PDA

View Full Version : Question for the Engine experts

jamisonsbrodie
02-03-2012, 11:41 AM
I have a 2003 BMW 525 with 155,000 and it is really going through the oil lately. It doesn't seem to be leaking it, so I assume it is burning it. I am now adding a quart about every 1,000 miles. A year ago I was adding 1 every 5,000-7,000. I run full synthetic and change per the internal BMW computer which is about every 12-15,000 miles. This is my commuter car and I put about 25,000 per year on it. Am I in for a major overhaul due to rings and should I be looking to dump this soon, or could it be something more minor. Ideally I would like to drive this car for a couple more years, since it's paid for, but I don't want to dump 3-4K into the engine either. Thanks for any input

CruisinGA
02-03-2012, 11:45 AM
Not sure what the spark plug configuration is like on that engine, but a compression and leak down test would tell you a lot.

PCV systems with bad valves can also burn a lot of oil. Depends on the engine's PCV layout.

mikeg205
02-03-2012, 02:39 PM
I have a 2001 c320 with a 137,000 miles on it. I put in a quart every 1500 miles. changed oil every 10K as required - 8 liters of Mobil 1. I am sure your rings are slipping oil by. I notice more oil consumption when I drive at higher rpm's as well. I kept a log of average speed... my 2001 has over 4300 hours on it. My non "stealership" mechanic told me to run a higher viscosity oil thru it - due to its miles...I plan on taking my C320 to 250K without an overhaul. Right now I should replace fron struts - $2300 for the pair... Car is still good...maintenance averages about $100/month. Not bad for a luxury category sedan... I use the word luxury loosely... my last benz by the way...

BrianM
02-03-2012, 03:14 PM
A BMW with 150k+ miles using that much oil I'd dump it like a bad habit before it ends up costing a fortune to fix.

thatsmrmastercraft
02-03-2012, 03:34 PM
I have a 2003 BMW 525 with 155,000 and it is really going through the oil lately. It doesn't seem to be leaking it, so I assume it is burning it. I am now adding a quart about every 1,000 miles. A year ago I was adding 1 every 5,000-7,000. I run full synthetic and change per the internal BMW computer which is about every 12-15,000 miles. This is my commuter car and I put about 25,000 per year on it. Am I in for a major overhaul due to rings and should I be looking to dump this soon, or could it be something more minor. Ideally I would like to drive this car for a couple more years, since it's paid for, but I don't want to dump 3-4K into the engine either. Thanks for any input

I don't think it's coincidence that changing oil two times a year and having high oil consumption at 155,000 miles. I know the trend is to go much longer on oil changes and spark plug life, I'm just not sure there is a good long term benefit. By the BMW computer, you changed the oil 11 times in 155,000 miles. I would have gone with a 4,000 mile interval, which would have been 38 oil changes. This will be an interesting thread to follow. Good luck.

03geetee
02-03-2012, 03:46 PM
Agree with all the above posters. I dont let any computer tell me what my oil looks, smells, and feels like or how many particles my magnet picks up. If I tow alot with the wifeys truck I will change it faster then 3-3.5K average just because I know I was rough on it. Does your trucks computer know when you have a trailer attached? Doubt it.

Change the oil more often as it is cheaper then a new motor. Wife puts about 8-10K on her Xterra every year and I change the oil at 3K with dino oil (Valvoline). So for a year I may change it 3 times which to me is nothing. I run Mobil 1 in my Mustang and change it at 3K or 3mos which every comes first even though they say its good til 6-7K.

Besides I like changing oil often it gets you under the car to see other problems that may be starting.

JTR

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
02-03-2012, 04:07 PM
The nissan's I work on will do this because of clogged pcv valves due to lack of oil changes and the oil turning to sludge even with syn oil is used. We change out the valve covers and pcv valves and that repair more often than not takes care of the oil consumption problem. I would never go 15k miles between oil changes even with syn oil.

onewheat
02-03-2012, 11:52 PM
This discussion comes up on every board I have ever been on and there are always opposing sides - Those who think the engineers have it figured out and following Oil Life Meters or Engine Maintenance Minders is the way to go and anyone suggesting otherwise (like dealerships and mechanics) are out to screw you over. Then there are those of us who believe that oil is inherently and relatively cheap and the expense and hassle of frequent changes is minimal and well worth it. While working at the Honda dealership, I changed the oil/filter in my Accord every 2000 miles - because it was really cheap and took me 10 minutes at lunch. Now that I no longer have a lift at my disposal, I use Mobil 1 and go every 5000. I use the same oil and interval with my other vehicles. My previous Pontiac with a Quad 4 engine ran on Castrol Dino oil for 170k and was changed every 3k - never burned a drop. I am a firm believer of clean oil and have seen the internals of many engines where the owners thought oil changes weren't important enough or too expensive to worry about (or it was a lease and they didn't care either way). A Mobil 1 oil change (at home) cost me about $30 - $35 and done every 5000 miles, makes my cost for frequent oil changes about $600 - $700 over the course of 100,000 miles. My engines have no sludge in them that I can see in the heads or anywhere else. That's just my $0.02.

As far as your engine goes - figure out what the value of the car is, get an estimate on a rebuild or remanufactured or used engine and see if that is worth it to you. A paid off car is nice, but the still require money when they get up in the miles.

2RLAKE
02-04-2012, 09:34 AM
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/

another forum to which i belong is the BMW forum ... bimmerfest ... not as good as this but there are some equally talented folks there that might be of help

east tx skier
02-04-2012, 11:20 AM
I don't think it's coincidence that changing oil two times a year and having high oil consumption at 155,000 miles. I know the trend is to go much longer on oil changes and spark plug life, I'm just not sure there is a good long term benefit. By the BMW computer, you changed the oil 11 times in 155,000 miles. I would have gone with a 4,000 mile interval, which would have been 38 oil changes. This will be an interesting thread to follow. Good luck.

On my new VW, the trend among the conscientious owners is to cut the interval in half if you plan on keeping the car for a while. I'm on the 5K mile interval for oil changes.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
02-04-2012, 11:48 AM
This is what your engine will look like when you change your oil at 15k miles and by the way this was a 2001 bmw 525i with 86k miles on the clock, they changed it every 15k per bmw.

jamisonsbrodie
02-04-2012, 03:44 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I am a little surprised at how many people follow the jiffy lube recommendations though (3,000 miles) vs the manufacturer. I realize that 15k is a lot and i have actually shortened it up the last couple years, but 4-5k on synthetic, really? I guess it depends on the conditions too, hwy vs stop and go. I am having a compression and leak down test done on thursday and i will report back. I know these are notorious for having bad cvv (pcv) systems, I had an issue a couple winters ago due to the pressurized crank case. I can guarantee that my engine looks nothing like the one in the pics..

1redTA
02-04-2012, 03:46 PM
I started using Amsoil signature oil 5w30 on my 5.3 Sierra and have every intent on going 25,000 miles or the one year mark. In my LT1 I'd change it every 5k and it still had the hatch marks in the cylinders at 100,000 miles

2RLAKE
02-04-2012, 03:47 PM
This discussion comes up on every board I have ever been on and there are always opposing sides - Those who think the engineers have it figured out and following Oil Life Meters or Engine Maintenance Minders is the way to go and anyone suggesting otherwise (like dealerships and mechanics) are out to screw you over. Then there are those of us who believe that oil is inherently and relatively cheap and the expense and hassle of frequent changes is minimal and well worth it. While working at the Honda dealership, I changed the oil/filter in my Accord every 2000 miles - because it was really cheap and took me 10 minutes at lunch. Now that I no longer have a lift at my disposal, I use Mobil 1 and go every 5000. I use the same oil and interval with my other vehicles. My previous Pontiac with a Quad 4 engine ran on Castrol Dino oil for 170k and was changed every 3k - never burned a drop. I am a firm believer of clean oil and have seen the internals of many engines where the owners thought oil changes weren't important enough or too expensive to worry about (or it was a lease and they didn't care either way). A Mobil 1 oil change (at home) cost me about $30 - $35 and done every 5000 miles, makes my cost for frequent oil changes about $600 - $700 over the course of 100,000 miles. My engines have no sludge in them that I can see in the heads or anywhere else. That's just my $0.02.

As far as your engine goes - figure out what the value of the car is, get an estimate on a rebuild or remanufactured or used engine and see if that is worth it to you. A paid off car is nice, but the still require money when they get up in the miles.

well said there ... couldn't agree more ... i've always change my cars at 3000 miles religiously and the corvette/X5 at 5000 with Mobil 1 ... knock on wood no issues

thatsmrmastercraft
02-04-2012, 09:44 PM
I recently sold my 1995 F150 with 451,500 miles on it. At the half way point I replaced the original engine with a built Jasper engine as I was working as a sales rep for them. The original engine was still in good shape and went into the Ford dealership mechanics truck as payment for the swap. When I sold the truck, the Jasper engine was still going strong. Both engines were run with Valvoline synthetic for the first 150,000 miles, then switched to plain Valvoline for the remainder of their life. I changed oil every 3000 miles - I don't even want to calculate how many oil changes that was. No engine trouble for the life of the truck, though I replaced a few other parts.

onewheat
02-04-2012, 11:07 PM
I don't even want to calculate how many oil changes that was.
Only about 150 oil changes. :D

thatsmrmastercraft
02-04-2012, 11:21 PM
Only about 150 oil changes. :D

Yikes. I guess I should have bought my oil in 55 gallon drums.

mikeg205
02-04-2012, 11:34 PM
This is what your engine will look like when you change your oil at 15k miles and by the way this was a 2001 bmw 525i with 86k miles on the clock, they changed it every 15k per bmw.

Should bought a benz.... :D

jamisonsbrodie
02-08-2012, 05:32 PM
Car was into the mechanic this morning and he recommended that I have the PCV and hoses changed out due to their notoriously bad design. He didn't believe their to be any major engine issues with the oil consumption such as rings or valve seals. He also recommended that I use the JB Total Oil System Service next time i need an oil change due to mileage. I am familiar with the bad PCV system, as it froze up the one time I had the car parked outside in sub-zero temps for 2 days last winter while snowmobiling, and subsequently had oil blow out the oil filler cap all over the engine bay. The quote is ~$680 parts and labor + tax(BMW dealership wants $1050), but I can do it myself for $200 of parts and 3-4 hours. I plan to shorten my oil cycle to 6k-7k and will probably use 10-30 in the summer vs 5-30.

BTW, I called the BMW dealership to ask about the oil consumption and they told me that with my mileage, a quart per 1,000 miles is not out of the ordinary. Surprising, but good to know

scott023
02-08-2012, 06:02 PM

Mother of pearl. That's beyond horrible.

thatsmrmastercraft
02-08-2012, 06:17 PM
Mother of pearl. That's beyond horrible.

I don't know how I missed that picture last time through this thread. That is way worse than I would have thought.

onewheat
02-09-2012, 12:42 AM
If there is that much sludge in the head, imagine the restriction in the oil galleries and the build-up in the ring grooves.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
02-10-2012, 10:47 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I am a little surprised at how many people follow the jiffy lube recommendations though (3,000 miles) vs the manufacturer. I realize that 15k is a lot and i have actually shortened it up the last couple years, but 4-5k on synthetic, really? I guess it depends on the conditions too, hwy vs stop and go. I am having a compression and leak down test done on thursday and i will report back. I know these are notorious for having bad cvv (pcv) systems, I had an issue a couple winters ago due to the pressurized crank case. I can guarantee that my engine looks nothing like the one in the pics..

Did you get the results of the compression test and cylinder leakdown test.

jamisonsbrodie
02-13-2012, 12:22 PM
Did you get the results of the compression test and cylinder leakdown test.

The mechanic thought it would be a waste of time/money, and was confident it was the PCV system. He said if there were any compression issues, that the computer would register a misfire.