PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Help for my X-Star

Hank182
02-01-2012, 02:18 PM
I need help determining what to do with my 2001 X-Star. I have a slight transmission fluid leak. I have oil residue on the floor of my engine compartment. I also have oil residue in the ski locker area when I get water in the bilge. When I pull the transmission dipstick the Trans fluid is pink in color. Any suggestions on how to fix this problem? Is it common?

mwg
02-01-2012, 02:44 PM
Do a search on transmission coolers. It sounds like your transmission cooler has been compromised and is allowing water to be pumped into the transmission itself causing it to overfill and venting into the bilge.

russlars
02-01-2012, 02:54 PM
You could also have a leak in one of your transmission seals. This happened with mine a couple years ago. This requires pulling the transmission and replacing the seals. Mine was done by the dealer and was around $800 if I remember correctly. Yours might be more since you have a v-drive.

Hank182
02-01-2012, 03:11 PM
Yes mine has a V-Drive. I am told that the motor will have to be removed to fix the seals. Cost is estimated around $2500. Is this something that is an ongoing problem? The MC dealer I purchased it from 6 months ago showed me a bill for replacing seals a year ago and I am needed it to be done again?

76S&S
02-01-2012, 04:10 PM
My 02 model had to have the seal replaced in 2010. It is an issue but not a yearly issue. I would check the trans cooler first, knowing that the seal was recently replaced.

And $2,500 is 2 to 2.5 times what the price should be from a reputable dealer. Just my .02

mwg
02-01-2012, 04:26 PM
All great points but is your fluid level ever low? Have you had to add fluid? If not then I think the fluid in the bilge is from the transmission venting from being overfilled/pressurized. You mentioned in your original thread that the fluid appears pink in color (not dark red like transmission fluid.. assuming you are using ATF) which also makes me think that it is diluted.. again I would start with the cooler.

QBhater
02-02-2012, 08:20 PM
When my tranny seals leaked in my V Drive. I did'nt have to pull the motor....but I had to remove the ski pylon and every part that was over the tranny. It took most of that day to get the tranny out. The Tranny was rebiult for almost 600.00 . This was done in 06

Hank182
02-07-2012, 01:33 PM
Yes the transmission fluid is going down very slowly. I had the transmission fluid replaced by a MC dealer and after about 8 hours of running I added approx. 8-10 ounces of ATF. I do not think that it was ever overfull. I have always checked the Trans fluid dipstick before each outing.

76S&S
02-07-2012, 04:37 PM
sounds like a seal then.