PDA

View Full Version : What to buy?

BamaCraft
01-27-2012, 12:11 PM
Forgive me twice , i know this has been ask 1M times but its hard to get much from key word search. I am typing in a rush so spelling may not be that great.

1st i need to mention my current boat - I have a VERY nice 1992 PS 205 that i will be selling after i find a new(er) boat ~($14,900). I will be posting some pics and description soon.

I am at a loss. This is a huge investment and i keep bouncing from boat to boat and cannot make up my mind. Granted, thinking may change drastically once i start test driving a few. we love to do all watersports and are only rec level as far as any are concerned, except for surfing which i havent done yet. Love our boat now but gotta go bigger and something with a better ride after noon so the family and friends can cruise around. We are fam of 5. most friends have 2-3 kids too. Weekends are fun but usually leave half on the dock when skiing, tubing and boarding.

I am looking for an X series boat. Prefer something i can ski, board, surf, cruise in. I grew up skiing behind a I/O. Dont expect what i have now as far as flat wake, i do all my slalom before 9 or after 6ish anyway. Any decent wake to cross is probably ok with me since i am not all that anyway. I am probably a "B" as far as being a skier. Prefer a 2008 or newer.

The X15 as far as versatility and smooth ride sounds nice but for another ~10K (or get newer 15) i can get a larger boat 35 or 45. good rough water ride but cant fit quite as many folks in it as compared to 35 & 45. Fuel consumption? What engine is a must?

The X25 is nice but dont think skiing behind it is an option whatsoever? Plus, its the same price as a 35 or 45 if not more. Rough water ride would be great tho. Probably on the bottom of list for now.

X30 is nice but i am trending with pickle fork for room. This is one where if i decide pickle fork is not all that, then why not the X30 over the X15? maybe slight advantage over 15 unless someone can offer the cons of the 30 over the 15. Fuel consumption is bad? What engine is a must?

The X35 is great too, but if i go with this one why not jump to a 45? $$ is probably a wash. The 35s spectator seat on some models, or all, folds either direction for facing fwd or rear. My wife would like that i think. Dont like the fridge option so would have to find one without that. good rough water ride, maybe could ski? plenty of wake for us intermediate boarder/ surfers. Fuel consumption is pretty bad? What engine is a must?

The 45, very similar to the 35 aside from spectator seat and is a tad bigger. Seems to be more of a popular boat so may be easier to a good deal or colors/ options we are looking for. Fuel consumption is very bad? What engine is a must?

Any specific year to avoid with certain options? Whats the best engine by size/ year.

Thanks for any advice!

holdenh2o
01-27-2012, 03:12 PM
If $ not a concern, a gently used x45 would be my choice.

But!, I'm not you. Prioritize your criteria. Then you can begin to narrow down the boat for you. This game is full of compromises; only you know what's most important/desired in a boat. Factor the amount of use, type of use and amount you wanna spend and take it from there. Good luck.

jafo9
01-28-2012, 07:23 AM
Glad to see another Smith Lake member around here. We are in a similar situation with 3 kids and we like to bring friends along. I'm in the market as well. Since we have decided to keep our current boat, our budget is less than yours. FWIW, if I had the money, I'd probably opt for the X45 with the X30 as a 2nd choice. We're not too far from Duncan Bridge and I would think the X45 would handle the chop pretty well.

mikeg205
01-28-2012, 10:04 AM
use excel or a piece of paper - Write down everything you must have left column...... not paragraphs - next column write down the best and affordable boat to satisfy that need. next column price. then start eliminating boats... my pesrsonal favorite is a Prostar - if I had the means to pick I would go x-15. But sounds like population in boat is what I glean most important from your thoughts...If you can go big...x-45 and have a friend with a PS. I have a '95 205 - very smooth wake, I have friend with a 97 205 with tower...he turned it into an x-star (same hull as early x) but ballast is everywhere + tower, other friend has 2002 x-2 another great boat - nice room and ballast hidden away.

MIskier
01-28-2012, 11:15 AM
Forgive me twice , i know this has been ask 1M times but its hard to get much from key word search. I am typing in a rush so spelling may not be that great.

1st i need to mention my current boat - I have a VERY nice 1992 PS 205 that i will be selling after i find a new(er) boat ~($14,900). I will be posting some pics and description soon.

I am at a loss. This is a huge investment and i keep bouncing from boat to boat and cannot make up my mind. Granted, thinking may change drastically once i start test driving a few. we love to do all watersports and are only rec level as far as any are concerned, except for surfing which i havent done yet. Love our boat now but gotta go bigger and something with a better ride after noon so the family and friends can cruise around. We are fam of 5. most friends have 2-3 kids too. Weekends are fun but usually leave half on the dock when skiing, tubing and boarding.

I am looking for an X series boat. Prefer something i can ski, board, surf, cruise in. I grew up skiing behind a I/O. Dont expect what i have now as far as flat wake, i do all my slalom before 9 or after 6ish anyway. Any decent wake to cross is probably ok with me since i am not all that anyway. I am probably a "B" as far as being a skier. Prefer a 2008 or newer.

The X15 as far as versatility and smooth ride sounds nice but for another ~10K (or get newer 15) i can get a larger boat 35 or 45. good rough water ride but cant fit quite as many folks in it as compared to 35 & 45. Fuel consumption? What engine is a must?

The X25 is nice but dont think skiing behind it is an option whatsoever? Plus, its the same price as a 35 or 45 if not more. Rough water ride would be great tho. Probably on the bottom of list for now.

X30 is nice but i am trending with pickle fork for room. This is one where if i decide pickle fork is not all that, then why not the X30 over the X15? maybe slight advantage over 15 unless someone can offer the cons of the 30 over the 15. Fuel consumption is bad? What engine is a must?

The X35 is great too, but if i go with this one why not jump to a 45? $$ is probably a wash. The 35s spectator seat on some models, or all, folds either direction for facing fwd or rear. My wife would like that i think. Dont like the fridge option so would have to find one without that. good rough water ride, maybe could ski? plenty of wake for us intermediate boarder/ surfers. Fuel consumption is pretty bad? What engine is a must?

The 45, very similar to the 35 aside from spectator seat and is a tad bigger. Seems to be more of a popular boat so may be easier to a good deal or colors/ options we are looking for. Fuel consumption is very bad? What engine is a must?

Any specific year to avoid with certain options? Whats the best engine by size/ year.

Thanks for any advice!

X14V, X2, and X15 are the best choices as far as highly versitile cross over boats that have the ability to ski well, and take a number of people out with you. If ruff chop is a concern and you like the X-25 you may want to look at a CSX 220.

The CSX is a direct drive and the x-25 hull was derived from the CSX hull, which for a recreational skier has a wake that is skiable if you are looking for something to cut around behind. If you look you can also find some very good deals on the CSX.

X-35 would not be any fun to ski behind at all and is actually far bigger than an x-45 by volume.

The X-45 is a good all around boat for being so large, and they are quite popular so finding one with options you like shouldn't be hard.

BamaCraft
02-18-2012, 06:38 PM
Put a deposit down today. Between a X-55 and X-35. Wife did not like 45 (grrr!). Its all up to her test drive next week. I have listed our 1992 PS 205 on here in the classifieds. Also have a very sharp 2009 F250 SD Lariat Crew cab w/ 6.4L diesel for sale. I have pictures to send if interested. Been asking 41,900 but will take 40K firm! NO clue how we threw the 55 in the equation!

davidstan
02-18-2012, 07:47 PM
Can't see slalom skiing behind a 55 but you are all over the place :)

snork
02-18-2012, 08:14 PM
Wife has great taste however you might just as well hang up the slalom ski and look into wakeboarding, btw dont show your wife the X80

BamaCraft
02-18-2012, 08:28 PM
all over the place - yes! Nervous wreck trying to decide. boiled down to pickle fork for room. Really wanted 45 but wife likes 35 & 55. finally talked her into it so giving no reason to back out. none of those 3 are really ski boats. guess will cruise, board and surf, find a friend with a ski boat for early morning sets and return the favor for boarding in rough water afternoons.

mikeg205
02-18-2012, 09:02 PM
My advice...is if you're not sure than the boats you have picked are wrong...and you won't be happy over the long run. I got a PS 205 because I wanted a Ski boat with some space. My son and friends can throw inversion tricks on boat with just a little ballast.

be sure when you pull the trigger...remember it's not an investment...it's fun...and that is priceless.

mramerman@gmail.com
02-19-2012, 02:46 PM
We went through a similar process in 2010. I had a PS190 and remain a ski fanatic, but the fact remains that while the wake is flawless behind a DD190, it is a rough ride after noon.

We bought a 10 X14V. It has been a good compromise. I can still ski 28 off and not become airborne at the wake. Friends can wakeboard. We can also surf. Because of the Vdrive we have ample space for a large crew if we want to cruise.

Its been a great boat, I highly recomend.

Thrall
02-19-2012, 03:51 PM
Wow, you went from an X15 to a X55!
That should hold all your friends! Make sure they all bring gas money.:rolleyes:

Nick911
02-19-2012, 06:08 PM
What about the new X30? No pickle but is sposed to ski ok.

onewheat
02-19-2012, 07:51 PM
Love my X-15. My buddy likes skiing behind it, we board, cruise and surf and I can run around with more people than I usually care to and still have plenty of room - rated capacity is 14 and with the MCX, I have plenty of power and consumption isn't bad.

rkhodges21
02-19-2012, 09:17 PM
I hear you guys talking about the rough ride after noon in a ski boat. I imagine that is because these boats are made to not ride deep to keep the wake smooth where the wakeboard boats sit deeper into the water so they ride smoother. Is that correct? Sorry if this question seems dumb but I am not well experienced in the boating world especially with monohulls.
Bamacraft, I am really wanting a PS 205 for the versatility plus I just have one small child so I am thinking the space should be just fine. How does yours handle the rougher water? I want to make sure I get something my wife will feel safe riding in. I know that any MC is safe but if she gets jossled too much she will not want to continue boating. BTW good luck with your new purchase.

jafo9
02-21-2012, 09:30 AM
Update? I'm assuming you are buying at rambo. Great guys.

BamaCraft
02-21-2012, 10:19 AM
yes, Rambo. No update yet. We test drive Thursday. Actually the wife is test driving, I know im gonna love either of the 2 we are considering!

BamaCraft
02-21-2012, 10:41 AM
RK - Its really hard to answer not knowing how choppy your lake gets as compared to ours but will give a shot to explain. In smooth water by 10 or so the water is very calm and almost glass (before 9 its glass). The PS 205 is a very fun boat and an excellent boat to ski, tube, knee board or whatever strikes your fancy to do behind a boat. The handling, and response is second to none. However, by noon or so till 4 or 5 it starts to get pretty choppy. We go wherever but we have to slow down for the big boat wakes or just keep it at 20mph. On holiday weekends is where its bad on our lake. water is extremely rough, we put ours up on the lift around noon or so and just hang out on the dock. Plus, i do not like being out on the holidays with it that crowded anyway. I havent taken on water but when its rough you get sprayed now and then if there is some wind. My biggest issue is that we usually have 10-15 people. its just too small to accomodate that many people. Thats the main reason for getting rid of it and going bigger, more room and a better ride during afternoon hours. None of mine are big on skiing, i am the only one but i also like to board and surfing looks like a blast. Figure i have a few friends with ski boats that i can tag along with on their morning sets so wont miss much slalom time. I would let your wife get in one in the water. You mentioned your wife wouldnt like being tossed around etc..The 205s sit low, she may not feel safe. She wont get tossed around unless its really rough water but i would definatley take her for a test drive in one first. If you have any questions you can reply or send me a PM.

rkhodges21
02-21-2012, 02:52 PM
Ok Thanks for the info. My wife likes to cruise more than anything, and she would be happy with a pontoon, but I like just about anything that involves being towed behind a boat so I really want a veratile ski/board/surf boat. Thanks to TVA and the Army Corps of Engineers there are several lakes within 2 hours drive for me. My grandparents have a cabin on Center Hill which is on the edge of the Cumberland Plateau so we go there most of the time. It used to be real calm but it is not a well kept secret anymore, so just like us, most people are passing a couple lakes on the Cumberland River to come to Center Hill, so it is starting to get crowded. I have been on a 20' supra when that lake was choppy and the ride was ok if I remember correctly. It was a little too choppy to board but decent for surfing, so that's what we did. So I would think that the 205 would be ok for my wife and I. The only thing I would be concerned about as far as the space of the boat would be if I wanted to ski when we had 6 adults in there, cuz that would mean that no one would need to sit in the back seat. I would definitely like to test drive a few with her to get her impressions. I know she rode in an old i/o when someone was tubing so the driver was weaving all over the place, and she got kinda sick feeling, but the way a dd or vd steers is different, so I think she would be fine even if someone was tubing. If not, I would rather board or ski anyways. Have you posted your boat in the classifieds yet?

BamaCraft
02-21-2012, 07:37 PM
Yes its in the classified section. I hope to have more pics soon.

dbhoward
02-22-2012, 11:03 AM
Really don't think you'll be disappointed with either the X-55 or X-35. Purchased a new X-35 last summer and I absolutely love it! Especially like how deep the hull is and how heavy of a boat it is. Can get a little rough on Norris Lake so it's nice to have that smooth ride.

BamaCraft
02-22-2012, 02:45 PM
db - will you shoot me a PM? I have a few last minute questions. Thanks.

willyt
02-22-2012, 03:28 PM
Can get a little rough on Norris Lake so it's nice to have that smooth ride.

Yes, Norris, very rough. No good for boarding. Lots of snakes too. *wink

FoggyNogginz
05-10-2013, 10:23 PM
Love Norris! I mean um...horrible...never go...