PDA

View Full Version : Swim platform pad coming loose

GoneBoatN
02-02-2012, 05:28 PM
I have a fiberglass swim platform on my 2010 X-15. The pad is coming loose in spots and when the sun hits it, causes the pad to bubble up in spots. The dealer wants to use CA (Cyanoacrylate) glue as recommended by MC. I'm not too keen on the idea as I think it would make replacing the pad a nightmare when time comes for a new one. Anyone have this problem and come up with a good solution to re-attaching the pad? :mad:

The kick in the butt is that this is the second time I'm dealing with this. When I bought the boat, the rubber pad was cracked. The dealer tried re-attaching the pad but the result looked like cxap. I said no good and by that time they would have to damage the platform to replace the pad. So I ended up with a completely new platform that has the foam rubber pad MC started using in 2011.

GT500 MC
02-02-2012, 06:01 PM
Sorry, I don't have an answer. Other than to go teak. A couple of stains per year and no worries.

bturner2
02-02-2012, 06:53 PM
I switched to teak after dealing with the black rubber pad on my 03 X2 that tacked black marks all over the interior every time you used it. When I got the new boat the only option I'd take for the platform was teak. It's not without it's down sides but it sure beats all the issues with fiberglass.

Thrall
02-02-2012, 07:19 PM
Read somewhere what holds them down good, but can't remember. The stuff I've used sticks fine to the gel, but not to the rubber. I can tell you contact cement and 3M spray adhesive, any flavor, DO NOT. Mine's sitting there ready to come off again although it's been sidelined by a teak deck. I like both decks and may use the 'glass one more if I could keep the pad stuck to it longer than 4-5 outings.

agarabaghi
02-03-2012, 09:04 AM
went teak.

bturner2
02-03-2012, 11:31 AM
I know this isn't what you're looking for but any chance the dearler would swap you out a teak platform? That is unless you really hate it. I know my dealer was doing this back in 07 when there were a lot of issues with the pads. That same dealer sold me the teak platform for my 03 X2 for I beleive about $150 as he still had a bunch from all the complaints about the rubber pad from back then. Just a thought......

GoneBoatN
02-03-2012, 03:18 PM
I don't have anything against teak but I like my color matched fiberglass platform with my boat. I figured I would go teak once the platform gets beat up enough as matching the color would be impossible at that point. Right now my platform looks like the day I bought the boat and I prefer to keep it.

I searched and found some other threads about this issue. Recommendations (with success) include

1) 3M 5200 Marine Adhesive Sealant
2) weldwood

If anyone used one of the two above without good success, please let me know including why.

I'll have to consider my options including letting the dealer CA the pad and then it is his problem if it turns out to be a mess or less than my liking.

ttu
02-03-2012, 03:58 PM
not a mastercraft platform but when i used to have a moomba outback i had to replace the padding on the platform and used 3M adhesive spray glue and it worked great.

MIskier
02-03-2012, 09:46 PM
I don't have anything against teak but I like my color matched fiberglass platform with my boat. I figured I would go teak once the platform gets beat up enough as matching the color would be impossible at that point. Right now my platform looks like the day I bought the boat and I prefer to keep it.

I searched and found some other threads about this issue. Recommendations (with success) include

1) 3M 5200 Marine Adhesive Sealant
2) weldwood

If anyone used one of the two above without good success, please let me know including why.

I'll have to consider my options including letting the dealer CA the pad and then it is his problem if it turns out to be a mess or less than my liking.

DO NOT use 5200 if youre worried about being able to replace the pad someday! You will be picking it off in pieces if you do.

Kevin@MWMC
02-06-2012, 01:56 PM
I am the one that used the 3M 5200 Marine Adhesive. Over 3 summers now and still holding strong. Put a strip of caulk around the outside of the pad as well for extra protection. Don't plan on replacing the pad anytime soon, still in great shape. Probably would be a beast to get off if needed, but we'll see what happens when that time comes.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk