PDA

View Full Version : Paint on Teak Deck Brackets

Nutter281
01-25-2012, 10:06 PM
Hi Guys,

The black paint on my teak swim platform brackets has mostly flaked off through years of use (and apparently some abuse). I'd like to sand blast or strip them and repaint them but I get the impression that this is not your typical Krylon job LOL

Anyone know what type of paint is used here or what a good long term substitute would be?

Thanks,
Austin

Barefooter92
01-25-2012, 10:15 PM
That's too funny, I had the same problem with mine last winter. I roughed them up with a 3M pad and sprayed them with Krylon. They spent the whole summer in the lift and they look spotless today as I sand my teak for season '12.

It really works!

Nutter281
01-25-2012, 10:24 PM
HAHA! That's awesome! If a can of Krylon actually buys me a whole season of decent looking brackets count me in. I was expecting the answer to be some incredibly proprietary mastercraft blend of dies and polymers only grown in rain forest climates that cost $100/pint.

X-1Texas
01-25-2012, 10:26 PM
I pulled mine off this winter and had them blasted and powdercoated a low gloss black. Looks awesome. I also took off the parts of the swim platform brackets attached to the transom and had those done also. Painting would probably work okay too, but I have friend with a powdercoat shop.

Nutter281
01-25-2012, 11:09 PM
If I blast em how much would your friend charge to powdercoat them for me if I shipped them to him?

mikeg205
01-25-2012, 11:53 PM
HAHA! That's awesome! If a can of Krylon actually buys me a whole season of decent looking brackets count me in. I was expecting the answer to be some incredibly proprietary mastercraft blend of dies and polymers only grown in rain forest climates that cost $100/pint.

Damn... I thought these dyes and polymers were developed in secret temples in the Himalayas - guarded by an immortal with special powers...:D:D:D

03geetee
01-26-2012, 07:51 AM
Id like to blast mine but I am not removing them from the boat as they are tight and appear to not be going anywhere.

Looks like a lot of masking for me this spring.

JTR