PDA

View Full Version : Closed loop winterization

jbair14
01-28-2012, 06:11 PM
I have a buddy who just bought an '04 X-Star with the 6.0L closed loop Cadillac motor. He is currently towing it back from CA to CO and wasn't sure if it needs to be winterized. The previous owner noted he ran anti-freeze in it and had never winterized it. It does not have a heater or shower. Please let me know if you still need to go through some type of winterization process with the closed loop cooling system. :)

Thanks for any help!!

jvbaca
01-28-2012, 07:25 PM
I have the same engine with closed loop cooling and run antifreeze (RV pink stuff) into the ballast tanks (which I rinse and empty in the spring on the driveway). I run antifreeze (RV pink stuff) into the fresh water intake until it's coming out the exhaust. I've got the fresh water intake line spliced so I can have the engine suck the antifreeze in. Then I disconnect the raw water intake from the impeller. Have stored the boat indoors in a large barn that is not heated (a water bottle does not freeze in the barn if left in there).

I run fresh water through the engine in the spring (on the driveway) to flush out the antifreeze before hitting the lake. Seems to be working so far here in Denver.

Hope this helps!

Would love to see pics of your friends X-Star. Where do you guys boat at?

rhsprostar
01-28-2012, 11:40 PM
Yup, needs to be winterized. I have that motor LQ9 in my 197.

The basics:

I drain the heater exchanger by pulling the plugs on the ends (the middle one is the antifreeze, leave it in)

Undo the coupling on the hose between the two exhaust mainfolds.

Take off the raw water intake at the transmission cooler and make sure it drains also remove any weeds that nay be present.

Shake the hoses up and down to get any water out.

Check the strength of the coolant with a glycol tester.

That's about it.