PDA

View Full Version : Ditching acquired Tower-Bimini help

ski/hunt
02-02-2012, 11:04 PM
We have made the decision that we are not looking for a younger MC at this time so it's time to get our current 96 PS205 right. We bought the boat knowing we would get this tower off of it. The only reason it has stayed on there is for the Bimini. So my question is----There is some hardware on the boat from what I figure was for the Bimini before the PO put this tower on. I'm not planning on putting a tower on this boat since we are skiers and planning to have the kids follow suit...until they force me in to boarding....
So I know I have 4 holes to fill and refinish. I know with the family I have to get a Bimini. The help I hope some of you fellas can give me is where can I get a Bimini to fit the hardware I currently have. If it's possible I want to use this stuff that's there. If it looks like I'll have to go with new mounting points I'd like to have that determined before I have the glass and gel work done so I can include the holes from this stuff also. Any help would be great!!! Even a pic of a Bimini that has the same mounting hardware would be great!! I'd like to see how these worked. http://img.tapatalk.com/4583da85-4e54-864d.jpg

ski/hunt
02-02-2012, 11:13 PM
Sorry not all pics loaded first attempt

The "bracket" looking one is by the "hand rail" behind driver seat and observer seat. The screw head is right about where the driver is and I assume the little loops are to hook the strap to---there is a set up by the "vent" intakes and a pair back by the bracket thing.

Thanks guys!!

ski/hunt
02-02-2012, 11:36 PM
The "For Sale" tower...

tph
02-03-2012, 12:16 AM
Sorry not all pics loaded first attempt

The "bracket" looking one is by the "hand rail" behind driver seat and observer seat. The screw head is right about where the driver is and I assume the little loops are to hook the strap to---there is a set up by the "vent" intakes and a pair back by the bracket thing.

Thanks guys!!

Looks like the back is set up for web straps with hooks or brace struts like these:

gotta_ski
02-03-2012, 03:55 AM
Are you sure you really want to get rid of that tower? It looks pretty decent, and that bimini setup isn't cheap. A bimini mounted on the boat instead of the tower will be lower, meaning more ducking/stooping to move around under it. Especially with the kids maybe wakeboarding in the future, you'll spend way more buying a boat bimini now and a new tower someday than if you just kept your current setup.
Also, have you met my favorite toy for when we're not on waterskis? It's my skyski, and its a seriously fun thing to do behind the boat, and the tower is pretty crucial for it.

All that said, it looks like just about any bimini will fit your hardware, you'll just need to figure out the approx. height the spacing is set up for.

SkiDog
02-03-2012, 09:40 AM
Cary, I gotta tell ya man, that is one UGLY tower bro!:uglyhamme:uglyhamme:uglyhamme
I certainly mean NO disrespect!

ski/hunt
02-03-2012, 11:04 AM
None taken! When I was shopping for boats ps205's kept selling before I could get to them. When my wife found this one the morning it listed I took the 3 hr. drive to see it right away! By the time I got there to say "yes" I want it 5 more people had called. I bought the boat because of the great condition it was in. The tower was to be honest the only thing I DON'T love about it!! We just have used. Now that I know a newer boat is not in my near future I want to get the couple things added to this that the "newer" boats have that intices me. Mainly PP--4 blade prop--heater--and eventually tower. I want to see what the "weight" of this tower is doing to my slalom wake...Until my 8 and 10 yr. old really want to board or you (Dog) teach my that foil ski thing I have no reason to keep a tower on there. Don't tell my wife but I have this crazy idea that by the time I have to have a tower for those needs I'll just buy an X boat to park next to the prostar (that's in my perfect world though!!:) )

TNH2oSkier
02-03-2012, 11:13 AM
Go talk to Jim at Viper Customs in Vonore about fixing your fiberglass, and getting you a good bimini with quick connects. Thumb screws are a pain. You might also check into a zero flex tower with a nice bimini. The tower isnt going to make a huge difference in the slalom wake of your boat, and it makes an awesome bimini mount.

An open bow with a properly mounted (low) bimini is a head knocker.

mayo93prostar
02-03-2012, 01:01 PM
ski/hunt,
it looks like the mount you have on the side would work with a standard competition ski boat bimini from Overtons, that is if you want to go with a fairly reasonably priced solution. They are typically 30 inches high from the mounting point. You just need to measure the width of your two mounting points to select the right one. I got one from Overtons for my 93 prostar 190 and mounted the center point in almost the same spot as the existing mounts on yours. Here are two pics.

Stritt
02-08-2012, 09:22 PM
The back supports look like they are for poles versus straps, we did this to our 205 so we would have the option of using it or keeping it closed.

89BigBlock
02-19-2012, 07:39 PM
ski/hunt,
it looks like the mount you have on the side would work with a standard competition ski boat bimini from Overtons, that is if you want to go with a fairly reasonably priced solution. They are typically 30 inches high from the mounting point. You just need to measure the width of your two mounting points to select the right one. I got one from Overtons for my 93 prostar 190 and mounted the center point in almost the same spot as the existing mounts on yours. Here are two pics.

Do you happen to know the part # for you top? I need one of these for my 89. The catalog is difficult to sort.