PDA

View Full Version : Bogus boat advertising

AZDave
01-25-2012, 11:58 AM
Has anyone on this site bought a boat sight unseen and been less than happy? I had a friend look at Prostar advertised here, located across country. The pictures looked fantastic, and the ad was very positive. I was somewhat surprised when he went ahead and bought it, having not even seen it. As it turns out, the boat was not in great shape, to put it mildly. It had major electrical issues, and the steering was very difficult. It also had some damage to the rudder area. I just wonder if anyone has been in a similar situation, and what legal recourse is possible, if any on a used boat?

scott023
01-25-2012, 12:04 PM
Unless there was blatant misrepresentation in the ad, legal recourse will be tough to persue.

mikeg205
01-25-2012, 12:26 PM
Did he get a bill of sales that states "as is"?

It's a civil matter anyway, so a legal retainer would be required...probably spend more going after than cost to fix. Your friend would have to file suit in state where purchase. Only recourse is if "fraud" could be proved. Again, would need to seek advice in locality where purchased..

ahhudgins
01-25-2012, 12:36 PM
What's that old saying....."A fool and his money are soon parted".

I would never, never, never (did I say never) make a major purchase of any kind without seeing the boat, car, etc.

tph
01-25-2012, 12:58 PM

I would never, never, never (did I say never) make a major purchase of any kind without seeing the boat, car, etc.

I was thinking "Buyer Beware". It can be risky to buy before you try.

mikeg205
01-25-2012, 01:22 PM

did you say never?:D:D:D:D

AZDave
01-25-2012, 08:10 PM
Yeah, it is unfortunate that these things happen. Thanks for the responses. I had a contractor basically rob me on a job, but the legal BS made it so I did not even pursue it. Just learn from it, unfortunately.

mikeg205
01-26-2012, 01:01 AM
The only thing that's worse is when a friend robs you and group of related people....and it takes the feds 7 years to catch him and start the trial...

CruisinGA
01-26-2012, 09:33 AM
I've bought a car (Toyota land cruiser) sight unseen. Worked out fine, the price was so good I could handle some risk. Also had a friend that was local to it look it over.

Would have a hard time buying a boat unseen. Too many variables regarding how it was maintained and used.

Buyer beware.

bturner2
01-26-2012, 09:59 AM
I bought my current boat after seeing it on EbaY. After the add expired I conttacted the lister directly. I actually cut the deal trading my boat at the time (03 X2 with 156 hours) with cash for the new boat. We exchanged probably 30 pictures each of the boats. The boat I traded for was 07 X2 with 160 hours and this was in Feburary of 09. I live in MI and the dealer I was doing the trade with was in TN. It all worked out for me but.....

The boat was only two seasons old with fairly low hours.
I was working with a dealer and was able to do some background checking on them.
I did a title search and accident check on the boat/trailer.
We exchanged a ton of pictures and a least one had the boat with a newspaper with that day's date on it (I know, a bit over the top but that was his suggestion so I could see it was a recent picture).
Was able to go to his website and see the boat listed there.
He gave me a written statement guaranteeing the running condition of the boat.
Only put a $500 deposit on the boat before seeing an finalizing the deal.

I still considered this risky but the deal was such that I considered the risk worth at least taking the 12 hour drive (one way) with my boat to TN worth it. When I got there the boat was dirtier than I expected and there were a couple small scratches that I hadn't seen in the pictures but all in all I was very happy with the boat. The dealer was thrilled with my boat as the condition was near perfect and he had already sold it to someone in TX using my pictures. I've had the 07 X2 three seasons now and haven't had a single issue related to condition of the boat at time of purchase.

BWB-745-
01-26-2012, 01:22 PM
The only thing that's worse is when a friend robs you and group of related people....and it takes the feds 7 years to catch him and start the trial...

I feel like there is a story here...

thatsmrmastercraft
01-26-2012, 01:57 PM

My thoughts exactly.

mikeg205
01-26-2012, 04:47 PM

Oh yeah....

http://www.scaminformer.com/scam-report/rod-rieman-rod-rieman-roderick-rieman-roderick-james-rieman-sharon-c38209.html

Long story....but now the feds will take care of it...

kyfooter
01-26-2012, 07:57 PM
I recently bought a boat from the absolute farthest distance away while still being in the continental U.S. it was one of the most nerve racking experiences I can recall. It can be rather safe, but certainly you are exposed to differences of opinion. How does one define " excellent" or "mint?"

The key for my deal was lots of pictures, all communication documented in emails, and most importantly getting the seller to allow only 80% of the cash before shipping, with the remaining 20% being sent only after the boat arrived and was tested. Both of us were at risk, but luckily it worked out.

JohnE
01-26-2012, 10:43 PM
I bought an 89 Prostar in 03 on ebay sight unseen. The boat was everything it was advertised as. Owner was a retired NY State Trooper and met me half way with the delivery. Threw in a Mastercraft ski that came new with the boat in 89 and some additional gear.

Bought my 05 197 in 07 from the Charlotte dealer and again the boat was as advertised.

Justjoe
01-26-2012, 11:19 PM
Bought mine sight unseen. Drove from MI to TX to pick it up. Loaded it on the hitch and drove home. Nothing but good.