PDA

View Full Version : Air bags or heavier springs?

Millertime
01-26-2012, 03:39 PM
I am currently towing with a 2011 dodge 1500, I also use it for work with about 600-800lbs in the back at all times. The back end is sagging and want to beef it up. When I'm towing the boat (08 x2 tandom axle) I take the tools, material, etc. out of the back. Anybody have any experience with either or both. Thanks in advance. Also i am looking at the same price for either solution.

G-Star
01-26-2012, 03:50 PM
I've got Firestone airbags on my '07 Tundra. They work great, and were quick & easy to install. The nice thing is, the truck doesn't ride like a beer-wagon when unloaded, like it would with stiffer springs and overloads. Just pump 'em up to match your load. I keep a small bike pump in my under-seat toolbox so I can easily change pressures anywhere... the small volume of the bags makes it easy to pump them up by hand.

I'd recommend the Firestones for sure, and I think it'll be pretty much the first thing I do next time I buy a new truck.

ttu
01-26-2012, 03:51 PM
I am currently towing with a 2011 dodge 1500, I also use it for work with about 600-800lbs in the back at all times. The back end is sagging and want to beef it up. When I'm towing the boat (08 x2 tandom axle) I take the tools, material, etc. out of the back. Anybody have any experience with either or both. Thanks in advance. Also i am looking at the same price for either solution.

i had airbags installed on my 07 toyota land cruiser and it has helped a ton with towing. agree i also have firestone airbags

thatsmrmastercraft
01-26-2012, 04:17 PM
I've got Firestone airbags on my '07 Tundra. They work great, and were quick & easy to install. The nice thing is, the truck doesn't ride like a beer-wagon when unloaded, like it would with stiffer springs and overloads. Just pump 'em up to match your load. I keep a small bike pump in my under-seat toolbox so I can easily change pressures anywhere... the small volume of the bags makes it easy to pump them up by hand.

I'd recommend the Firestones for sure, and I think it'll be pretty much the first thing I do next time I buy a new truck.

G-Star hit the spot with his answer and with the brand recommendation.

craig3972
01-26-2012, 06:00 PM
i got em too

Millertime
01-26-2012, 06:52 PM
Thanks for the help guys, ordered them this afternoon.

Millertime
01-26-2012, 06:53 PM
Got the firestones, too.

carlsonwa
01-26-2012, 08:49 PM
I would recommend the Firestone air bags as well. I installed them on my Tacoma they are great for towing and deflated the truck rides like stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ben
01-26-2012, 09:51 PM
I had them on my old 85 F150 as helpers and transferred to the 97 F350 to lift it up and soften the ride when unloaded. Worked great. Firestones as well.

Hope you ordered the kit w/the compressor. If you did, add a larger air tank, and go to a semi-truck parts junkyard / wholesale place and get a 2 to 3 foot airhorn to mount under the front of the truck. Obnoxious, but very fun....

Millertime
01-26-2012, 10:06 PM
I didnt go with the on board compressor, it doubled the price. That horn sounds like fun, my kids would love it.

Hollywood
01-27-2012, 06:51 PM
I would have went with springs.

Jerseydave
01-27-2012, 11:12 PM
Lots of guys swear by timbrens.

www.timbren.com

thatsmrmastercraft
01-27-2012, 11:16 PM
Lots of guys swear by timbrens.

www.timbren.com

Timbrens work well and need no inflation / deflation. The Firestone bags give you the ability to adjust for different loads, but with a little more work.

Thrall
02-01-2012, 01:02 PM
Timbrens work well and need no inflation / deflation. The Firestone bags give you the ability to adjust for different loads, but with a little more work.

2nd that.
I've used helper springs on my company trucks (F150s) for years and they worked fine too.
Got Timbrens for my new one. Very easy install and cheaper than airbags. Seing as you alwyas have weight in the truck (like I) Timbrens or helper springs would fit the bill fine.

With the onboard compressor though, your adjustability is easy. Crank 'er up for the real heavy loads and soften it up when you only have the normal stuff in the bed.

IMO, the newer X2's tow very tongue heavy compared to other MC's, namely the X15.
My buddy can hook his X15 up to his Expedition with 8 people and a weeks worth of gear in the Ex and boat and it doesn't sag the back of the truck.
My X2 will drop the rear end of a F150 3" or more just setting it on the hitch.
Guess that pickle fork packs alot more extra 'glass than the V nose boats.

thatsmrmastercraft
02-01-2012, 01:08 PM
2nd that.
I've used helper springs on my company trucks (F150s) for years and they worked fine too.
Got Timbrens for my new one. Very easy install and cheaper than airbags. Seing as you alwyas have weight in the truck (like I) Timbrens or helper springs would fit the bill fine.

With the onboard compressor though, your adjustability is easy. Crank 'er up for the real heavy loads and soften it up when you only have the normal stuff in the bed.

IMO, the newer X2's tow very tongue heavy compared to other MC's, namely the X15.
My buddy can hook his X15 up to his Expedition with 8 people and a weeks worth of gear in the Ex and boat and it doesn't sag the back of the truck.
My X2 will drop the rear end of a F150 3" or more just setting it on the hitch.

If a person goes with the on-board compressor route, may as well get the self leveling kit. That way the sensors automatically adjust for load - side to side too.

BrooksfamX2
02-01-2012, 03:26 PM
2nd that.
.............My X2 will drop the rear end of a F150 3" or more just setting it on the hitch.

I have noticed that with my F150 also. I am thinking of moving the boat back on the trailer a couple inches to reduce the tongue weight a bit.

Millertime
02-01-2012, 03:41 PM
Got the Firestone airbags installed yesterday, seem to work well with all my work gear in the back. Definitely notice it's not as smooth as it used be, looking forward see how well they work with the boat on. Any recommendations for the psi to set them at? Set at 20psi now and lifted the back end up 2".

Thrall
02-01-2012, 09:08 PM
I have noticed that with my F150 also. I am thinking of moving the boat back on the trailer a couple inches to reduce the tongue weight a bit.

Or spend $150 on a set of Timbrens and fix the problem in about 20minutes.
Interested to see how far back it would have to be to get enough tongue weight off. Don't like the thought of having to move the vee bunk though.

G-Star
02-02-2012, 11:39 AM
Got the Firestone airbags installed yesterday, seem to work well with all my work gear in the back. Definitely notice it's not as smooth as it used be, looking forward see how well they work with the boat on. Any recommendations for the psi to set them at? Set at 20psi now and lifted the back end up 2".

Drop em down to about 5psi if you're unloaded. That'll drop the back of your truck down and make it ride nicer.

The airbags carry about 32lbs/psi. So, if you want to carry 1600lbs, pump 'em up to 50psi.

thatsmrmastercraft
02-02-2012, 03:04 PM
The important part is to have some air in there. 5psi, as G-Star recommended is a good bottom end.

east tx skier
02-03-2012, 12:58 PM

On my Expedition, I just replaced the rear shocks with about one level stiffer and it improved the stability while towing enormously for not much money. Before, the boat would bounce the back end of the car every time we hit a bump. Afterward, it towed like a dream.

ahhudgins
02-03-2012, 08:44 PM
On my Expedition, I just replaced the rear shocks with about one level stiffer and it improved the stability while towing enormously for not much money. Before, the boat would bounce the back end of the car every time we hit a bump. Afterward, it towed like a dream.

My F150 would bounce a little after going over a bump and the back end would drop a little from the tongue weight. I tried the Monroe Sensa Trak load adjusting shocks and I love them. The ride is only slightly stiffer unloaded and I can throw a bunch of stuff in the bed and it still rides flat. About $120 for the set.

east tx skier
02-03-2012, 09:07 PM
My F150 would bounce a little after going over a bump and the back end would drop a little from the tongue weight. I tried the Monroe Sensa Trak load adjusting shocks and I love them. The ride is only slightly stiffer unloaded and I can throw a bunch of stuff in the bed and it still rides flat. About $120 for the set.

I think I went Rancho. But the results sound the same or similar. Quick trip to Sears was all it took.

sk8salomon
02-04-2012, 06:36 AM
how much is the total air bag assembly? you can buy add a leafs for your springs maybe $60/pair shipped. it will give you more arch to your spring.

thatsmrmastercraft
02-04-2012, 10:47 AM
how much is the total air bag assembly? you can buy add a leafs for your springs maybe $60/pair shipped. it will give you more arch to your spring.

$200 - $300 depending upon vehicle. The beauty to air bags is they don't affect your unloaded ride quality and are adjustable to individual loads.

jk13
02-04-2012, 07:06 PM

11 Ram 1500 is coils in the back, not leafs. Timbrens or air bags work best.

The only downside we've found with the bags is that when the temp changes, you lose a bit of air from the dissimilar plastics in the lines and fittings expanding and contracting at different rates. Some customers have complained about having to check pressures more often than they'd like. You also see this with the compressor systems--including factory ones. If the minimum psi is around 10 you'll hear the compressor run a bit nearly every morning to get back up to it.

Millertime
02-04-2012, 10:53 PM
I paid $650 for the firestone airbags installed, and to get a heavier spring installed was $700. And like mrmastercraft said the bags seemed like the ideal choice, especially when not loaded. Thats canadian pricing.

thatsmrmastercraft
02-04-2012, 11:27 PM
If a person always needs a heavier spring, chances are you bought too light a vehicle.

Never needed any extra springs or bags on my F350.:rolleyes: