PDA

View Full Version : 2002 x star engine rebuild!!!

bjw444
01-25-2012, 11:55 PM
Hey guys my 2002 x star was burning alot of oil last season, 1-2 qts per full day of boating, so this winter i decided to pull the motor and freshen her up. I have alot of gear head friends with 1000hp plus gm motors so I decided to do the work myself.

My motor had 750ish hrs on her.

A few weeks ago i removed back seat, sun deck, ballast bags(rear) ski pylon, center fiberglass piece over transmission, removed the prop shaft(with a 30$ slide hammer from harbor freight). Approximate time( 3 hrs with me and a friend)

Today i disconected fuel lines, water lines, main wiring harness( 1 plug), perfect pass(2 plugs), engine ground, 12V battery cable to alternator, and any other wires, shift cable, and throttle cable. (about a hour and a half)

Today i also pulled engine from the boat complete with transmission attached, used a heavy duty engine hoist and had the help of two other guys. To remove the whole engine and transmission took 8 transmission mount bolts and 6 engine mount bolts.

We also dissasembled the engine down to the block, removed heads and all other accessory items. Took about 3.5 hours with a friends help.

We were very pleased to see no damage has been done so it looks at thought i will be putting new rings, all new bearings, all new seals, and redoing the head(clean valves, new intake and exhaust seals), and also new gaskets.

I will post pictures soon. I just wanted to let everyone know that the job can be done without many special tools and is not very time consuming, i should have about 500$ in new parts and pizza and beer for the people helping me.

TOO-TALL
01-26-2012, 12:08 AM
Had to my motor last fall

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=44049

NatesGr8
01-26-2012, 11:33 AM
in for the pictures, where in the northeast are you?

Stx221
01-26-2012, 11:47 AM
in for the pictures, where in the northeast are you?

I second this question. Being new to the boating world (but certainly not engine internals), I would love to see some repairs like this in the works. Do you have any pictures?

dmayer84
01-26-2012, 08:10 PM
Sounds like what I am in the middle of right now. Good luck

gotta_ski
01-27-2012, 04:01 AM
You were using 1-2 quarts a day? My two stroke motors don't burn that much. Where was the failure point? I'm guessing something in the head? That seems like low hours to need a rebuild like that.

bjw444
01-29-2012, 07:59 PM
hey guys, my boat was a flood recovery, i just got back from ripping the block down, all bearing look good, pistons and cylinders good, im thinking that the intake valve seals are worn as there was lots of silt in the heads(from being underwater). Im going to be heading back to the warehouse shortly to meet the machinist too look over the parts and see what needs done, as of now it looks like polish crank, hone cylinders.

Im in pittsburgh pa.

mikeg205
01-29-2012, 08:11 PM
hey guys, my boat was a flood recovery, i just got back from ripping the block down, all bearing look good, pistons and cylinders good, im thinking that the intake valve seals are worn as there was lots of silt in the heads(from being underwater). Im going to be heading back to the warehouse shortly to meet the machinist too look over the parts and see what needs done, as of now it looks like polish crank, hone cylinders.

Im in pittsburgh pa.

where did you get the boat? is there an auction site?

bjw444
01-30-2012, 01:10 PM
salvagedirect.com It was a ton of work, new windshield, new interior, new tower, new stereo, new carpet, and lots and lots of cleaning, it took me a winter too do all work and saved me a ton of $, i like projects and the boat is immaculate so it was worth it for me.

bjw444
01-30-2012, 01:13 PM
Talked to machinist. it seems i was burning oil cause a few of my cylinders were .005 out, so i will be boring, all new bearings, new rods(mine are fine but engine guy says the ones that are in it are prone to breakage under high rpm loads)..., pistons, and rings. When its all said and done i think i should have around 1200 in a completly rebuilt and reliable motor.

obsessed
01-30-2012, 03:06 PM
What engine is it? Where are you going to get your parts? Can you post the parts and prices once you get to it as I'd be very interested in how much it would cost.
I've got 1500 hours on my engine. So thinking I may need to do a rebuild quite soon.

mikeg205
01-30-2012, 05:10 PM
salvagedirect.com It was a ton of work, new windshield, new interior, new tower, new stereo, new carpet, and lots and lots of cleaning, it took me a winter too do all work and saved me a ton of $, i like projects and the boat is immaculate so it was worth it for me.

Thanks...looking for a project down the road and forgot the name of this sight...thanks

1redTA
01-30-2012, 05:15 PM
$1200 for a rebuild seems like a good deal!

Dylan
01-30-2012, 06:48 PM

I just blew an hour searching that website for things I don't need... thanks for that :D
I'll have to add that to my list of websites to follow. Thanks! Awesome project!

TOO-TALL
01-30-2012, 11:00 PM
Talked to machinist. it seems i was burning oil cause a few of my cylinders were .005 out, so i will be boring, all new bearings, new rods(mine are fine but engine guy says the ones that are in it are prone to breakage under high rpm loads)..., pistons, and rings. When its all said and done i think i should have around 1200 in a completly rebuilt and reliable motor.

1200 is a really good price.I got mine done parts and labor for 2000.00.

Good luck and post some pics.

bjw444
01-31-2012, 09:20 AM
ya im doing alot of the labor myself, just paying machinist and buying parts, its the ltr 330 by the way