PDA

View Full Version : ski course etiquette question

cmarston
01-31-2012, 08:47 PM
Question for the members that use the ski course. We use a public ski course and have always used my parents 88 Centurion. I picked up an 03 X30 this last year and was surprised to find the wake manageable for skiing at 32 to 33 mph. You get a pop but it is skiable.

As you can imagine, my mc is much more reliable and has perfect pass. I wouldn't mind trying it in the course for some casual course skiing. We know how to replace the bouys. Just curious to get some opinions as to whether or not you think it would be rude to use such a large boat through the course?

mikeg205
01-31-2012, 08:52 PM
Are there any posted rules? would your boat damage the course? What's the attitude on the body of water purist?

Is there a club that manages the course?

cmarston
01-31-2012, 09:09 PM
No rules that I am aware of. There was a ski club that I joined but do not know if it is still active. Probably best to just try to ask them but sometimes they aren't there when we go. Don't think the X 30 would damage it but have never taken such a large boat thru the course.

mikeg205
01-31-2012, 09:13 PM
:D:D:DIf I lived by you...we could go together...and I would have your back after a set or two...:D:D:D

MIskier
01-31-2012, 09:18 PM
Boat guide buoys are only 90.5" on center for a record capable course. With an X-30 I'm pretty sure you would be very close to that for your waterline beam, and once you add the balls you lose another 9" of clearance due to the radius of the balls.

jamisonsbrodie
01-31-2012, 09:28 PM
Boat guide buoys are only 90.5" on center for a record capable course. With an X-30 I'm pretty sure you would be very close to that for your waterline beam, and once you add the balls you lose another 9" of clearance due to the radius of the balls.

That's exactly what i was thinking. That is pretty wide boat to be running through the course, however if you know those that own the course, then they may not care.

MIskier
01-31-2012, 09:40 PM
If you tear off every boat guide buoy on the way through I think they might...

Sullivan
01-31-2012, 10:19 PM
I would idle out to the course one day when they are skiing and ask.

jamisonsbrodie
01-31-2012, 10:33 PM
FWIW, we wouldn't allow it in our course.

madcityskier
01-31-2012, 10:34 PM
Idle over and see how well it goes thru at in gear speed. If that seems ok and you feel that there's enough fudge to allow for the pull of a skier while driving at speed given your driving ability try it out. Be prepared to repair anything you break. This means that you must necessarily know how the course is designed and installed. Had someone wrap a rope around their prop picking up a skier once. He figured if he nailed the throttle he could just cut a rope with the prop and be on his way. He ended up poking a piece of conduit that the boat guides snapped to thru the bottom of his Bay liner. Long story short, be sure you know everything about what you're getting into ahead of time. And don't cut a main line and then leave figuring the owner of the course is probably sitting at home today with a few spare hours to kill. That's when the course will stop being left up for the public to use.

Jerseydave
02-01-2012, 03:55 AM
Install PP Stargazer on your Centurion and stick with that for course skiing. :D

h2oskiluvr
02-01-2012, 05:56 AM
I would love to see it. I wouldn't be too happy if I was the owner and half the boat guide buoys were gone though. It doesn't sound like that is something you would do.

I keep trying to imagine what that wake would be like. I think my 197's wake is too big. :)

Bouyhead
02-01-2012, 06:49 AM
Like Sullivan said, I would ask the owners first before i did anything.

cmarston
02-01-2012, 03:06 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone. It appears to be the consensus that the boat is pretty wide to be using through the course without getting the okay from the guys that maintain it. That is kind of what I was thinking but figured I would throw it out there . . . just really nice to have the MC that starts when you turn the key and you don't have to worry about turning it off or it won't start up again as the 88 Centurion, which has been primarily used in saltwater for most of its life and has some issues.

shepherd
02-01-2012, 04:09 PM
A guy on the river where I learned to ski had a ski course. I asked about using it and he said he didn't want anyone using the course unless they had a tournament ski boat (I had an I/O Stingray at the time).
It was shortly after that when I bought my first Mastercraft. :)

Best answer is to ask the guy first and see what he says. Of course, any A-hole can just run through there any time he wants if it's on public water, but you're not one of those since you're asking the question here. Really nice of you to ask.

jonnyski2
03-01-2012, 07:48 AM
Nobody Likes to do course Maintenance.It sounds like you know the answer. Too big for the course. By the way what is casual course skiing?

jonnyski2
03-01-2012, 07:52 AM
I agree with Shepard very nice of you to ask!

jwroblew
03-01-2012, 09:19 AM
I too would like to know what "casual course skiing" is?

Patrick Hardy
03-01-2012, 09:36 AM

I would think that it means when a open water skier infrequently skis a course. IMO ask the owner if you can ski his / her course and ONLY use the 88 Centurion. If you really want to piss off a course owner, ski a wakeboard boat thru their course. I believe that if you do not own something and or pay for it, then do not use or touch it without permission.

Bouyhead
03-01-2012, 09:42 AM

With no offense to the OP me thinks it's the old take it or leave attitude. Kind of like "oh look a slalom course, lets go ski" which is cool. Hardcore slalom guys know it's WAAAAAY more than that.

--------

jwroblew
03-01-2012, 10:01 AM
There is a right tool for every job. if I had access to s a ski boat to ski a slalom course then I would use that instead of a wake board boat. It's kind of like saying, "can you hand me that pipe wrench to pound in this nail" when there is a hammer laying right next to the wrench.

cmarston
03-01-2012, 12:05 PM

I guess I coined a new phrase! :) When you have a good ski boat for the course, you can cut as hard as you want through the wake without having to worry too much about the wake messing you up. However, with a boat with a bigger wake, you have to be concerned about the wake when you cut through it. Basically, that is what I meant. That is, you just won't be skiing as agressively as you would normally. I prefer skiing the course over open water skiing, but I just don't get to use a course that often.

The reason I posed the question originally was just to get a feel for what people thought. I think I previously stated that it is great to have a boat that works and doesn't quit on you, etc. The Centurion that we use for course skiing is just really unreliable, but I am glad I posted the question and got some feedback. From the feedback, it appears pretty clear that the consensus is that the X-30 is definitely not a good boat to be using due to the damage it could cause to the course. Thanks again for the feedback.

Mgboyd25
03-01-2012, 12:32 PM
I have had a course set up on a public lake before and It does take alot to get everything set in place but dont be afraid to idle over and talk to the guys that have the course before you attempt. We had a number of people with big wakeboard boats and I/Os idle over to us wanting to try the course and we always offered to give them a pull through the course with our boat. So even if the x-30 is too large to fit through the boat guides dosen't mean you wont be able to get some sets.

jwroblew
03-01-2012, 12:41 PM
The other thing to consider besides damage to the boat guides would be damage to your boat. I had a friend that had a course that had the foam spongex boat guides, which were great for course durability but if you had a poor driver hitting them all the time with the boat, you would definitely see the wear and tear on the gel coat of the boat.

And sorry if I came across as being a d-bag when I asked for clarification on "casual", you guys are probably better skiers than me. If I would try to ski a course casually I probably wouldn't get passed 2 ball, that's why if I'm going to go easy I just free ski, far less frustrating for me.

cmarston
03-01-2012, 01:25 PM
The other thing to consider besides damage to the boat guides would be damage to your boat. I had a friend that had a course that had the foam spongex boat guides, which were great for course durability but if you had a poor driver hitting them all the time with the boat, you would definitely see the wear and tear on the gel coat of the boat.

And sorry if I came across as being a d-bag when I asked for clarification on "casual", you guys are probably better skiers than me. If I would try to ski a course casually I probably wouldn't get passed 2 ball, that's why if I'm going to go easy I just free ski, far less frustrating for me.

Totally didn't think you were coming across that way. Thanks, though. If anything, there is probably a good chunk of members that are probably thinking why does a guy want to take his big, tug boat through the course?! :) Didn't think about the hits by the boat guides on the gel coat . . . good point.