PDA

View Full Version : 2003 Prostar 190 restoration project

Tomi
02-01-2012, 12:22 PM
So, I was initially planning to share only after the project was completed, but decided to start a thread now instead. The story is that I bought this boat from insurance company after a storage roof fell on it last winter. I live and breathe in Finland.

Boat is PS190 -03 with standard engine at 350hrs, equipped with PerfectPass and in general in great shape... except for the damage from the roof fall. Damage was mainly some interior vinyl, engine cover, windshield (center and board) and glass damage in front and dash.

Decided to do all work except interior myself. Never worked on glass fiber or gelcoats so it is a learning experience at the same time. I have all winter to complete the project.

Tomi
02-01-2012, 12:28 PM
Dash removed... looks pretty innocent still

Tomi
02-01-2012, 12:30 PM
All damaged glass from dash removed

MIskier
02-01-2012, 12:55 PM
The deck hull joint on the starboard side looks to be the only area that could cause you problems when you are trying to repair it. Make sure you inspect the hull at the joint for any possible delamination.

Tomi
02-01-2012, 01:07 PM
Yep... thanks! Actually did that already and luckily there was no damage on the hull just deck. Saved a bunch of work. I am trying to find where I put the pictures of the stripped front, but if I cannot find it, I will just have to settle with one with lamination done.

mikeg205
02-01-2012, 03:13 PM
So, I was initially planning to share only after the project was completed, but decided to start a thread now instead. The story is that I bought this boat from insurance company after a storage roof fell on it last winter. I live and breathe in Finland.

Boat is PS190 -03 with standard engine at 350hrs, equipped with PerfectPass and in general in great shape... except for the damage from the roof fall. Damage was mainly some interior vinyl, engine cover, windshield (center and board) and glass damage in front and dash.

Decided to do all work except interior myself. Never worked on glass fiber or gelcoats so it is a learning experience at the same time. I have all winter to complete the project.

Nice wake ... and most importantly it runs... :D

thatsmrmastercraft
02-01-2012, 03:20 PM
Looks like you are off to a great start.

03 35th Anniversary
02-01-2012, 03:53 PM
All damaged glass from dash removed

While you have the dash apart like that, I'd recomend changing the color from light gray to black. It will cause less glare on the windshield on sunny days.

Tomi
02-02-2012, 01:31 AM
While you have the dash apart like that, I'd recomend changing the color from light gray to black. It will cause less glare on the windshield on sunny days.

Ok, so I should have named the thread as repair or something since I plan to do more than just restoration. :D
But for this idea it is too late since it would have had implications to other interior decisions as well. The dash will be upholstered to improve the look and feel of it, but the color will remain pretty close to original. Here is a sneak preview to the interiors and colors used with it.

Tomi
02-06-2012, 02:11 AM
Some progress. Front glass fiber was easy to do. Put a thin layer of Sika clear silicone between the overlap and just glassed over and cut the edge once cured. Worked well. Got the shape mainly done with glass mat so not too much filler needed.
The other picture is the puzzle for engine cover bottom. That was up when the roof came down and was broken just about everywhere. That is also almost complete now and has found shape and rigidity again.

Tomi
02-06-2012, 02:13 AM
Dash is getting some new fiber too.

Tomi
02-06-2012, 03:43 AM
Here are some more pics. It took some 3 times filler and lots of sanding to finally get the shape correct. The photo shows the first layer.
Gelcoat was applied with a brush. That stuff is a pain to sand compared to filler (note to self - next time apply more even layers).
The white was a touch too yellow. I decided to sand down more and redo with a mix that would be exact match.

mikeg205
02-06-2012, 08:31 AM
looking good... I sprayed gel coat with an air brush...made for even coats...but still had to sand and buff...

Tomi
02-06-2012, 08:33 AM
What did you use to thin it enough to get it through the gun? Styrene? How much?

mikeg205
02-06-2012, 08:36 AM
I just used more liquid hardener and upped the pressure and a wide nozzle - Used badger airbrush http://www.badgerairbrush.com/Anthem_155.asp.

Tomi
02-06-2012, 08:51 AM
I just used more liquid hardener and upped the pressure and a wide nozzle - Used badger airbrush http://www.badgerairbrush.com/Anthem_155.asp.

That is pretty strange. I tried significantly bigger gun with 2,0mm nozzle and absolutely no chance of getting the gel to run through. Would need serious thinning, but styrene is pretty hard to find, so I just brushed the stuff. Would love to try the spraygun again but last time attempt was pretty hopeless.

mikeg205
02-06-2012, 10:08 AM
That is pretty strange. I tried significantly bigger gun with 2,0mm nozzle and absolutely no chance of getting the gel to run through. Would need serious thinning, but styrene is pretty hard to find, so I just brushed the stuff. Would love to try the spraygun again but last time attempt was pretty hopeless.

This is what I started with.

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=White_Gel_Coat_With_Wax_Quart&i=81446&str=gel+coat&merchID=4005

Its pretty thin to start with.

Tomi
02-09-2012, 01:06 PM
Dash sanded and then gelcoat applied. Just final sanding and polish and dash damage is done.

thatsmrmastercraft
02-09-2012, 01:14 PM
Nice looking work.

Tomi
03-03-2012, 12:26 PM
Some progress... got dash completed and installed the windshield. Center door is an exact fit even though dealer claimed that it would not work as part number was incorrect. Bought it from Great Lakes anyways and the risk paid off great.

Tomi
04-05-2012, 12:27 PM
Taking it easy for a change, but some progress.
* Added a sub + amp
* Installed the sensor for sonar
* Gelcoat polish with compound all around (except bottom which is separate activity)
* Installed some of the interiors that has so far arrived from upholstery

Pretty pleased with the final touch on the front. In some light you can still see that some work has happened, but it's ok... leaves me something to improve over next winter.

Some pictures:

holdenh2o
04-06-2012, 11:25 AM
Great job. I really do envy you guys that can repair gelcoat. Boat looks amazing.

Maybe I missed it, but what did you pay for it up front, and what do you have in it in repairs?

NatesGr8
04-06-2012, 12:30 PM
looking great! Gelcoat and glass can be done by anybody! Just need to have patience and sandpaper!

kawagaskier
04-06-2012, 01:46 PM
Wow! Excellent job! The boat looks like it turned out great! I have some similar (not as bad) repair to do on my boat so its reassuring seeing this repair and how well it turned out.

Cloaked
04-06-2012, 03:35 PM
Taking it easy for a change, but some progress.
* Added a sub + amp
* Installed the sensor for sonar
* Gelcoat polish with compound all around (except bottom which is separate activity)
* Installed some of the interiors that has so far arrived from upholstery

Pretty pleased with the final touch on the front. In some light you can still see that some work has happened, but it's ok... leaves me something to improve over next winter.

Some pictures:dang that looks great!.

shepherd
04-06-2012, 04:06 PM
Wow, great job!

That wood(?) boat in the background looks interesting.

mikeg205
04-06-2012, 11:55 PM
wow...looks great...

Tomi
04-08-2012, 09:33 AM
Thanks for your kind comments! I will spend the next 4-6 weeks to finalize the project and then it's finally warm enough here to get back to water.

I'll keep it a secret as how much I paid the insurance company, but it was definitely competitive. Cost of repairs:
Windshield, center piece and some maintenance parts about 900usd + shipping to Finland+ taxes. I would estimate total for these about 1600usd.
Gelcoat + fiberglass + resin + fillers: 400usd
Interiors, vinyl + work: not yet fully known, but estimate 1200usd
+ lots of sandpaper and some tools
Sparco sliding rails for the driver seat: 60usd
3M DiNoc carbon film for dash parts: 50usd

The rest like audio upgrades, sonar+plotter, ballast, ropes, led lights etc. etc are not really repair costs but nice to have additionals.

thatsmrmastercraft
04-08-2012, 09:37 AM
Looks like this project is working out great for you. Looking forward to see the finished pictures. Great work.:toast:

holdenh2o
04-08-2012, 09:49 AM
Tomi,

Again great job!...

DemolitionMan
04-08-2012, 10:41 AM
That is a great job!!!

Tomi
05-12-2012, 12:32 PM
Project is pretty close to completion. Today buffed the bottom of the boat. See before, lifted for buffing and after pictures below.
Before:

Lifted the boat to work through the bottom. Used Farecla compound and wax.

The result was pleasing at least to me...

Tomi
05-18-2012, 09:13 AM
Apart from installing new speakers and washing the interior it is done!

Tomi
05-18-2012, 09:17 AM
Some more pictures of the details. Lighting in the garage is challenging so some picture quality is not that great.

DooSPX
05-18-2012, 09:37 AM
Looks great! Take off that huge fishing dept finder and you are all set to hit the lake and ski!!! :)

mikeg205
05-18-2012, 09:44 AM
Project is pretty close to completion. Today buffed the bottom of the boat. See before, lifted for buffing and after pictures below.
Before:

What was on the bottom some kind of coating?..would be great to have a lift like that in my garage... :D

Tomi
05-18-2012, 09:45 AM
Looks great! Take off that huge fishing dept finder and you are all set to hit the lake and ski!!! :)

Thanks! That Lowrance unit is HDS-5 which is GPS plotter and depth finder.

I don't fish but lakes around here are pretty hard to navigate and have lots of hidden rocks and such so I really do need it. There are 187 888 lakes and 179 584 islands in those lakes and the country is about half the size of Texas.

Tomi
05-18-2012, 09:48 AM
What was on the bottom some kind of coating?..would be great to have a lift like that in my garage... :D

I don't think the bottom was ever cleaned before. I think it was just years of algae dried on layers. Definitely not paint.

Yeah... two industrial size cranes makes working much easier. The downside was that a place that big is really hard (and expensive) to keep warm over the winter so working with gelcoat took some patience.

DooSPX
05-18-2012, 10:20 AM
Thanks! That Lowrance unit is HDS-5 which is GPS plotter and depth finder.

I don't fish but lakes around here are pretty hard to navigate and have lots of hidden rocks and such so I really do need it. There are 187 888 lakes and 179 584 islands in those lakes and the country is about half the size of Texas.

I stand corrected! too bad its not a little smaller! The boat looks amazing! Thats the exact boat I wanted for a long time and I really like the updated interior! Do you ski? I hope so with a boat designed to only ski. :D

Tomi
05-18-2012, 11:54 AM
Do you ski? I hope so with a boat designed to only ski. :D

Absolutely! Slalom is my preferred style. I do also wakeboard. I have the skylon pylon and some fatsacs for it also. I presume that wake won't be huge, but I couldn't do inverts anyway. Lot's of sking and good times at the lakes with the family.

Tomi
05-18-2012, 12:02 PM
I stand corrected! too bad its not a little smaller!

Yep. There still seems to be pretty low number of combo units that are really small but would still have decent size and resolution display for chart data. This one fits pretty well so that it does not block any visibility and still allows using the center door. Once the cover is off, it also blends pretty nicely to the dash (all is relative, I know. It's ugly but tolerable)