PDA

View Full Version : Replace Strut Bearings

psychobilly
01-27-2012, 06:23 AM
I did a lot of work on my boat yesterday. One thing I did was removed the shaft in preparation to replace the Cutless Bearings.

A bit of history here is that when I bought the boat I noticed the shaft and the strut had taken a hard hit by some rocks or something, you will see later on in pics. The PO, my wife, and I took her out for a run on the lake and she ran great, so for what I gave for it I was HAPPY. No vibration or nothing.

After having it for a season I noticed upon closer inspection that the Cutless Bearing as wearing bad at the front of the strut, but I put it off another season...

Yesterday I started by removing the wheel and then the shaft coupler from the shaft. That wheel was stuck on baby! I put my OJ wheel puller on and WACKED it with the hammer to persuade it to come off. Here's a shot of me removing the coupler.

It too needed a little persuasion from my lil sledge hammer. :-) but not as much.

Now getting the shaft out was another story. She was in a bind for sure, I greased up the shaft in front of the Cutless and worked it out. After I got it out I could see that the front Cutless was worn through. I took a screw driver and tapped it under one side of it then started working the screw driver all the way through until I got it.

The rear one I had to cut with a hack saw. I just put the blade through and then put the hack saw on the handle, cut a little at a time until I made it through the bearing. Then same as the front, hammered the screwdriver through and pulled it out.

Here's a pick of them removed.

This here is the front one and you can see where it was wearing through as it's shinny.

Now once I got them out I put the shaft back through and I could see that the strut was tweeked left to right. I used my shaft to straighten it. Prolly not the best thing to use, but it's what I had. The strut is straight as I can tell now, but I'll know more when I get the bearings in and then the shaft. I'm taking the shaft to my buddy machine shop today and but in a lathe to check for trueness and then polish all of the nasty nicks out of it.

Stay tuned.....

psychobilly
01-27-2012, 02:05 PM
Well I got it all back together. I had to align the motor a bit but it's all good now. The only thing is the white (new style) cutless bearings were tight on the shaft and even tighter installing the shaft. Does anyone else have experience with these? Do they have to break in? It's tighter now than before and I have heard on here that you should be able to turn the shaft with ease....

psychobilly
01-30-2012, 03:19 PM
Thanks Vince and Eric for your support. ;-) We'll see how we go when I finally get her in the water.

mikeg205
01-30-2012, 03:57 PM
Well I got it all back together. I had to align the motor a bit but it's all good now. The only thing is the white (new style) cutless bearings were tight on the shaft and even tighter installing the shaft. Does anyone else have experience with these? Do they have to break in? It's tighter now than before and I have heard on here that you should be able to turn the shaft with ease....

any pics on the re-install of bearings?

psychobilly
01-31-2012, 07:40 AM
Sorry, I ain't got any yet but I will get some today. When I reinstalled them they went in teh strut easily. The one thing that I was worried about was the gact that they didn't want to go on the shaft. After I installed them in the strut it was tight. I let them warm up, (I had froze them for the install so that they would shrink) and then I had to beat the shaft in.

This was the first time I had used these Vesconite (not sure on spelling) bearings so I assumed that they had a "break in" period. I called SKIDIM, GREAT SERVICE SUPPORT, and Vince said it didn't sound right but he would call Johnson Propeller. They said to run them...

I will say that I have a strut that was struck by something by a PO. Even though this is a strut that was beat up it's on the front end of it and when installing the shaft it was tight all the way through, even when I first installed it in the rear bearing.

I am curious to see how these new style bearings work, so I'm going to run them as is.

Maybe Eric will jump in here and share some more knowledge...

I know some people here have not had good luck with SKIDIM, but my experience so far has been great. They have been there to support me in what ever I needed.

I'll get some pics today. Here's one where you can see where I had to move the rear of the motor to port for alignment.

I didn't have to move it much, just a Bee's Pecker. ;)

psychobilly
02-01-2012, 09:10 AM
Sorry for the crap pics but when I got out to storage I found that my camera had been left on.... Iphone pics will have to do ya. :D

robin
02-11-2012, 10:59 PM
I had an issue last year with the new bearings being WAY too tight on the shaft. it was very difficult to get the shaft through the bearings when they were installed on the strut. The shaft should slide effortlessly through the bearing. i discovered that my dimensions were off on the strut; probably out of round from striking a rock. I had to replace the whole strut. Eric from OJ was very helpful. See my thread on it for further.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=40420

pbgbottle
02-11-2012, 11:10 PM
subscribed i ,i am about to put my strut back on also . and my bearings where quite tight .
i am conserned also .i can turn mine with some lube on them and two hands . i i will be onuting my strut this week also .my cutless bearings weren't worn through but most of the rubber was missing . i had to put my strut in a press to try and tweek it back damage also caused by a PO . post back up the outcome after you get it in the water .mine wont se the water for a few months.

psychobilly
02-12-2012, 06:44 AM
I had an issue last year with the new bearings being WAY too tight on the shaft.

Yeah I'm sure mine was out of round too. too bad I didn't have a reamer to open it up. I was told to "run it" as is. If I have issues I will pull them and get a reamer to open the strut up to be true ID again. I would not be easy to replace the strut in my 240SC as the rear seat and a whole lotta other stuff has to come out in order to get to the strut nuts.

i had to put my strut in a press to try and tweek it back damage also caused by a PO . post back up the outcome after you get it in the water .mine wont se the water for a few months.

I will give an update as soon as I do get her in the water. It should be in the next month depending on work. I still have to replace my bunks with "the ultimate bunk boards" but I have to wait to order them.... Another 500 bux but then never again....

psychobilly
03-06-2012, 07:10 PM
Well I went and run the ole girl today. Those vesconite cutlass bearings broke right in. As you might remember the shaft was a tight a$$ fit and I was worried. The guys at SKIDIM did some calling to the distributor and they said to run it. It took me both hands to turn it but now it turns with two finger ease.

Now getting her primed was a different story. I like to have never got fuel up to her!!! The gas has went bad I think.... Even with Stabil it went bad. She has a bad studder when you shove it in the corner. I'm Gunna get me some octane boost when I head out next time.

Stowaway marina added 40 foot of boat ramp and dredged a channel out to the bridge.

Ahhhhhhhhhhh summer is here ;-)