PDA

View Full Version : Trailer paint on the keel of my X15

ZachDaddy
01-22-2012, 11:14 PM
Anyone else have trailer paint on the keel of their boat? The keel rubs on the first cross strut in front of the mid bunks...if that makes sense. I use acetone to get it off but I want this to stop.

I thought about getting some 3m clear bra material and put it on trailer where its rubbing or a trail pad and use a few stainless steel pop rivets.

Thoughts?

Jeff d
01-22-2012, 11:19 PM
These are designed specifically to address your problem:
http://www.stoltzind.com/crossmember.html

Figure out which one would work best for the spot you need to put it.

Jeff d
01-22-2012, 11:23 PM
Oh, if this is not just a design flaw for your trailer it's possible that one of the axles for your rollers is bent and allowing the boat to go "deeper" on the trailer than what's appropriate. I'd check them all to make sure that they're rolling smoothly and that there's no uneven wear on them.

My trailer was 12 years old and had rubber rollers but a couple of them had become misshapen and then kinda collapsed internally effectively making those rollers about 1/2" lower than they should have been. My axles were badly corroded too.

onewheat
01-23-2012, 02:33 AM
I don't have that issue on my X-15. It might be the angle of your ramp - dunno?

GoneBoatN
01-23-2012, 10:33 AM
I don't have that issue on my X-15. It might be the angle of your ramp - dunno?

Same here.

cf_koch
01-25-2012, 07:12 PM
I have a Maristar 215- Same hull as x-15 I believe- and have had the same problem. Not only did I get red marks on my hull bottom, I got a large gouge allong the keel line. After I had the gouge fixed, I insalled the Stoltz pads mentioned above and have not had a problem. I also only allow the boat to drift up to the trailer until it stops and wench on to prevent any more costly damage. To me I would rather turn a few cranks on the wench than chance more damage to my hull.

Thrall
01-26-2012, 03:36 PM
Shim up the bunks a little?
Or replace them, are they getting worn and sagging?