PDA

View Full Version : Buying a new dock in SW Michigan

JDJ_205
01-31-2012, 06:00 PM
Hi All,

I always appreciate the prompt and thorough feedback that I get on team talk.

Here's a question to throw out there. I'm looking to buy a new (or even used in good condition) dock. The one I currently have came with the house and its old and barely made it through last season.

With many of the marinas closed for the winter in my area, I'm having a hard time doing research on what to buy. I went to the Chicago Boat show but didn't have much luck with information there as everyone was touting their extremely expensive products. I've questioned just building dock sections but would still be interested in buying the structure.

All I need is 40 ft straight dock. The shoreline is sandy beach with a gradual sloping sandy bottom. At the end of the dock, its typically 5 ft with a slow drop to maybe 4.5ft (maybe 4ft) at the end of the season.

If anyone has any suggestions let me know.

Jimmy

Fast50dad
01-31-2012, 07:26 PM
Hi All,

I always appreciate the prompt and thorough feedback that I get on team talk.

Here's a question to throw out there. I'm looking to buy a new (or even used in good condition) dock. The one I currently have came with the house and its old and barely made it through last season.

With many of the marinas closed for the winter in my area, I'm having a hard time doing research on what to buy. I went to the Chicago Boat show but didn't have much luck with information there as everyone was touting their extremely expensive products. I've questioned just building dock sections but would still be interested in buying the structure.

All I need is 40 ft straight dock. The shoreline is sandy beach with a gradual sloping sandy bottom. At the end of the dock, its typically 5 ft with a slow drop to maybe 4.5ft (maybe 4ft) at the end of the season.

If anyone has any suggestions let me know.

Jimmy

Our Floe is wonderful and looks great!

mattsn
01-31-2012, 07:32 PM
+1 for Floe

Jerseydave
01-31-2012, 08:12 PM
http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Dock_Manual&i=33605&aID=602G1&merchID=4006

Overton's has dock hardware....build your own. Do you want floating or non-floating?

CottagerGreg
01-31-2012, 09:35 PM
i'd go with a fixed aluminum dock for the environment. fairly common and cost effective. go with a local vendor the "earns" your business.

blakehardesty
02-01-2012, 09:32 AM
There is a place i buy all lift and dock stuff and it is in SW Michigan if you want to call them. They are very helpfull and will awnser questions. boatliftanddock.com. 866-942-6349
They are in Plainwell, MI if that is close to you they will let you pick up there for free.

wiltok
02-01-2012, 11:16 AM
Where are you at in SW Michigan? I am in Sister Lakes - and have a great dock I highly recommend. Can't remember the name of it right now though - DOH!

JDJ_205
02-01-2012, 02:46 PM
I am in Sister Lakes as well! I'm on round lake (on the south side just east of the Round Lake Chalets). Where are you located?

Where did you get your dock?

94PS190
02-01-2012, 04:34 PM
O'donnel docks in Jones. I know the owner, very helpful and a good guy

wiltok
02-03-2012, 05:14 PM
I am on Magician - a few houses down from where Blue Fin Marina used to be (if you know where that was). I bought my dock from Randy at Midway - no longer in biz but I wouldn't be surprised if Al is a dealer now. My dock is sectional - aluminum and really light. My wife and I put it in (and take it out) ourselves in less than an hour. It's 96 feet long - so it's a pretty long dock. I have had it about 6 years - looks like new. I was just up last weekend - and for the life of me I can't remember the brand name. Let me do some internet searching - I can prob come up with it.

wiltok
02-03-2012, 05:23 PM
OK - I think it is made by the same company that makes "Roll a Dock" - Hewitt. Looking at the web site, however, doesn't look like they make my model anymore (kind of a bummer - I was thinking of expanding). Here is the closest - looks to be a pretty good design since it says you can put it in with one person.

http://www.hewitt-roll-a-dock.com/docks07/vers-a-dock.html

I'll take a look next time I am up to verify.

langedp
04-03-2012, 04:06 PM
Sorry to come to this thread late. It's been a long winter :)

It's not exactly in SW Michigan but not that far either and you can buy direct from the manufacturer. Schneider Fabricating in St. Johns, MI.

http://www.schneiderfab.com/lite-series-residental-docks/

I bought the Lite Series from him last year and was very happy with it. He will custom fab sections for you as well.