PDA

View Full Version : 1983 Stars & Stripes restoration project

Australian Waterski Mag
02-02-2012, 10:12 PM
Hello from Australian Waterski Magazine. We just wanted to let the members of this forum know about a restoration we are doing on a 1983 Stars & Stripes, fitted with the original 351 PCM with PowerSlot option.
The boat was in poor, non-running condition so we're looking to do a full restoration including new paint / gelcoat restore, new interior, running gear & trailer, involving some local businesses who advertise with us.
Anyway, will post some pics of the hull / paint shortly as it has been completed.
Here are the pics of the boat as we found it. The colour scheme will be white / dark blue (metal flake) rather than the double blue in these pics once complete.
Interested to hear any views or thoughts.

Barefooter92
02-02-2012, 10:16 PM
Looks great. On the edge of my seat waiting for more! Good luck!

thatsmrmastercraft
02-02-2012, 10:19 PM
Welcome to Team Talk. Love to see another beauty brought back to life. Keep the pics coming.

keith3613
02-02-2012, 10:44 PM
I'd be interested in what's left of that old ski mirror. Please email Keith at keith3613@tx.rr.com.

tph
02-02-2012, 11:10 PM
Is that an early '83 with wood stringers or a late model with the fiberglass system? Looking forward to your updates!

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
02-02-2012, 11:42 PM
I'd be interested in what's left of that old ski mirror. Please email Keith at keith3613@tx.rr.com.

Don't mean to thread jack but, Shipping from australia gonna cost, east tx skier has one for sale in marketplace. A lot closer to home.
http://www.mastercraft.com/market/showproduct.php?product=4279&cat=14

rjracin240
02-03-2012, 12:13 PM
Looking forward to hearing about your project, is there a web site where we can also follow along?

Did a search believe this might be the link

http://www.waterskimag.com.au/

Australian Waterski Mag
02-03-2012, 05:52 PM
Hi Kieth. I think we'll hang onto everything for the moment. Tom

Australian Waterski Mag
02-03-2012, 05:55 PM
Looking forward to hearing about your project, is there a web site where we can also follow along?

Did a search believe this might be the link

http://www.waterskimag.com.au/
That's the correct link for our website. We haven't got anything online at the moment however. But will do as we start to make progress.

Australian Waterski Mag
02-03-2012, 06:02 PM
Is that an early '83 with wood stringers or a late model with the fiberglass system? Looking forward to your updates!
I'll get back to you on that. The boat might even be an 82 now I think of it. I'll check next time I see it. Floor feels pretty solid anyway, so hopefully stringers won't need to be replaced.

psychobilly
02-03-2012, 08:41 PM
Before you spend a lot of money on new gel coat/ paint you may wanna do a search in this forum on gelcoat restoration. A lot of times these old boats can be saved without trashing the OEM finish. Get with Jim@BAWS for the decals too.

This is Gunna be a looker.

tph
02-03-2012, 11:25 PM
Before you spend a lot of money on new gel coat/ paint you may wanna do a search in this forum on gelcoat restoration. A lot of times these old boats can be saved without trashing the OEM finish. Get with Jim@BAWS for the decals too.

This is Gunna be a looker.

I agree. The problem with that year boat can be a break down in the clear gel over the flake, but from the pictures that looks good.

Australian Waterski Mag
02-05-2012, 09:06 PM
It is an 82 model, not 83 as I originally stated.
Just on the gelcoat / paint, we've already gone done the repaint path, and refurb the clear over the flake as it had broken down badly in patches. There were a number of deep scratches and some damage in the gelcoat as well. We had an experienced boat painter in Melbourne work on the hull. It was a bigger deal than any of us expected, but hopefully the results will be worth it. We'll be able to upload some shots hopefully this week. Here are some closer pics of how it arrived.

Australian Waterski Mag
02-06-2012, 08:43 PM
Just wondering if anyone has got any interior photos of a boat similar to this one. This is the look we'll be going for. So probably white seats with blue piping. Blue or grey carpet. But would love to see some more detail of how interior.

tph
02-06-2012, 09:07 PM
Just wondering if anyone has got any interior photos of a boat similar to this one. This is the look we'll be going for. So probably white seats with blue piping. Blue or grey carpet. But would love to see some more detail of how interior.

Here are some pictures of what your original interior probably looked like (different color):

tph
02-07-2012, 01:16 AM
And..03geetee on this board did a fantastic job of improving on the original:

Storm34
02-07-2012, 04:43 PM
Blue carpet will be easier to keep clean than grey. Replacing my aftermarket grey (done by the PO) which was in great shape but trashed from his lack to cleanliness when changing fluids etc.

thatsmrmastercraft
02-07-2012, 04:46 PM
No problems with my grey carpet.

Australian Waterski Mag
02-07-2012, 06:50 PM
Great, thanks for the feedback and photos. The red boat looks sensational. We've got a really good trimmer working on it over here. Hopefully the end result will be good.

Australian Waterski Mag
02-07-2012, 07:02 PM
Can anyone tell me what stud pattern these wheels use?

tph
02-07-2012, 07:10 PM

5 x 4 1/2 usually

03geetee
02-07-2012, 07:33 PM
Thanks TPH, any help you need on your interior down under let me know I have some close ups. Good luck on bringing her back from the dead.

JTR

Australian Waterski Mag
02-07-2012, 07:48 PM
Thanks TPH, any help you need on your interior down under let me know I have some close ups. Good luck on bringing her back from the dead.

JTR

Beautiful job on your interior. I am wondering about the embossed "Mastercraft" on the back of the engine cover. Did you recreate that, or is that the original engine cover?

Also, would love to see how the swing up observer's seat works, and what's behind it. Ours is fixed, but plan on modifying it to swing up. So if you have any photos, that would be great.

tph
02-07-2012, 08:56 PM
Beautiful job on your interior. I am wondering about the embossed "Mastercraft" on the back of the engine cover. Did you recreate that, or is that the original engine cover?

Also, would love to see how the swing up observer's seat works, and what's behind it. Ours is fixed, but plan on modifying it to swing up. So if you have any photos, that would be great.

Basically, there's a continuous aluminum hinge across the top of the seat back and a gas strut to hold it in place. These aren't the greatest pictures but...

thatsmrmastercraft
02-07-2012, 09:20 PM

5 x 4 1/2 usually

5 x 4 1/2 is correct. You may use the metric 5 x 114.3

03geetee
02-07-2012, 11:42 PM

Aussie,

What I did was remove the original embossed section from the vinyl that came with the original interior. Then I scanned it with a scanner at an embroidery shop so they could use a machine to embroider the new piece of vinyl for the engine cover. I used a wine thread that matched the carpet and the same stitching I used on the seats.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a300/o3geetee/Interior003.jpg

I did not want to use the pipeing again as it dated the boat and always bothered me, I went this route instead....

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a300/o3geetee/InteriorShots002.jpg
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a300/o3geetee/Interior006.jpg

Here are just some random shots...I take no credit for the awesome job my guy did on the seats, I just helped with the layout and how I wanted it to look he delivered and blew my expectations away.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a300/o3geetee/Interiornewpics015.jpg
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a300/o3geetee/Interiornewpics016.jpg
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a300/o3geetee/Interiornewpics018.jpg

JTR

Australian Waterski Mag
02-08-2012, 04:06 PM
Thanks for the tip on the embroiding. Will talk with our trimmer about it. Those white seats look great too.

03geetee
02-08-2012, 05:10 PM
Thanks for the tip on the embroiding. Will talk with our trimmer about it. Those white seats look great too.

I went with a cream color instead of stark white, it appears very white in that light but its more of a cream vanilla color similar to the sand colored getcoat. Besides pure white would have been crazy to take care of.

JTR

Qwaxalot
02-08-2012, 05:40 PM
I went with a cream color instead of stark white, it appears very white in that light but its more of a cream vanilla color similar to the sand colored getcoat. Besides pure white would have been crazy to take care of.

JTR

Softscrub is your friend.

By the way, that interior is pretty spectacular. :)

03geetee
02-08-2012, 06:21 PM
Softscrub is your friend.

By the way, that interior is pretty spectacular. :)

Thanks guy!

Meguirs Marine cleaner for me, used it all this season and it keeps the stuff so moist and slick I love it. Built in UV protection too.

JTR

Slinkyredfoot
02-08-2012, 07:03 PM
Very nice interior pictures, you guys have got it down pat and undoubtly better than when they were first made. ;)

Australian Waterski Mag
02-13-2012, 10:00 PM
Our boat was orginally fitted with the wood dash (pictured). However, we intended to use a NOS metal dash insert once restored. But the speedos are different styles (and sizes). Is it a matter of sourcing the speedos for the metal-style dash? Are there other issue involved in replacing the wood dash (which was cracked and badly worn)?
I guess the other issue here is weather the metal dash was available on an 82 model. We had been assuming that it was an option.

Cloaked
02-13-2012, 10:20 PM
Our boat was orginally fitted with the wood dash (pictured). However, we intended to use a NOS metal dash insert once restored. But the speedos are different styles (and sizes). Is it a matter of sourcing the speedos for the metal-style dash? Are there other issue involved in replacing the wood dash (which was cracked and badly worn)?
I guess the other issue here is weather the metal dash was available on an 82 model. We had been assuming that it was an option.Not an option. It's just the way the styles of interior dressing changed within that era of year models.

Australian Waterski Mag
02-15-2012, 07:21 PM
OK, thanks. In which case it might be better to try to restore the wood dash. The big bulging Airguide speedos are too good to lose really. Anyone got any advice on refurbishing the current wood dash inserts?

damaged442
02-15-2012, 07:26 PM
You could always just use the present dash as a template, then go with whatever type of wood you choose. Or try to restore what ya got. What kind of shape is the present dash in? Is it sandable? Regardless, I would definitely keep the Airguides.

Australian Waterski Mag
02-15-2012, 07:35 PM
The lower panel is cracked, so the template idea sounds good. Thanks.

hosofpayne
02-16-2012, 09:52 PM
Stay with the wood and airglides for sure...seats look great too

Australian Waterski Mag
02-16-2012, 10:26 PM
I do like the metal dash, as well as the Airguides. We might even look at combining the two. It would just be a matter of cutting bigger speedo holes.
Anyway, here's a pic of where the boat's up to at the moment. Gelcoat / paint is done, apart from final rub down & decals.

thatsmrmastercraft
02-16-2012, 10:29 PM
Great progress. Love to see the work.:toast:

Cloaked
02-16-2012, 10:42 PM
I do like the metal dash, as well as the Airguides. We might even look at combining the two. It would just be a matter of cutting bigger speedo holes.
Anyway, here's a pic of where the boat's up to at the moment. Gelcoat / paint is done, apart from final rub down & decals.While you have it at this point, consider removing the mufflers and do a leak-check for small holes or leaks. No better time to do a fiberglass repair (if necessary) before you discover the leak when it's put back together.

Also a good time to consider a depth finder for installation sometime during (or before) the engine reinstallation. Easy to mount a transducer onto the hull floor.

Australian Waterski Mag
02-16-2012, 11:26 PM
Good advice, thanks Cloaked.

Bruce Carr
02-17-2012, 08:50 AM
Anyway, here's a pic of where the boat's up to at the moment. Gelcoat / paint is done, apart from final rub down & decals.

The old airguides are surface mounted meaning they do not require holes in the dash to mount them. If you want to use the newer aluminum dash, the diameter of the mounting flange on the older airguides will cover up the existing holes in the aluminum dash with room around the edge of the hole to receive the four screws that mount the old airguides. Make sense?

Australian Waterski Mag
02-17-2012, 05:24 PM
Perfect sense. Thanks Bruce.

wishart
02-18-2012, 11:41 PM
great progress.

From your picture...the paint/gelcoat looks very nice. Did you use gelcoat, or automotive type basecoat/clearcoat technique?

What type of materials did you use?

I am going to get involved with the paint project very soon...

thanks
wishart

Australian Waterski Mag
02-19-2012, 09:45 PM
Hi Wishart. We outsourced to a painter over here who does a lot of the ski race boats etc. We're really happy with the result.
He uses an automotive two-pack paint. Basically repaired and rubbed back the entire boat. Then he painted the underside - up to the gunnell - white, all in one go while the boat was upside down. It was then clear coated. The he flipped the boat, the did the metal flake areas, which need to be rubbed back by hand, and painted in blue candy transparent two pack. This area was then masked off, and the white top side of the hull painted. The masking was removed and the whole topside (white and blue) was then given a clear coat at the same time.
Sounds easy when you say it like that, doesn't it?

thatsmrmastercraft
02-19-2012, 09:51 PM
Hi Wishart. We outsourced to a painter over here who does a lot of the ski race boats etc. We're really happy with the result.
He uses an automotive two-pack paint. Basically repaired and rubbed back the entire boat. Then he painted the underside - up to the gunnell - white, all in one go while the boat was upside down. It was then clear coated. The he flipped the boat, the did the metal flake areas, which need to be rubbed back by hand, and painted in blue candy transparent two pack. This area was then masked off, and the white top side of the hull painted. The masking was removed and the whole topside (white and blue) was then given a clear coat at the same time.
Sounds easy when you say it like that, doesn't it?

That looks fantastic. I love flake.:love:

Australian Waterski Mag
07-13-2012, 01:41 AM
Hi All. It's been a while so I thought I would update. Our boat now has a new PCM 303, dash is wired in with new gauges etc, and the interior is just about done too. Some update photos for you. Our aim with this boat has always been to keep the original flavour but give it a tweak here and there too. We're pretty happy so far. Would love to hear what you guys think.
You can check into www.facebook.com/waterskimagazine if you're interested too.

xtnkshun
07-16-2012, 03:03 PM
Great looking S&S!!

I am curious where you got the NOS metal dashes. My 85 needs some fresh ones and I haven't had much luck finding them. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Australian Waterski Mag
07-19-2012, 12:31 AM
Hi there. We picked the metal dash up via Mastercraft in the UK. I will try to find out if there are any more available. I got the impression it was a one-off lucky find.

Australian Waterski Mag
07-19-2012, 12:56 AM
Getting close now. Windscreen is back on, steering wheel, battery, nav lights, deck steps etc. A new fuel tank has been manufactured and installed. We ran the boat briefly the other day and it sounds very nice. So only stuff left to do is boarding platform, install interior, get covers made. Ands its going on a new EasyTow trailer, who do nearly all the ski boats in Australia and make a great product. Stay tuned ...

Jeffer
07-19-2012, 01:32 AM
This is such a sweet job - and God knows I love seeing refurbs! Thanks for posting all the pictures and sharing the work, which is outstanding!

cptskier15
07-19-2012, 06:04 AM
How did you get the Mastercraft Decals redone on the boat?

Australian Waterski Mag
07-19-2012, 07:03 AM
Jim from Bay Area Watersports sorted the decals out for us.

cptskier15
07-19-2012, 08:17 AM
We are in South Africa, do you think he could print a set up and post them to us? As the decals you have are the same font as on our boat! Love what you have done to the boat!!!

mayo93prostar
07-19-2012, 08:52 AM
nice job overall, and nice fuel tank. it looks like the fuel lines should go behind the tank but if you have room between the tank and cover, then will be fine. keep us up to date.

xtnkshun
07-19-2012, 09:13 AM
Hi there. We picked the metal dash up via Mastercraft in the UK. I will try to find out if there are any more available. I got the impression it was a one-off lucky find.

That would be great. THANK YOU!

thatsmrmastercraft
07-19-2012, 09:17 AM
We are in South Africa, do you think he could print a set up and post them to us? As the decals you have are the same font as on our boat! Love what you have done to the boat!!!

Give Jim a call. I'm sure he will be able to help you out.

00-1-813-996-2297 (I think that is the correct country code. I never use it.)

http://www.bayareawatersports.com/

Australian Waterski Mag
07-20-2012, 12:13 AM
We have ignition! Here are some pics of the test run at Melbourne's famous Performance Marine. Motor sounds great (as a brand new PCM 303 should). The rear boarding platform has been restored and put back on too. Shame it's cold and raining and the middle of winter over here.

Lumbergh
07-20-2012, 01:49 AM
http://i470.photobucket.com/albums/rr66/Lumbergh556/o-face.jpg

cptskier15
07-20-2012, 02:37 AM
Strange seeing those newer motors in a S&S, thats one lucky boat!!!

oxberger
07-20-2012, 12:45 PM
Just curious, since you're getting a new trailer, what are you going to do with the old?

thatsmrmastercraft
07-22-2012, 11:29 PM
Just love those first start-ups.

tph
07-23-2012, 07:09 PM
Very Cool. Does the original engine cover fit over that new motor without alteration?

Australian Waterski Mag
07-23-2012, 08:31 PM
Very Cool. Does the original engine cover fit over that new motor without alteration?

The PCM sits a bit higher, so the engine cover required an extra 10cm approx added to the base. It's still with the trimmer at the moment, but will post pics later.

Australian Waterski Mag
07-23-2012, 08:34 PM
Just curious, since you're getting a new trailer, what are you going to do with the old?

Not sure at this stage. It's definitely seen better days.

psychobilly
07-23-2012, 09:17 PM
Give Jim a call. I'm sure he will be able to help you out.

00-1-813-996-2297 (I think that is the correct country code. I never use it.)

http://www.bayareawatersports.com/

It really depends on where you're calling from. Most cells overseas calling into the US it would be +1 813 nine nine six 2297. That's how it is for me in most places. + and then country code

Australian Waterski Mag
12-19-2012, 10:26 PM
Hi guys. Just wanted to call back in and let you know the "Australian Waterski Magazine" restoration project is done. We've had the boat out on the water and it runs a treat.
It now runs a new PCM 303 motor, sits on a new EasyTow trailer, has all new gauges / switches etc. Plus new paint and interior.
Thanks for your help and advice via this forum at various stages of the resto.
Tom

thatsmrmastercraft
12-19-2012, 10:30 PM
Beautiful work. :toast:

madcityskier
12-20-2012, 07:13 AM
Amazing work. That is one sweet looking boat. I love it when a plan comes together.

Ironhorse
12-20-2012, 08:19 AM
Very Nice!

Jim@BAWS
01-18-2013, 04:41 PM
It was great to be noted in the resto...They paid for the shipping we took care of the rest.

Looks AWESOME to say the least

Thanks for allowing us to be part of the project

Jim@BAWS

Australian Waterski Mag
01-21-2013, 07:23 PM
Thanks for your help on the restoration project Jim. The decals were spot on, and it was a pleasure to deal with you.
Regards, Tom
ps - I've attached a screen grab of the Q&A with Jim we ran in our Sept 12 issue of Waterski Mag.

Australian Waterski Mag
01-21-2013, 07:28 PM
I'll try again with a PDF ...

thatsmrmastercraft
01-21-2013, 08:33 PM
Very cool write up.

bbymgr
01-21-2013, 10:43 PM
Way to represent Jim!!

Skir68
07-19-2013, 04:19 PM
:toast:BEAUTIFUL boat! I really like the wheels on that trailer! VERY CLASSY!:toast:

strad
07-19-2013, 09:46 PM
Beautiful boat. Love blue metal flake! I wish mine was metal flake, but alas it is solid blue.