PDA

View Full Version : CDX Monza System 8 or Triumph ... Trick Skis?

PendO
08-09-2005, 05:42 PM
Okay, so my current ski is a 2001 CDX (I think, but cannot remember the year for sure) but it has the top that is not flat ... thinking of switching for no real great reason, just wondering if it is time for a technology upgrade ... I'm not skiing the bouys, just free skiing for the past 23 years ... my snow skis are an old pair of volkls, and with kids I doubt I will throw down the jack to buy a new fancy pair of shaped skis that I might (MIGHT) use a few times a year, however, in my own mind I could justify a new ski. Anyone switched from the CDX to one of these?

Also, never tried trick skiing, but wondering if it is fun ... I mean, is it fun like wakeboarding and surfing, or too much work to enjoy like the aforementioned.

TIA

jamisonsbrodie
08-09-2005, 05:56 PM
Keep the CDX, get new snow skis. The CDX is still one of the Best skis ever made. If it is a 2000 or newer, you aren't going to see a benefit from a new or shaped ski. However, those old Volkl's are ancient technology. I switched from my Volkl P-20's a couple of years to some new Atomic mid-shaped skis and WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can not believe the difference. I always believed that I would never ski on anything but Volkl's, but after trying out the new technology (from Volkl and Atomic) the difference was amazing. They are so easy to turn, and versatile all over the mountain.

east tx skier
08-09-2005, 06:01 PM
Agreed. Get new snow skis. I hung onto straight snow skis for a while because the "parabolic" skis were so drastic. Now, the shaped skis are ripe and make a great deal of difference. I just picked up my second pair of Rossi Bandits. Great skis!

May be selling my older Bandits 191 cm (drilled no bindings). Anybody interested?

jake
08-10-2005, 09:43 AM
Anyone switched from the CDX to one of these?
TIA

I just switched from the CDX to the Monza. Huge difference in the course, I'm not sure the differences are going to be as notable for free skiing. The biggest difference between the CDX and the Monza (besides the advancements in construction materials and methodology) is the rocker. The CDX has a continuous rocker, meaning the entire bottom of the ski is a gradual curve. The Monza has a 15" flat spot under the boots. This "flat forebody" allows the ski to find an edge much quicker allowing you to get cross course faster and more consistently.

Skies of older technology mostly had the continuous rocker (the O'brien Mapple is one exception I know of) to get good turning capabilities. The newer all carbon skies have very different flex and rebound characteristics that allow the ski to turn very well even without the continuous rocker. So they can have the flat rocker and you still get a ski that turns well, and has a much bigger on edge sweet spot.

Andy Mapple does a good job of explaining the benefit of the flat rocker on his slalom video. Check it out if you get a chance.

Like I said though, these benefits are going to be most noticeable in the course, less so in the open water.

The system 8 is the shaped version of the Monza...slightly wider in the tail and a slight shape to the edge.

Jorski
08-10-2005, 02:02 PM
**The system 8 is the shaped version of the Monza...slightly wider in the tail and a slight shape to the edge.**

According to Eddie Roberts, the System 8 is identicle in every way to the Monza except for the core material.

jake
08-10-2005, 02:06 PM
**The system 8 is the shaped version of the Monza...slightly wider in the tail and a slight shape to the edge.**

According to Eddie Roberts, the System 8 is identicle in every way to the Monza except for the core material.

You're right, I just looked out at their website. My mistake.

BrianM
08-10-2005, 03:16 PM
Just got my Monza in the mail yesterday. Bindings are on the slow boat from Canada so I haven't had the chance to ride it yet.

MarkP
08-10-2005, 03:22 PM
Just got my Monza in the mail yesterday. Bindings are on the slow boat from Canada so I haven't had the chance to ride it yet.
Wow, Congrats!!!! I want to try one of those, BAD!! What bindings are on the way??

BrianM
08-10-2005, 04:11 PM
What bindings are on the way??

Fluid Motion Carbon Double Six http://www.jagersport.com/doublesix.htm

Don't know what I am looking forward to the most. Ski or bindings?