PDA

View Full Version : A football icon

Jerseydave
01-22-2012, 01:11 PM
God bless Joe Paterno

http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/sports-cfb/20120122/20120122102613286656408/?cid=hero_media

2RLAKE
01-22-2012, 01:39 PM
so sad ... one of the best coaches ever ... sad he left football/life with that terrible scandal

hoosier skier
01-23-2012, 12:07 PM
Too bad he didn't have enough concern for those kids to take a stronger stand against that predator on his staff . As Ricky Ricardo would say , you got some splaining to do .

scott023
01-23-2012, 02:26 PM
Too bad he didn't have enough concern for those kids to take a stronger stand against that predator on his staff . As Ricky Ricardo would say , you got some splaining to do .

Give it a rest there bud. The man has passed, and he did more good than one can measure in his time at Penn State.

RIP Joe.

Double D
01-23-2012, 02:38 PM
Give it a rest there bud. The man has passed, and he did more good than one can measure in his time at Penn State.

RIP Joe.

Agreed!!

RIP Joe!!

Ron Grover
01-23-2012, 02:40 PM
I'm with Hoosier Skier. You don't get a pass for some things. Sometimes actions are so egregious that even after death your actions of good do not get to overshadow your personal sins.

Joe Paterno was a good football coach but he was a bad man.

scott023
01-23-2012, 04:02 PM
I'm with Hoosier Skier. You don't get a pass for some things. Sometimes actions are so egregious that even after death your actions of good do not get to overshadow your personal sins.

Seriously? I'm quite sure you don't know enough about what transpired to make a comment like that.

GT500 MC
01-23-2012, 04:07 PM

No one's giving him a pass for a terrible decision he allegedly made, or didn't make. Just saying good-bye.

JDK
01-26-2012, 11:47 PM
Seriously? I'm quite sure you don't know enough about what transpired to make a comment like that.

Yes.... seriously.
Read the Grand Jury report
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/sports/documents/sandusky-grand-jury-report11052011.html

Paterno dropped the ball on the biggest play of his career.

scott023
01-27-2012, 10:05 AM
Yes.... seriously.
Read the Grand Jury report
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/sports/documents/sandusky-grand-jury-report11052011.html

Paterno dropped the ball on the biggest play of his career.

I bet you're hoping that when you pass, no one will focus on all the bad you've done... but then again, karma is a .....!

JDK
01-27-2012, 12:06 PM
I bet you're hoping that when you pass, no one will focus on all the bad you've done... but then again, karma is a .....!

He based his career on 'Honesty Integerty etc. etc.'
He protected a pedophile. What kind of 'MAN' does this???? Ron Grover hit the nail on the head above.

I'd say karma (and the abuse victims) are getting a sweet taste of karma right now.

ski/hunt
01-27-2012, 12:48 PM
His lack of doing what "really" mattered in the lives of others wrote the "bad" that he will be remembered for!!! His "Karma" not mine!!
I don't care if he was the "best" coach that ever lived----HE wrote his legacy by turning his head!!

That's all I will remember him for---------His Fault!!!

tommcat
01-27-2012, 01:15 PM

RIP Joe.

just curious, what are the great things he did?

scott023
01-27-2012, 01:56 PM
He based his career on 'Honesty Integerty etc. etc.'
He protected a pedophile. What kind of 'MAN' does this???? Ron Grover hit the nail on the head above.

I'd say karma (and the abuse victims) are getting a sweet taste of karma right now.

That's not I've read.... but I guess that will come out in the wash.

scott023
01-27-2012, 02:01 PM
just curious, what are the great things he did?

Really? Are you really asking that question? I have no dog in this battle, I am not PSU fan, or a Paterno fan, but there is no doubt that he positively affected a lot of students lives on that campus. Take some time to read what they say, and not what the negative press is reporting, before you come to your own conclusions.

tommcat
01-27-2012, 02:35 PM
Really? Are you really asking that question? I have no dog in this battle, I am not PSU fan, or a Paterno fan, but there is no doubt that he positively affected a lot of students lives on that campus. Take some time to read what they say, and not what the negative press is reporting, before you come to your own conclusions.
yes really. i'm not a fan of his or any rivals, i actually dont really like football or college sports in general so even though you seem to find it unbelievable, i dont know about any of these great things he's supposedly done for the world. the only thing i know about the guy is based on all the reports that he had a diddler working for him and supposedly was well aware of it and chose to cover it up.

scott023
01-27-2012, 03:20 PM
yes really. i'm not a fan of his or any rivals, i actually dont really like football or college sports in general so even though you seem to find it unbelievable, i dont know about any of these great things he's supposedly done for the world. the only thing i know about the guy is based on all the reports that he had a diddler working for him and supposedly was well aware of it and chose to cover it up.

You should really read more on the subject than what you have... the things the students have said about him speak volumes towards his character.

ski/hunt
01-27-2012, 03:48 PM
I'm sure the victims could speak volumes about the lack character of a man they may have assumed would be the man to save them---and when he turned his head on them I'm sure thats what they will remember----not how he could teach some to play a game!! (the players made him a success anyway!)

tommcat
01-27-2012, 07:18 PM
You should really read more on the subject than what you have... the things the students have said about him speak volumes towards his character.i also saw students on tv crying at the "candlelight vigil" talking about the fact that even though they had never met him or had any interaction with him, he was the greatest influence on their lives and how he changed their life. so forgive me for not really putting a whole lot into what they say about him.
but back to the original question i asked you, what exactly has he done that makes him such a great person that people should look past his role in a child molestation scandal? other than being a good football coach, what are all these great contributions to society that i keep hearing about?
in my opinion, his not coming forward about one of his own people when he knew what they were doing speaks volumes about his character.

ddanenberger
01-27-2012, 07:42 PM
What speaks volumes is he put the school and team sucess before protecting kids. Great coach or not, he is a failure. Honor him...for what...turning a blind eye?

hoosier skier
01-27-2012, 09:03 PM
Evil suceeds when good people turn a blind eye , lesson for ALL of us !

JDK
01-28-2012, 12:30 AM
That's not I've read.... but I guess that will come out in the wash.

The wash has already come out..... and it is filthy. This isn't a story on TMZ.

Read page 7 of the Grand Jury report.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv...t11052011.html

2RLAKE
01-28-2012, 09:50 AM
The wash has already come out..... and it is filthy. This isn't a story on TMZ.

Read page 7 of the Grand Jury report.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv...t11052011.html

the link didn't work but one can google it ... horrific

say a prayer for the victims, hope this never happens again, and hope others will learn from it ... Sandusky is pure evil

GT500 MC
01-28-2012, 11:44 AM
the link didn't work but one can google it ... horrific

say a prayer for the victims, hope this never happens again, and hope others will learn from it ... Sandusky is pure evil

That I think we can all agree on.

Ron Grover
07-13-2012, 12:57 PM
It's time his statue is melted down for bars to hold his other co-conspirators. Doesn't matter how much he paid to have his name on the library. Some things go beyond the ability of money to fix.

It's more than a shame he thought so little of kids that he allowed everything to continue with his knowledge.

Sandusky was a monster, the others covering for him out of loyalty were very bad people. This is when your values are rotten to your core.

mbeach
07-13-2012, 06:32 PM

exactly, now ncaa is considering vacating wins since 1998. would he have chosen the same course of action if it had been his kid??? not!!

milkmania
07-13-2012, 07:59 PM
exactly, now ncaa is considering vacating wins since 1998. would he have chosen the same course of action if it had been his kid??? not!!

hate to see that for the kids that participated in those wins...
If nothing else comes of this, perhaps a leader of authority will change the way he handles a mess like this.
And I've read enough in news reports to make this statement.... "Joe Paterno went out of his way to protect a pedophile"

I don't mean any disrespect to the titles of his team, as I could care less about football..... but, this is about moral integrity, not football.

ahhudgins
07-14-2012, 12:25 PM
Evil suceeds when good people turn a blind eye , lesson for ALL of us !

Very well put.

Having been involved in a child sex abuse case, Iím disgusted at how adults will look the other way when it means they have to admit a family member or friend is a pedophile. They truly believe that if they look the other way, the problem will go away. Fact is, it only gets worse and it allows other children to be hurt, as in the PSU case. Everyone involved who didnít report the abuse to the police (Joe included) are scum of the earth. They were more concerned about their football program than the safety and the lives of the kids being assaulted. Iím sorry, but I have no compassion for anyone who abuses a child or the people who cover it upÖno matter how many football games they have won.

Ron Grover
07-22-2012, 10:10 AM
Joe Paterno statue at Penn State taken down!!!

Cloaked
07-22-2012, 04:34 PM
Joe Paterno statue at Penn State taken down!!!
Took long enough. He knew since 1998 that kids were being molested and abused.

Any takers on topic?

DemolitionMan
07-23-2012, 01:17 PM
$60 million fine
Vacation of wins from 1998-2011 (112 wins)*
Four-year postseason ban
Four-year scholarship reduction (10 initial; 20 total)
Players may transfer and play immediately at other schools
Athletic department on probation for five years
Joe Paterno record now 298-136-3; fifth on FBS all-time list

02ProstarSammyD
07-23-2012, 01:26 PM
big ten just nailed them for another 13 mil and no conf champ for 4 years. Might as well been the death penalty all over. PSU is toast for 10 years at min

aquaman
07-23-2012, 01:29 PM
$60 million fine
Vacation of wins from 1998-2011 (112 wins)*
Four-year postseason ban
Four-year scholarship reduction (10 initial; 20 total)
Players may transfer and play immediately at other schools
Athletic department on probation for five years
Joe Paterno record now 298-136-3; fifth on FBS all-time list

I applaud the NCAA for acutally taking action without the fanfare and politics of going through their normal committee process.

Clearly Paterno had double standards........he spoke one thing but lived another.

milkmania
07-23-2012, 02:48 PM
I applaud the NCAA for acutally taking action without the fanfare and politics of going through their normal committee process.

Clearly Paterno had double standards........he spoke one thing but lived another.

it happens more often than we'll ever know

Shane21
07-23-2012, 03:18 PM
His statue came down TODAY!

mzimme
07-23-2012, 03:23 PM
I've been listening to a bunch of talk radio this morning, and one guy was discussing this topic pretty heavily. He believes this punishment was a slap on the wrist. I kind of agree...

While it cripples that program for many many years, it doesn't do those victims enough justice to an institution that covered this up for so long because of the money that football brings in. They reported $50M in profit last year... PROFIT. For comparison, Purdue brought in $6M. There's no doubt in my mind that people knew about this that weren't involved in the athletic program, and it was hidden so long to keep the money coming in.

Others are saying this punishment is too harsh on the program, because the kids that are there now didn't have anything to do with what's happening.

Thoughts?

tideengineer
07-23-2012, 03:29 PM
plus Penn State has like $5 billion in endowments....lots should be paid out to the victims.

jkski
07-23-2012, 04:16 PM
My opinion only:
I am not a PSU fan and I certainly think that the harshest of punishment should come down upon every person who was involved in this however, I fail to understand how the current players and in some cases coaches as well as the students on the campus need to pay the price. This is undoubtedly an unforgivable act and one that needs to be severely punished but I am unclear as to why the NCAA needs to get involved in what is a criminal act.
I am an Ohio State fan and while it did not thrill me to see the penalties they sufferred I can somewhat understand them as they were brought about by the actions of then current players/coaches.....the players and coaches screwed up and therefore the program clearly must pay, cut and dry. But in the case of PSU, is the NCAA saying that the players and every coach knew about this and covered it up because their actions are saying this.

The families of the victims need to compensated in some manner, legally, mentally, monetarily, you choose and steps need to be taken to insure that nothing like this ever happens again but to make the current players wear this on their shoulders does not seem right. I am sure that people are involved that we, the general public, will never know of and they likely will not uncover everyone but those they do find need to be punished.

76S&S
07-23-2012, 04:27 PM
I don't think the punishment was harsh enough but at least it was quick. Joe Pa was a representative of the University and acted on behalf of the University, whether he thought he did or not.

To paraphrase an unknown individual that I heard on talk radio this morning. "The only thing worse than a pedofile, is the one(s) that cover up what they do and allow them to continue with their behavior"

kgrove
07-23-2012, 04:31 PM
If you focus on punishment of those who did wrong, you'd conclude the wrongdoers are dead to already charged with crimes, plus penalties and sanctions hurt people not involved. I think it's better to think two ways:

One, the penalties are not for the sexual abuse itself, it's for the university, community, and fans that deified a man and a football program and allowed the athletic program too much power.

Two, the penalties establish a precedent and cost to a university and community for letting greed and pride to overcome ethics and control. This should give states, university presidents, and university boards the teeth needed to reestablish control over behemoth and rich athletic departments. If I were the university president at Notre Dame, Texas, Alabama, USC, etc. I would immediately want to audit my athletic department and make sure I had adequate controls, whistle blower programs, training, etc in place that if something unethical or illegal did take place it would be less likely to get covered up, and if it did, the University would at least look like it had done everything possible to limit the likelihood and make the coverup even more obviously the work of a couple crooks not a bumbling group af administrators more concerned with money and reputation than what is morally right.

Granite_33
07-23-2012, 04:54 PM
I'm not a PSU hater for certain, but they got what was coming to them, and what was necessary.

Penalties needed to come to bear on the institution today. Otherwise the precedent that anything that was done in the past is only punishable to those who did it in the past becomes a rallying cry for no more than slaps on wrists of the institutions.

I would have been more in favor of monetary punishments had the NCAA not offered the opportunity for the current players to transfer. The worst position in the world would be to be a freshman / sophmore at that school and have to deal with the marginalization of a program and have no options in front of you. That said, transferring, I am sure is no easy option.

Even though they have a 4 year Bowl and Big Ten championship ban, I don't see this program getting back on its feet for 8-10 years.

tideengineer
07-23-2012, 05:39 PM
I graduated from Alabama and watched the NCAA hammer us a few times...if UA allowed something of this magnitude to go down that affected the young lives of children I would move my allegience to Troy University and Auburn. I would expect the death penalty and lock the doors to the offices for a few years.

I feel sorry for the student athletes right now...sad for them that had nothing to do with the bad.

Cloaked
07-23-2012, 05:45 PM
..........I feel sorry for the student athletes right now...sad for them that had nothing to do with the bad.Lest you forget the victims of the molestation. How do think they have been feeling all along? Current student atheletes have not been assaulted. They made their choice and still have other choices if they are really uptight about their temporary scrutiny.

Not a good situation in any manner. And if nothing had been done to this degree, there would be no deterent for the next power band.

tideengineer
07-23-2012, 06:06 PM
...let me clarify my statement..."the only people I feel sorry for that are affilated with Penn State right now officially are the current student athletes that knew nothing of this when they signed up"...

milkmania
10-07-2012, 01:41 PM
HARRISBURG, Pa. (AP) — Jerry Sandusky will walk into state prison with little more than a watch and wedding band. He'll be able to work a 30-hour week to make a few dollars. He'll be able to watch Penn State football, but not violent movies.Inmates can buy a television with a 13-inch screen for their cells, at a cost of about $275, with prison-designed programming of about 15 channels that costs some $15 a month. The channels include the networks but no R-rated movies or shows with a lot of violence.
He'll be able to watch college football, including Penn State, when the games are broadcast on ESPN or another major network.
Sandusky, who has a master's degree, will be encouraged to work, and most inmates do, although it's not technically mandatory. An inmate's first job is often in the kitchen or doing janitorial work, while more coveted occupations include maintenance, landscaping, clerical work or tutoring.
The pay barely covers the cable bill: 19 to 51 cents an hour, with a 30-hour work week. Some of that money may go to pay fines or costs, or toward the $10 copay for a doctor visit.
State prison menus rotate monthly, and two of the three daily meals are hot. Exercise rules vary, but inmates generally spend an hour or more a day in the yard, which might entail walking, playing ball or lifting weights. If he's at a prison that allows baseball or softball, the bat has to be tethered and secured to the backstop. In the kitchen, knives also are tethered.

If Sandusky writes a book, state law will prevent him from making any money off of it.
http://news.yahoo.com/jerry-sandusky-look-forward-prison-142119665--spt.html