PDA

View Full Version : Airtech fuel pumps

kman
01-31-2012, 04:29 PM
I was curious as to how everyone was doing with the airtech fuel pumps.

I'm sure this is atypical, but I wanted to relay my experience. I have a 05 X10 with the MCX, so last winter I decided to do a preemptive strike and replace my Carter with the Airtech everyone was recommending. Well, it lasted right at 15 hours and the pump died. Then I decided I'd try the AC Delco EP356, only to find out from my local auto parts store that it was discontinued and was being replaced with the Airtech. Hhmmm, so a friend of mine, who also has a 05 MCX, had a spare Airtech, so I installed that one hoping that I had just got a defective one. I ran it the rest of the season with no problems, say 30+ hours. As a side note, my buddies Carter died over the summer, but he just went ahead and replaced the whole module. So, this fall, we decided to cut open both the Airtech and the Carter to see the difference. What we found, and i think it has been posted on here before, is that the drive mechanism for the pump is just two little plastic tabs, and when the pump fails, it's usually because these tabs break off. The Airtech has the same type drive mechanism, two little plastic tabs, but the interesting part is that the Airtech tabs were smaller than the Carter. :-(

I'll try to post pictures later.

Well, when I saw this, I said, there has got to be something better than this. I've always used Walbro pumps in my sports cars, and actually just put one in my truck. So, I started doing research and matched the specs of the Airtech to the Walbro GSS242. I ordered one online, and managed to get it installed. There’s a little more to the install, because it requires a different plug for the wiring. It’s also a little bit bigger/taller than the Carter or the Airtech, but I managed to get it to fit. At this point, I can’t vouch for how well it’s going to do, because I only have a few minutes of run time on it as I was winterizing it, but I checked the pressure and it looks good so far. I’ll definitely update as I get some hours on it.

So, long story short, if anyone is looking for an alternative to the Airtech, you now have a Walbro. :-)

Oh, here is where I found specs on the Walbro. www.autoperformanceengineering.com/html/fpspecs.html

kman
01-31-2012, 09:55 PM
Here is a pic of the Airtech with the tiny broken tabs. Can't seem to find the one with the tabs from the Carter, but they were slightly larger. Still think it's silly to use plastic tabs to generate 60+ PSI.

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g301/hunterk2001/Boat%20stuff/Airtech.jpg

Here is a pic of the Carter tabs someone else posted.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=24965&highlight=carter+pics&page=6

ntidsl
02-01-2012, 10:03 AM
Replaced mine 3 seasons ago without any issues...glad I did it...so that if it happens again, I can do it again...

bturner2
02-01-2012, 05:38 PM
Mine just finished 2 seasons and I now have a spare Delco sitting in the boat ready to go. Also just did a quick Google search and Amazon has the Delco ready to ship. Buy em up now boys.....

http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-EP356-Fuel-Pump/dp/B000C9PCUC

rgardjr1
02-01-2012, 06:04 PM
Mine just finished 2 seasons and I now have a spare Delco sitting in the boat ready to go. Also just did a quick Google search and Amazon has the Delco ready to ship. Buy em up now boys.....

http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-EP356-Fuel-Pump/dp/B000C9PCUC

Gotta love Amazon-I can have the Delco over-nighted for less than the spare Napa pump I replenished last summer. My uncle had to use my Napa spare last summer on his 2004 PS 205V. The boat was completely run out of gas once that I remember, but the fuel pump went a couple more summers before failing. Thanks to this site I was able to diagnose the problem over the phone and direct my uncle to the repair thread on this site. He was able to fix the problem before the rest of us made it up to the lake for the weekend. Lost of great information on this site regarding fuel pump replacement options.