PDA

View Full Version : Wake washing out 2004 X2

mallees
01-29-2012, 08:03 PM
I have had my X2 since new and have put 850 hours on it. This season for some reason the wake has started washing over, and we have to ride a fair bit faster to get a clean wake. I have approx 600 lb up the front (lead/sacs) stock belly sac and 2 x 400lb fly highs in the rear to replace stock hard tanks. We used to ride at about 23 mph but are now needing to ride at 25mph min and even 26 if we have a few extra people in the boat. I have checked the speedo with a gps and it is correct.
Yesterday I tried a different prop to see if that helped but it made no difference. The only thing that we have changed is the front fin due to hitting a big floater at the start of the season. It is the newer style fin with MasterCraft cast into it. The other 2 fins are still originals. I used a straight edge when I installed it so I'm confident it is pretty well lined up with the others.
I am happy to ride faster, but I'm worried that my kids will hurt themselves more if they catch an edge at this speed.

Anyone with any ideas, surely this has happened to someone else.

mikeg205
01-29-2012, 08:08 PM
Are the wakes washing over on each side? Have you tried different weighting combinations? I don't believe the tracking fin would affect the wake - imho.

mallees
01-29-2012, 08:14 PM
Yeah the wake is washing on both sides, What I dont understand is that this is a new issue. The wake has been fantastic at 23mph for 8 years, and now it has changed.

thatsmrmastercraft
01-29-2012, 08:23 PM
Did the problem start when you hit the log and bent the tracking fin? If so, perhaps there is some misalignment with your running gear.

mallees
01-29-2012, 08:32 PM
Did the problem start when you hit the log and bent the tracking fin? If so, perhaps there is some misalignment with your running gear.

I'm not sure, the fin was bent early in our season, and I had just bought a new board, ( which i was struggling with ) so we were running with front ballast only. The wake is clean if we leave the back empty, it is also a lot smaller obviously. Now that I have worked out my board, i have been filling all ballast again, and it is only now that we have noticed the problem.

mikeg205
01-29-2012, 08:38 PM
My one friend has a 97 Prostar which ballast up over 800lbs. We are always tweeking to get wake from washing over. You may need more weight up front or a less in back. Have someone sit on one side and see if makes a difference. you're 600lbs up front and 800lbs in back...try 600 in back...etc.

mallees
01-29-2012, 08:48 PM
My one friend has a 97 Prostar which ballast up over 800lbs. We are always tweeking to get wake from washing over. You may need more weight up front or a less in back. Have someone sit on one side and see if makes a difference. you're 600lbs up front and 800lbs in back...try 600 in back...etc.

But why has it changed? I have been running this ballast configuration for 8 years and it has been fine.
I think the stock belly sac has another 350lbs so i have more in the front than 600.
We tried a 500lb sack in the walkway yesterday but it made the wake worse. It was a bit bigger but we needed to go faster again.

mikeg205
01-29-2012, 09:30 PM
But why has it changed? I have been running this ballast configuration for 8 years and it has been fine.
I think the stock belly sac has another 350lbs so i have more in the front than 600.
We tried a 500lb sack in the walkway yesterday but it made the wake worse. It was a bit bigger but we needed to go faster again.

Good question...damn hydrodynamics? could a fin disrupt the water flow significantly under the boat that much to change the flow thru the prop wash? Now you got me puzzled. Gotta be climate change...then...:rolleyes:...the water has changed...

I would change the weights to see if there's any effect...but that's just me.

If all else fails...try getting an old style tracking fin?

MIskier
01-29-2012, 10:13 PM

Approach it scientifically by only changing one variable at a time. Go out and test with one other person in the boat and use the same person on subsequent tests. If you have been using this EXACT SAME setup since the boat was new then you will likely find a shaft with some runout and or a bent strut. A tweaked fin would not cause a problem like this on both sides of the wake.

Also make sure that your bags are not shifting in the rear lockers as this would cause the problem.

mallees
01-29-2012, 10:27 PM
I might get my old tracking fin straightened, and I must admit that i have not run a line from the fins to the shaft strut, although it looks ok to the naked eye, maybe the strut is slightly bent.
Ballast bags are not able to move around as they are the same width as the lockers.

g-mantrix
01-29-2012, 11:03 PM
I believe to fix this you will need an upgrade to a pickle fork X2...)

Seriously 25mph is way too fast for most of us, get more weight up front, doesn't answer your concerns though

mallees
01-29-2012, 11:55 PM
Haha Good try Ray.
I tried with a sac in the walkway and it was worse.

MIskier
01-30-2012, 01:18 AM
Naked eye wont tell you squat if the shaft is bent. You need to go and get a feeler gauge to check the shaft for run out.

Another thought that I forgot to put in the first post. The area that you boat, has it experienced a large change in depth where you are running in much shallower water than you are used to?

mallees
01-30-2012, 01:48 AM
Water levels are the same as they have always been.

Jerseydave
01-30-2012, 09:38 AM
My buddy had an X-1 and from our experience and from what I read on forums that hull likes a lot of weight in the front. Maybe try your setup but with the rear sacs only 1/2 full? See if the wake gets cleaner.

Or, start out with everything empty and try adding a little water front and rear until your washed out wake appears again? That way you know when to stop adding weight.

Not sure why things have changed for you after 8 years. Do you have a trim tab on that boat?
(I'm guessing you don't) You may need to add one.

Do you run ballast when your kids ride? I would assume little kids need to go slower therefore your ballast should be empty.

mallees
01-30-2012, 04:59 PM
We have tried with the back only 1/2 full and the wake does clean up at slower speeds, but the wake is obviously smaller. If I'd wanted a small wake I would've bought a Bu. :)
When my 10 yo son rides, we have the front full and the rear about 1/4 full and the wake is clean at 22.5mph.

No trim tab, maybe that is another option.

JRW160
01-30-2012, 05:27 PM
How far back are you riding? I have to ride pretty fast to get mine clean past 75'

mallees
01-30-2012, 06:15 PM
I'm riding at 75 but the wake is washing a bit at 70.

mikeg205
01-30-2012, 07:06 PM
I suggest going after the scientific method...now there's an excuse to get on the water....

Bring a rider and spotter, digital camera and pad of paper. Document weight of all occupants and gear.

Document wake at 19, 20, 21, 21.5, 22, 22.5, 23, 23.5, 24 No riders no ballast.
Put rider in water ... document again at same speeds...note weight removal of rider from boat.
Add ballast document how much from how much back
repeat...

post pictures..

What's changed in the last 8 years? Are your riders all the same weight still? Is owner or boat same weight?

Something changed and you need to track it down...sounds tedious or you could go the easy route and but a new 2012 x-star :D

mallees
01-30-2012, 07:35 PM
I like the idea of a 2012 X-Star sitting in the shed, unfortunately, there is no way I would get the purchase past the minister for war and finance.
I may have stacked on a few pounds :cool: but only 10-15, so I don't think that would have any bearing. I will try and take out the camera this weekend and get a few pictures.
I think we are expecting good weather, air temp around 90F and water temp 82f. :)

mikeg205
01-30-2012, 09:12 PM
I like the idea of a 2012 X-Star sitting in the shed, unfortunately, there is no way I would get the purchase past the minister for war and finance.
I may have stacked on a few pounds :cool: but only 10-15, so I don't think that would have any bearing. I will try and take out the camera this weekend and get a few pictures.
I think we are expecting good weather, air temp around 90F and water temp 82f. :)

Damn...nice weather...I know its summer by you...I can make a wake wash over by just shifting my weight in the back of a wake board... I am 6' 185.. so I move opposite of wash over to fix wake...or I go sit up front...

90 degrees... very nice... 55 in chicago area today....