PDA

View Full Version : X2 mooring cover

g-mantrix
01-30-2012, 09:18 PM
just received the cover for my 2007 X2 that was owed to me, it is labelled as a mooring cover, similar to the one shown here as in type but for my X2
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MasterCraft-Mooring-Cover-w-Tower-Cutouts-Black-07-10-X15-/250880833459
is this cover suitable to trailer the boat with the cover on?
or is it purely to cover the boat whilst stationary?
It has the ratchet system at the back

BrooksfamX2
01-31-2012, 01:09 AM
Send it to me and I'll check it out... I need one.

If it is the OEM cover, you can trailer with it on.

hbomb
01-31-2012, 04:28 AM
g mantrix......hey brother......
this link shows the cover.........
this is the cover we have on ours and it is a dedicated travel cover.........
make sure it has the two plastic half tube vents, one on each side........ratchet at rear
can see ours if you want..........
http://www.waterskis.com/MasterCraft-X-2-Boat-Cover-p/mastercraft_x-2_boat_cover.htm

g-mantrix
01-31-2012, 05:48 AM
Thanks for replies, fitted it to my boat this Arvo and yes all good. Has the vents, ratchet at rear and straps around the sides & rear. So it looks like it will travel well

chopp
01-31-2012, 05:58 PM
these travel great . we actually got a dvd with ours showing the correct way to fit it , not that theres really more than 1 way , just the order in doing things. does your have the poles with it as well to stop the water pooling , they work great.

g-mantrix
01-31-2012, 07:03 PM
Hey Chopp, yes it has the poles,although I am somewhat puzzled re all the straps but I haven't looked into it too much is there a link to the DVD you mention?

chopp
01-31-2012, 10:42 PM
not sure about a link , but if you want to send me a flash drive i can put it on and send it back.i am in nsw, just near newcastle.

chopp
01-31-2012, 10:44 PM
i might even have a spare disk laying around i can put it on, will have a look. it is very easy to sort out the straps once you see how it goes.

agarabaghi
02-01-2012, 09:37 AM
Pretty sure 2 go to the hand rails int he front, 1 pole in the bow, over the windshield to the back/middle, and 1 strap to the ski pylon? Thats how my X1 was...

bturner2
02-01-2012, 05:45 PM
If we're talking the black cover I wasm't too impressed. Yes you could tow with it. It also turned the vinyl black and didn't keep water out very well. I switched to a Sunbrella cover last year from skiboatcovers.com which has done very well. Now I only use the old black cover if I need something to tow with.

g-mantrix
03-05-2012, 11:02 PM
Pretty sure 2 go to the hand rails int he front, 1 pole in the bow, over the windshield to the back/middle, and 1 strap to the ski pylon? Thats how my X1 was...

just to be sure, is the anti pooling kit, ie straps and poles only used when cover is fitted &stationary and wet weather? I guess not when travelling with cover on

bturner2
03-06-2012, 09:13 AM
Here's the web site for the company that makes the covers. They have a video of a boat being towed with the cover on and the poles in place.

I only pulled mine with the cover on when it rained and had the poles in. The cover started getting worn quickly with the seams starting to spread and the cut ends of the cover starting to fray. It also added to the color bleeding onto the vinyl and started rubbing the coating off the windshield frame. It wasn't much for keeping the rain out of the boat either.

ON the plus side it was the best fitting cover I ever owned and looked really good. Just wish they would have made it out of another material.

bturner2
03-06-2012, 09:13 AM
Now for the link.....

http://www.commercialsewing.com/marine.html

Tri4X2
03-28-2012, 06:54 PM
Anyone know where you can buy the anti pooling kit? I broke one of my straps and it's pretty useless now.

BrooksfamX2
03-28-2012, 07:33 PM
You should be able to get bulk strap material at a fabric store or upholstery shop. The upholstery shop should be able to make you one also....... you can get buckles at most hardware stores.

Thrall
03-28-2012, 07:50 PM
Ditto on what bturner has said.
In addition, my buddy tows with his 06 X15 OE cover on, poles in with no problem.
(Funny we all talk about the cover staining the vinyl, my boat included. His interior is a very light gray, looks white until you put it next to white vinyl and he leaves the cover on on his open lift all summer and no vinyl staining. Must jsut be the pure white that is susceptable.)
I wouldn't reccomend going real fast with the cover on.
I towed my X2 about 1200mi last summer when we moved. Covered it since the boat was loaded with gear/luggage. I protected the windshield with split swin noodles taped to the windshield, since the PO had scratched the powder coat on the frame, and I buffed it out. SHrink wrapped the entire rubrail area with about 15 layers so the cover wouldn't touch the gel anywhere.
The cover lasted aout 700mi before it wore a hole on the walk thru glass bumper and the rub rail cover in back, started shredding. Swim noodles got destroyed, windshiled frame scratched again, Shrink wrap wore thru, scuffed the black gel again.
This was at 80+mph and I didn't have a problem until we hit a long stretch with a huge head wind. The cover was getting beat like I was doing 120mph!
In hindsight I should have just covered it each night and left it off for towing. The trip cost me a good cover and hours of polishing.

On the rain poles...Even with them, water will pool some in the back. Needs a couple extra props if left unattended in the rain.

treiter
03-28-2012, 08:52 PM
Hi All

Great information on this forum. I have just purchased my first MC, a 2009 X-15, and am sitting here waiting for winter to leave and summer to arrive. Sitting in the X in the heated garage watching the snow melt with a beverage. Still wish it was summer.

I have the same cover and pole system as described by everyone. The previous owner and good friend told me he NEVER towed with the cover on and never used the poles since the cover fit so tight. He did not mention how well the cover handled water, but the cover feels like a cotton blend so I am thinking the poles are important to insuring the water runs off. Anyone have any pictures with the poles in place prior to putting the cover on? How much rain can the cover take? I have not noticed any black staining on the red/white seats, but my friend is a fanatic when it comes to clean!!

Any other tips/tricks short of a new cover?

Tri4X2
03-28-2012, 09:02 PM
what about the black part on top of the pole? know where to get one of those?
Ditto on what bturner has said.
In addition, my buddy tows with his 06 X15 OE cover on, poles in with no problem.
(Funny we all talk about the cover staining the vinyl, my boat included. His interior is a very light gray, looks white until you put it next to white vinyl and he leaves the cover on on his open lift all summer and no vinyl staining. Must jsut be the pure white that is susceptable.)
I wouldn't reccomend going real fast with the cover on.
I towed my X2 about 1200mi last summer when we moved. Covered it since the boat was loaded with gear/luggage. I protected the windshield with split swin noodles taped to the windshield, since the PO had scratched the powder coat on the frame, and I buffed it out. SHrink wrapped the entire rubrail area with about 15 layers so the cover wouldn't touch the gel anywhere.
The cover lasted aout 700mi before it wore a hole on the walk thru glass bumper and the rub rail cover in back, started shredding. Swim noodles got destroyed, windshiled frame scratched again, Shrink wrap wore thru, scuffed the black gel again.
This was at 80+mph and I didn't have a problem until we hit a long stretch with a huge head wind. The cover was getting beat like I was doing 120mph!
In hindsight I should have just covered it each night and left it off for towing. The trip cost me a good cover and hours of polishing.

On the rain poles...Even with them, water will pool some in the back. Needs a couple extra props if left unattended in the rain.

bturner2
03-29-2012, 07:43 AM
The PO I bought my boat from lost the poles so I didn't get a set with my boat. I was able to order them from the manufacture. Per my previous post here's their website......

http://www.commercialsewing.com/marine.html

Millertime
03-29-2012, 09:49 AM
I just got my cover back yesterday. Got a section of material sewn in the front to protect the vinyl from staining as well got button patches sewn in where the poles go with new poles with buttons on top. No more straps.

JohnE
03-29-2012, 10:06 AM
I've towed from Massachusetts to Charlotte about 900 miles each way with the cover on. I bought a piece of car cover fabric online (about 6' x 30' for about $30.) cut it in half and placed it on the gunwale under the cover. Ratcheted tight it worked perfectly. No scratches. I averaged 75 mph. Absolutely no issues and I did this several times. A better solution would be to have a "diaper" made for the boat as I believe Sodar did.