PDA

View Full Version : Depth finder in a 1988 Prostar

cjprostar
02-02-2012, 08:34 PM
I just bought a 1988 Prostar 351 w/ velvet drive 1:1. It is the platinum/teal color and in good shape for the age. 506 hrs. My question is this. There is a transducer glued to the floor of the bilge behind the engine. The wire is coiled up under the dash with no sign of a guage ever being hooked up. Could this be a factory installed transducer and all I need is the guage? It sure would be easy to install the guage and run a couple wires to the acc switch, if I knew which guage to get.

Thanks,
C J

etduc
02-03-2012, 10:27 AM
I just bought a 1988 Prostar 351 w/ velvet drive 1:1. It is the platinum/teal color and in good shape for the age. 506 hrs. My question is this. There is a transducer glued to the floor of the bilge behind the engine. The wire is coiled up under the dash with no sign of a guage ever being hooked up. Could this be a factory installed transducer and all I need is the guage? It sure would be easy to install the guage and run a couple wires to the acc switch, if I knew which guage to get.

Thanks,
C J
No it's not factory. Depth finders start at $99.00, for a complete kit. Be sure, if you buy one, that it will read accurate @ speed.

east tx skier
02-03-2012, 12:54 PM
Faria makes a nice one that's just depth as well as one that also has air and water temp. I have the latter and really like it.

rjracin240
02-03-2012, 12:55 PM
Congrats on the boat, and welcome to Team Talk. We always enjoy pictures here of your new boat.

thatsmrmastercraft
02-03-2012, 01:01 PM
Congrats on the boat, and welcome to Team Talk. We always enjoy pictures here of your new boat.

Welcome aboard cjprostar. Enjoy pictures might be an understatement.:rolleyes:

cjprostar
02-03-2012, 10:16 PM
Thanks guys. Looks like I will get a new one and glue the transducer to the bottom of the bilge. I just can't bring myself to drill holes in this old boat to mount it out back. Water temp is not all that important to me. I've got a 14 year old to check that for me.LOL I posted a couple pics over on the prostar thread.

C J