or a 2010 Nova for $400. There was also a 2009 Murray BIO for $125. I'm leaning towards the Nova since based on the length of ownership of my last Murray board this will mostly likely be the last one I buy. Are there any negitive aspects of buying the Nova. I remember hearing people saying that the old honeycomb boards were a bit harsher the the standard core boards back in the day and most people were better off with the cheaper boards.

You might want to call around a bit more. Last August I bought the 2010 Nova for $325 from Active Water Sports. I think the '09 Murray is a different design.

bturner2
02-09-2012, 09:21 PM
I've been looking around..... Anyone see a better price out therre?

bcd
02-09-2012, 10:29 PM
You still have the Ronix board for sale? How much are you asking, and what year is it?

onewheat
02-10-2012, 12:46 AM
My dealer will let you take boards out on demo but there are a ton to choose from and a two day demo of 12 boards will cost a ton ($50 a board) and I'm not that sure I'd even be able to get a true feeling for a single board or do a true comparison in that short of a time frame.

Holy Schmoly - I just noticed this - your dealer wants $600 so you can demo boards? That is ridiculous. I'd be looking for a new dealer. My problem (in addition to handing over that money) would be trying to get in that many runs in two days. I'd never have that kind of energy. :(

tr6coug
02-10-2012, 03:03 AM
I've been looking around..... Anyone see a better price out therre?

Yeah, checkout these guys.

http://www.wileyski.com/

They have the 2010 Murray Nova on their site for $350. I've purchased from them before. They are a good shop. I've demo'd stuff from them for free.

Also, the 2010 has metal fins, the 2011 has plastic fins.

bturner2
02-10-2012, 11:14 AM
So is that the only difference between the two years for the boards? If so I think we've found a winner.....

tr6coug
02-11-2012, 06:28 PM
So is that the only difference between the two years for the boards? If so I think we've found a winner.....

2010 and 2011 are the exact same board. The graphics are different and the fin material. Personally I'd rather have the 2010 with metal fins.