PDA

View Full Version : Bad diesel fuel AGAIN...any suggestions?

jkski
01-23-2012, 08:21 PM
Well, I managed to make it all of about 3 months before I got another bad batch of diesel which has taken out all 8 injectors AGAIN. The last time this happened, roughly 3 months ago, the station where I filled-up took responsibility for it and paid to have all new injectors, pump, FPR anf filter put in along with flushing the lines and cleaning the tank. So, figuring they had the cleanest fuel around after having paid out over $50k in claims I have been filling up without issue, until late last week. I have two fo the same station within 3 miles of my house and I filled-up at the one that did not cause the previous issue and it bit me in the arse!
I removed 15 gallons of green, non see-thru, diesel from my tank but it was too late. The dealer has the truck again and said all 8 injectors are bad, so the process of getting the claim paid by the station is started again.

My question for you guys is this, anyone have any advice on how to avoid getting bad diesel? I have been filling up at Citgo/Circle K stations for years without issue and they go thru a lot of fuel, but twice in 3 months is a bit too much to handle.
I have been told to avoid truck stops but what about Shell, BP and/or Marathon stations?

Any advice would be great.
Thanks.

1redTA
01-23-2012, 08:54 PM
better fuel filter couldn't hurt I suppose

Double D
01-23-2012, 09:22 PM
Sorry to hear about your luck, or lack there of. Good Luck!!

Jerseydave
01-23-2012, 09:44 PM
I've been running HESS diesel for the past 21+ years. (International DT466, CAT 3126 and Mercedes powered Freightliner M2) I use an anti-gel additive in the winter from NAPA with each tank. I try to go to the stations that pump a lot of fuel, not the ones that pump very little.

What engine are you running? I know some of the Ford pickup 6.4 liters are having injector issues, maybe even the 6.0 liter also.

H20BOY
01-23-2012, 09:48 PM
Major Truck stops are your best bet. The volume that goes through keeps the odds of you getting bad fuel low. Also they control quality in order not to upset a fleet customer upset. If you get bad fuel and stop buying not a big deal. If a major trucking fleet that buys 100,000 gallons gets bad fuel and stops buying that is a major issue.

jkski
01-24-2012, 09:26 AM
I am running a 2006 GMC 2500HD Duramax LBZ, I am not sure if the injectors are just more sensitive as opposed to other vehicles or what. I am going to have the fuel analyzed by an independent facility, is there anything in particular that I should be looking for? Obviously I know debris in the fuel can clog an injector but I am more thinking along the lines of sime type of chemical that may have been in the fuel and caused the damage? When this occurred last time, one of the other guys who was effected had the fuel tested and found that a chemical used to clean the tankers was found to be in the fuel causing the contamination. Not knowing enough about the processing and transporting of diesel nor how they clean tankers I do not know if this is normal or if it truly was the culprit then and could be again.

Feel free to educate me.

Thrall
01-24-2012, 08:20 PM
That stinks, sorry to hear about this.....again.
What exactly causes bad fuel to ruin the injectors?
I could see if particulate matter got past the filter, could clog or pit or ruin selas in the CP3 or injectors, but solvent/cleaning agent/water I would think the truck just wouldn't run right or run at all.
Hear of alot of people using 2 micron filters and additional filtration to extend fuel component life, but I don't understan how a bad batch ruins injectors.

timvan
01-25-2012, 07:38 AM
Im running a 2006 LBZ as well, sounds like you need to add filtration. I use this with much success as well as many others:

http://nicktane.com/osc/product_info.php?products_id=51

Airdog also makes a lift pump with filters

Do not get fuel from slow to sell stations.. stick with the busy ones. The constant flow of fuel insures that it hasn't been sitting long thus water wont be an issue.

jkski
01-25-2012, 07:44 AM
I do not know the answer to this question but plan to find out. From what I have been told by the tech, whom I trust, as well as the guys on the Duramax forum, an additional filter or even a finer filter would not have prevented this damage. In addition, no matter what additives you run, they would not offset this.

So, I have contacted a local independent laboratory and will be dropping off a sample of the fuel I removed from the tank as well as a sample of "good" fuel, to serve as a baseline. They will test both samples and tell me what is present and I can go from there. I am not a chemist so I am sure once I have the results a little more research will be in order to determine just how the various components effect the injectors in a negative manner.
I'll post the results when I have them in hopes that it can help someone else.

Here is a pic of one bucket of the fuel I removed after it had sat for 2 days. Some seperation has taken place but it still looks pretty bad.

psychobilly
01-25-2012, 08:39 AM
I can't wait to see these results...

jkski
01-25-2012, 04:25 PM
Quick update:
The sample of "bad" fuel as well as a sample of "good" fuel are now in the hands of the lab for analysis. I regularly run Stanadyne Performance Formula additive, so I also supplied them with a bottle of that so that they can accurately assess the fuel as my "bad" sample will have some of this in it.
So, here is what they are going to analyze"
1) Good Fuel to create baseline.
2) Good Fuel with Stanadyne.
3) Good Fuel with and without Stanadyne vs. Bad Fuel
4) Bad Fuel.

I think that should provide some good data, not that I will understand any of it but I will be sure to share it when it becomes available in a few days.

jkski
01-26-2012, 11:30 AM
Quick update:
I spoke with the chemist this morning who is running the tests after he spoke with a diesel manufacturer. The diesel manufacturer stated that there are really only 2 things that will cause an injector to fail:
1) Partical in the fuel which clog the injector.
2) Gasoline in the fuel which will burn-out the injector.

This may be common sense but I said I would pass along the info as I received it and this is the first of it. So, the testing is starting by looking for gasoline in the diesel being that it is more likely to be the culprit, as my actual filter should have stopped any particals that would have been present to cause this and it looked good after being cut open.

So, for you diesel guys out there, what can you tell me about the possible negative effects of gasoline on a diesel motor?

Thrall
01-26-2012, 03:15 PM
jkski,
Same as what I was thinking, so has to be some gas init?
But does gas separate from diesel I would think it would mix.

jkski
01-26-2012, 04:21 PM
Well, I am not a chemist but I did recently stay at a Holiday Inn Express so I might be OK answering this.......
From what I have found in researching this, the 2 will actually mix and at one point in time it was suggested by some mechanics that those who live in colder climates mix some gas with their diesel to help prevent gelling of fuel. The other benefit supposedly was that it acted as an injector cleaner, however, the newer vehicles are much more sensitive to the heat and chemical reaction of gas at the injector tip, as they need lubrication that the diesel properties provide in order to work properly. In short, gas dries them hot and fries them.
I provided the lab with a gas sample earlier today to add to the process and see what we can find out. Some guys have stated that gas will not cause longterm damage to the engine itself, rather it harms just the fuel components, however, others have pointed to the increased heat caused by gas and stated it will scorch a piston.
I guess it all boils down to how much gas was present and for how long the engine was exposed to it.
Stay tuned for more.

captain planet
01-26-2012, 05:46 PM
Man jk, that sucks. A friend of mine just had his injectors go out on his Ford (06) diesel. He had the same green fuel you have in that picture. I forget what his mechanic told him was the culprit, but his injectors and fuel system had to be replaced. I'll find out what he was told and let you know.

jkski
01-27-2012, 10:16 AM
Thanks CP, I will be curious to see what your friend was told.

On Wednesday late afternoon, I drove by the station where I got the bad fuel and a truck with the name "Clean Fuels" was parked there doing some work. So, naturally I googles them and according to their website they not only provide testing services but also a fuel cleaning service that reduces downtime, etc.. In quickly reading through their process they basically pump the fuel out of the tank, through a filtration system and then back into the tank under pressure to aggitate any growth/debris that may be in or on the tank. They continue this process until the fuel test clean.
So, does anyone have any knowledge of this process, specifically, how long would it take them to clean an underground tank in this manner, typically? I ask because the I drove by the station again on Thursday and the diesel pumps are operational, so either they managed to clean the fuel or they tested it and found nothing.

jkski
01-27-2012, 06:04 PM
Latest update:
I picked the truck up today and it is back to running good again however, I thought you guys would enjoy seeing a nice side by side by side comparrison of the fuel.
So, in the pic below, starting from left to right we have:
Good Fuel (far left)
Bad fuel taken from tank (middle)
Fuel taken from filter (far right)

You be the judge!

So, the fuel station rep called me and stated that they have not had any other complaints about their fuel and that it tested OK so there is nothing they can do for me.
Anyone have a suggestion as to how best to proceed as I am currently out $6200 for having done nothing wrong and this is on a fuel system that was just replaced roughly 4k miles ago.

I do have the actual filter and will be cutting it open this weekend but based upon the sample shown I don't expect to see anything different.

captain planet
01-27-2012, 06:17 PM
I'd be damned if I let it go at that. If you have the receipt from the fuel purchase and the date you had the work done showing the damage caused to your truck I would definately be having a discussion with the station rep about it. Check now to see if they have any signs outside near the dispensers that say they are not responsible for bad fuel, etc. If they don't, I'd say proceed. You need legal council, I have a buddy that is a lawyer if you are interested.

You didn't happen to get any photos of the fuel cleaning service did you?

Don't forget I still have that extra 40th emblem at my office for you.

jkski
01-27-2012, 06:30 PM
CP,
I have already placed a call to an attorney I know and am awaiting his return call but to answer your question, YEP, I have a picture of the cleaning service truck at the station on Wednesday afternoon. Now, I am certain their argument will be that they were present only to test the fuel, which certainly could be but in looking back over all of my receipts for fill-ups this year, the last 47.898 gallons have come from stations owned by the same company (20.914 gallons from 1 location and 26.984 gallons from the other).

So my next question is....is it reasonable to believe that the damage occurred from the last 47+gallons....I would think it would take far less to create the issue. In looking back further, the entire fuel system was replaced, tank scrubbed and lines cleaned back in November 2011 and I got the truck back on 11/17/2011 to be exact. Since that time I have filled-up 14 times with only 2 of those being at stations other than the 2 now in question (1 of the fill-ups was on 1/5/12 and 1 was on 12/14/11, so I think it is safe to say that neither one of these caused the issue).

Anyone care to offer a little legal advice.....do I have a case.

captain planet
01-30-2012, 08:08 AM
jk, I found out my buddies issue. It was his fault. He did some work on his dump truck which he hadn't run in a while and drained the fuel tank. He proceeded to put this 2 year-old fuel in his truck. The old fuel was slightly green because algae had grown in the tank of the old truck and it messed up a couple of his injectors. He had put in 10 gallons before he realized it was discolored. He tried to dilute it with clean fuel but it eventually messed up about 3 or 4 injectors to the tune of $3,800.

I would think your argument would be a little more solid if you were a regular customer at the station in question.....but then again, if you fill up at all these other stations without incident, then go to theirs and have this problem would work out better in your case. Tough call. Did you go back to where you had the fuel system cleaned and ask them if they liberated a bunch of crap and not clean it properly?

Time to go back to a gas truck?

jkski
01-30-2012, 09:04 AM
In talking with multiple people this weekend, it likely is some type of algae but I should know more today or tomorrow when the lab results are availalble. I was told that when a tanker goes in to fill the in-ground tanks, this is the worst time to fill-up and actually you should avoid that station for a couple of days as all the junk that has settled to the bottom now gets stirred-up and suspended in the fuel you are pumping into your vehicle. That being said, as a consumer, shy of choosing to fill-up when you see a tanker present, what can a person do to avoid this problem. At $6200 to repair, it is hard to accept any blame for the damage. Not sure if there is a case here or not but I did hear where the other station is close to no longer selling diesel because of the numerous issues they have had and a 3rd location in the Wadsworth/Wooster area just reported complaints about their diesel. So, I am seeing a pattern but just need the lab results to back it up.

I am seriously considering going back to a gas truck, it's just a tough bullet to bite when this truck is set-up the way I want it and more importantly, it's paid for! If I were to go and buy a new truck, I would most likely buy the exact same thing, only in the gas version and from what I am seeing, they are upwards of $40k. While I am not exactly sure what mine is worth on trade, I do know it's not $40k.

psychobilly
01-30-2012, 09:35 AM
I hear ya, mine is an '02 4x4 PowerStroke. I looked at a BRAND newy last month. It was nice, it had 4 tenths of a mile on the clicker, but it was around 65K I believe.... Just don't see me getting rid of my paid off truck... I normally drive my company truck for my everyday driver so I just can't justify 60+ grand.... Plus like you say, everything else, bumpers, tunes, motor upgrades, winch..... the list goes on..... lol

I hope the station has to pay for your repairs!!!

jkski
01-30-2012, 09:49 AM
Thanks.
I have to admit, I have always been the guy who hates hearing about the petty lawsuits that take place so rampantly, and while I feel I have a solid case I have mixed emotions as to whether or not to pursue in legal fashion. Whatever happened to people standing behind their products and simply accepting responsibility for things they have done.....I guess all of the petty suits have diluted this and the result has become to deny everything.
We will see what today brings!

captain planet
01-30-2012, 01:52 PM
Thanks.
I have to admit, I have always been the guy who hates hearing about the petty lawsuits that take place so rampantly, and while I feel I have a solid case I have mixed emotions as to whether or not to pursue in legal fashion. Whatever happened to people standing behind their products and simply accepting responsibility for things they have done.....I guess all of the petty suits have diluted this and the result has become to deny everything.

I agree. I almost didn't mention my buddy that is a lawyer but you sounded like you have pretty good case. It sucks all the way around.

Not going to a station when a truck is there is something I have practiced ever since I took this job. The other thing you can do is go to stations that have high volume, that way you know you are getting fresh fuel.

Double D
01-30-2012, 03:47 PM
Thanks.

I don't see this as a 'petty lawsuit'. I would pursue it legally as long as the cost doesn't approach what you have in your repair. IMO

jkski
01-30-2012, 04:19 PM
I spoke to a frined who also happen to be an attorney this morning and laid everything out from A-Z explaining my stance and that all I am looking to do is recoup my losses and hopefully get some type of gaurantee in writing that if the additional 2 fuel components should go bad, they will replace them without queston (CP3 and Fuel Pressure Regulator which would total roughly $2k-$2500).
To say the least he felt confident that there is a strong case and so now I am just awaiting lab results to see what was in the fuel. If the results show something present, then it is easy to proceed, if not, then I may have to look at additional testing.

pmkkdx
01-30-2012, 06:56 PM
I too am interested in see the lab results on what might have been present in the fuel ... this may sound like an odd question, but said in all sincerity and seriousness ... have you ticked someone off that might have "doped" / sabotaged your truck fuel tank by adding something?

not likely but a possibility ...

jkski
01-30-2012, 08:13 PM
I too am interested in see the lab results on what might have been present in the fuel ... this may sound like an odd question, but said in all sincerity and seriousness ... have you ticked someone off that might have "doped" / sabotaged your truck fuel tank by adding something?

not likely but a possibility ...

Not an odd question and believe me, I have wondered the same thing but the answer is, if I have anyone that is out to get me, I would have no idea who it might be.

Given the fact that the first time this happened I was 1 of 4 people who had gotten fuel from the same station and we all had the problem, I would have to go with it was an issue with the station. This time around, while nobody else has come forward, YET, I have heard of several others who have experienced issues with the same chain of stations within the past few months, one of which is the station that caused my initial issue. According to the manager at the station I am currently dealing with (roughly 3 miles from the station that caused the problem the first time), "the other location has had so many issues that they are considering no longer selling diesel". I think the case is pretty solid and documented as to whether or not this particular chain has ever had any issues and that would likely play a factor in any judgement that is placed against them.

The lab just notified me that I should have some results tomorrow and based upon those we will see if further testing is required. So, stay tuned for more!

I will be changing my fuel filter as soon as I run through 1 tank of fuel, which came from BP, so it will be interesting to see what it looks like when I drain it and cut it open.

DooSPX
02-01-2012, 10:07 AM
I am looking forward to hearing the lap results? Do you have them yet jkski?

jkski
02-01-2012, 10:41 AM
No lab results yet, not sure what is taking so long I emailed them early this morning looking for a status report so "hopefully" I will have something by the end of the day. I am not ruling out that initial testing may show that further testing is required do determine the actual composition of the contaminants but will have to wait and see.

I do find it somewhat funny/odd that whatever is in the fuel has not settled out at all in the week that it has been sitting. I purposely took one sample of the fuel removed from the tank, placed it in a glass jar and put it on a shelf in my basement and it still looks the same today as it did in the picture I provided in a previous post. Not sure what/if anything that means but I would have thought that the fuel would seperate in some manner, like if water were present.

Wil keep you guys posted as I know several people are very interested to know the outcome.

Thrall
02-01-2012, 12:50 PM
This really is a kick in the nutz, but I wouldn't ditch the diesel truck over it. Really just a bad chain of events. There are millions of diesels running around that don't have these issues.
Regarding not filling up when the fuel truck is there, I learned that from my parents when I was a kid. They would always pass up a station that was being re-fueled and go to another and I've done the same, save for the rare instances where you stop on a road trip with the car/truck on E and "next fuel 100 mi."
My opinion, there is plenty of evidence and I'm sure you'll have it gathered in a very organized fashion to get recourse for your repairs. Not the least being, you had these problems right after having a completely new and cleaned fuel system.
Also haivng you recepits for fuel and mileage since teh last overhaul is good proof that you weren't pulling fuel form a suspect source in that time period.
Good luck man.

captain planet
02-01-2012, 01:41 PM
No lab results yet, not sure what is taking so long I emailed them early this morning looking for a status report so "hopefully" I will have something by the end of the day. I am not ruling out that initial testing may show that further testing is required do determine the actual composition of the contaminants but will have to wait and see.

I do find it somewhat funny/odd that whatever is in the fuel has not settled out at all in the week that it has been sitting. I purposely took one sample of the fuel removed from the tank, placed it in a glass jar and put it on a shelf in my basement and it still looks the same today as it did in the picture I provided in a previous post. Not sure what/if anything that means but I would have thought that the fuel would seperate in some manner, like if water were present.

Wil keep you guys posted as I know several people are very interested to know the outcome.

Algae is my guess.

jkski
02-03-2012, 04:35 PM
Well, I just received what I will label as Round 1 of lab results. The lab tested the fuel samples for the presence of gasoline and the results stated the samples were identical. I guess I was not clear enough in my instructions to them that I wanted a comprehensive analysis done to tell me what the difference was between the 2 samples I provided, rather than testing for the presence of a particular chemical.
So, I have gone back to the lab and stated that I would like to know what is present that is causing the good sample to visually appear clear and the bad sample to appear cloudy. I have also inquired if they have the ability to check for algae presence and appropriately test for it.

I am not a chemist, so if anyone out there with knowledge in this field can tell me how better to ask the questions I am trying to get answers to, I am all ears.

captain planet
02-03-2012, 06:15 PM
Well, you have fuel from two different sources if I recall correctly. Certain labs will have the ability to 'finger-print' a pure product sample. Which is to say, they can tell gasoline from one company vs. another company by the additives they put in the fuel. Each company is a little different in their formulation. I would imagine this is the same for diesel. As for figuring out what impurities are in the fuel, I would contact Southern Petroleum Labs in Houston Texas and ask them what to run. We have used them for a bunch of different sampling needs, including fingerprinting. You need to use the one in Houston because most of SPLs labe just got bought out by Accutest, but this one remains.

I have been told that there are problems with the ultra low sulfur diesel (ULSD) fuel in storage tanks. The reason being there isn't enough sulfur in the fuel to kill the algae and underground storage tanks are getting contaminated.

jkski
02-04-2012, 08:13 AM
Thanks forthe advice CP, I will contact them on Monday morning and go from there.

In looking at the same fuel samples I have at my house in glass jars, the one taken directly from my tank (center sample in the photo I posted), now has some particals settling at the bottom of the jar. The appearance/coloring of the fuel has not changed so it is still cloudy. So, I took a quick look at one of the 5 gallon buckets I have filled with the same fuel and it has now settled to the point where I can see thru the fuel to the bottom where about a 1/2 inch or so of contaminants now sit. I wil try to post a pic later but I am not sure it will come out.

Needless to say there is something in this fuel and from looking at the particals, I can easily see what killed the injectors.

captain planet
02-08-2012, 11:44 AM
Any word? I guess I should have mentioned that shipping that type of sample will pose some logistic hurdles.

jkski
02-08-2012, 12:37 PM
I spoke to two different labs, one of which was the one you suggested, and they were able to provide me with a detail sheet stating what "should" be done. As you mentioned, the logistics of shipping it are a bit daunting, so I am trying to get this done locally.
I passed the info along t the lab that I started this process with but have not yet heard back from them in the past 2 days, so I am starting to lose what little patience I had to begin with. I have asked the dealer for the name of someone that they would use, so I should hear from them today.
In terms of moving forward with any type of legal action, while I have visual proof and receipts, I feel it is necessary to have the right chemical analysis to end this quickly and with a positive resolve in my favor. Being patient is not my strong suit!

jkski
02-09-2012, 10:28 AM
Quick Update:
I located a new testing facility in the Cleveland area so a sample is headed to them this morning. After speaking with a diesel tech who works for the City of Akron bus garage, I did not realize that they are required to have their fuel tested every 2 weeks, so they gave me the name of the facility they use. Spoke to the lab tech this morning and they off several packages, the one they recommended for my situation tests: Appearance, Water by Karl Fischer, Microbial Growth, Particulate Contamination, Water and Sediment.
The cost.....$91 and I should have the results in 3 days.

Stay tuned for more and I will post the results when I have them.

pmkkdx
02-09-2012, 02:23 PM
:popcorn: I feel your pain and am curious to the outcome also ... I have driven nothing but diesel pickup trucks / suburbans since the early 1980s, all Dodge Cummins since '91, logged well over a million miles but never had any issues like those you have described.

jkski
02-09-2012, 03:51 PM
Just a somewhat funny note....the fuel sample that came out of my filter (far right sample in the photo I provided earlier in this thread) now appears to be growing! What I can only imagine is some type of algae is blooming as it appears to be growing up from the sediment that had settled....I might very well be growing "THE BLOB" in a jar in my basement!

Not sure if you can tell from the photo's but if you look at the center of the junk in the bottom of the jar it is raised and was not like that a few days ago. Keep in mind this sample was removed from the filter.

Double D
02-09-2012, 04:24 PM
Just a somewhat funny note....the fuel sample that came out of my filter (far right sample in the photo I provided earlier in this thread) now appears to be growing! What I can only imagine is some type of algae is blooming as it appears to be growing up from the sediment that had settled....I might very well be growing "THE BLOB" in a jar in my basement!

Not sure if you can tell from the photo's but if you look at the center of the junk in the bottom of the jar it is raised and was not like that a few days ago. Keep in mind this sample was removed from the filter.

Wholly crap!! Get your bio-suit!!!

BTW, I am following this closely because my neighbor ordered his new F350 6.7 Diesel truck and it arrived at Mullinax yesterday. I keep talking about this thread and he doesn't want this stuff happening with his new truck. We have a Marathon/Bell Stores right up the street that sells Diesel and thats the perfect spot to buy, as long as its good stuff....

jkski
02-13-2012, 03:34 PM
Well, the results are in from the lab and as promised here they are:
You can read it for yourself or the "Cliffnotes" version is that according the ASTM standards Water and Sediment have a maximum spec of .05%, my sample tested at .200%. Also the allowable limit for Particulate Contamination is 10mg/L and my sample tested at 56.0mg/L.

As I have stated before, I am not a chemist or biologist, however, when presented with a standard and comparing my sample to those figures, I think it spells out a pretty clear case of bad fuel.

You be the judge.

psychobilly
02-13-2012, 03:38 PM
Well, the results are in from the lab and as promised here they are:
You can read it for yourself or the "Cliffnotes" version is that according the ASTM standards Water and Sediment have a maximum spec of .05%, my sample tested at .200%. Also the allowable limit for Particulate Contamination is 10mg/L and my sample tested at 56.0mg/L.

As I have stated before, I am not a chemist or biologist, however, when presented with a standard and comparing my sample to those figures, I think it spells out a pretty clear case of bad fuel.

You be the judge.

Looks like it's time for them to pay up!!!

jkski
02-13-2012, 03:43 PM
Well, all of my info/documentation is already in the hands of my attorney so we will see what come of this. I have asked the dealership to provide me with a quote for replacing the CP3(high pressure pump) as well as the FPR(fuel pressure regulator) as they are the only 2 items that I did not replace this time around and I fear that it is a matter of WHEN, not IF they will go bad from this.

jkski
03-08-2012, 10:17 AM
For those of you who are still interested in knowing how this ends, here is a quick update:

IT has taken longer than I would have liked but my attorney sent a nicely worded letter to the gas station company stating the issue, the facts and that I had retained his services to resolve this matter. Yesterday I received a copy of their response which was sent directly from their insurance company, who is now handling the claim. They requested documentation of the expenses I have paid and stated that they are looking into the fuel logs and any other complaints for the stations in question.
So, no resolution yet but at least I have movement.

As a side note, since the repairs were made this time around I have purchased fuel only at BP and Shell stations and have put roughly 2k miles on the truck without issue. I did replace the fuel filter as the dealer had suggested, just to make certain that any possible leftover junk would be out of the system completely. So, when I removed it, I proceeded to cut it open and everything looked nice and clean, even the excess fuel that came out of it.

DooSPX
03-08-2012, 10:45 AM
Glad to hear it worked out... let us know what they decide to do for you!

captain planet
03-08-2012, 11:02 AM
:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

This has started to make me wonder if getting a TDI Jetta was such a good idea. Keep us posted JK!

jkski
03-08-2012, 11:35 AM
I will let you know where this all ends up, certainly not counting my chickens before they are hatched.
As many people have pointed out to me, there are a lot of diesel vehicles running around out there and I think I was just the victim of bad timing and poor quality fuel. Anything can happen, and while the station I was going to is part of a large chain, I guess it is still safer to stick with a company like BP or Shell. I also think, at least from what I have read, the fuel system on some vehicles are more sensitive than others, so a Jetta in your case, may have been able to weather the storm of debris, one will never know and I hope you never have to find out!

jkski
03-21-2012, 07:06 AM
Received a call from the attorney yesterday and the insurance company for the station stated that they have issued a check......I will believe it when I have it in my hands. Not exactly sure what amount they are covering, certainly would hope for the entire thing but anything is better than nothing!

Double D
03-21-2012, 09:12 AM
Received a call from the attorney yesterday and the insurance company for the station stated that they have issued a check......I will believe it when I have it in my hands. Not exactly sure what amount they are covering, certainly would hope for the entire thing but anything is better than nothing!

Well that's something. If the entire amount, then great! Good for you and the consumer!

pmkkdx
03-21-2012, 09:39 AM
I just found this out ... my son's finance's brother recently transferred from GA to Fort Hood TX (Army) and somewhere along the way picked up bad fuel (no clue where) which in turn trashed his system ... truck (6.7 Cummins) is out of factory warranty but his own comprehensive insurance is covering his fuel system repairs (estimated >$7k by an independant >$10K dealer). I had never thought about this option but kinda makes sense.

jkski
03-21-2012, 12:01 PM
Keep your receipts and try to narrow down the culprit, in my case it helped that I religiously filled-up at 1 of 2 stations both owned by the same company.

In the end, something gained out of this is far better than nothing and gets me closer to breakeven than I am now!

jkski
04-24-2012, 07:53 AM
Well, it only took about 3 months and getting an attorney involved but a check finally arrived yesterday to cover my damages. The funny thing is the insurance adjuster for the station stated to my attorney "I don't know why they (the station) chose to try and deny your clients claim initially, because we have several claims going from those stations during that same time period."

Always keep receipts and document everything is the lesson to be learned here, otherwise I am pretty sure I would have been up a creek without a paddle.

Double D
04-24-2012, 09:09 AM
Well, it only took about 3 months and getting an attorney involved but a check finally arrived yesterday to cover my damages. The funny thing is the insurance adjuster for the station stated to my attorney "I don't know why they (the station) chose to try and deny your clients claim initially, because we have several claims going from those stations during that same time period."

Always keep receipts and document everything is the lesson to be learned here, otherwise I am pretty sure I would have been up a creek without a paddle.

Glad everything worked out the way it should have for you.

pmkkdx
04-24-2012, 09:16 AM
glad it all finally got settled!

SilviaMan
04-24-2012, 10:21 AM
About a year ago we had an issue with our power stroke. My father was moving my sister back from Iowa (to ohio) and some where along the line got some fuel with algae in it. Truck kept losing power, barely made it home pulling a 24' enclosed trailer.
While tracking the problem down I had to pull the tank due to a restriction in there, found this "interesting" setup of screens on the pick up tube all covered in Black crap. So I decided that those screens need not ever go back in the tank. I made a piece of pipe to take the place of the screen piece and installed a semi truck fuel filter base and filter ahead of the tank on a bracket out from the frame rail. I plan to never pull that tank ever again!

joniron1
04-26-2012, 12:08 PM
A few years ago I had a simular problem with gas in my wifes camry.She always bought fuel from a particular independent gas station near our house so I know it was their fuel to blame.The station denied any fault .They said they had just replaced filters at the pumps and didn't have any other complaints ,but neither my wife nor myself ever got gas reciepts and therefore didn't have any form of proof. Allstate covered $2300 in repairs and told us the gas sample at the dealership was obviously contaminated and there was no need for testing.Also Allstate said if we would have had reciepts they would have gone after the station to recoup their money. So the lesson I learned is always get reciepts and Im glad I had full coverage.

j2nh
04-26-2012, 01:18 PM
Been a gas man all my life but as I look at replacing my current tow vehicle the trend is certainly towards diesel. How common are these nightmares? We travel a fair amount and I have to confess at not being the best at saving receipts.
Fluke occurrence or happens more frequently than we hear about?

SilviaMan
04-26-2012, 01:25 PM
Fuel contamination is always a concern whether it be gas or diesel.
The best advice is to buy any fuel from a high volume location.
I will drive 10 miles out of my way to put fuel in our diesel truck to make sure I get the best fuel possible. (There is a station that is next to the highway and has semi pumps, which I use to fill up.)

jkski
04-26-2012, 03:28 PM
If I have learned nothing else from this process I now know that you can likely get bad fuel just about anywhere but as stated, if you go to high volume places you decrease your chances. That being said, on both occassions that I received bad fuel, I was at a high-volume station and in-fact the same stations where I have been filling up for nearly 10 years, without issue.
Today's diesel fuel is different and from what the testing companies have explained to me, it is difficult for some stations to maintain it in their tanks without having it grow bacteria. This issue gets compounded when a tanker stops in to fill the tanks and stirs everything up in the tanks.
Long and short, fill up at high volume stations and never fill-up when a tanker is present filling the in-ground tanks.