PDA

View Full Version : Wakeskate Selection

medicmoose
01-21-2012, 09:03 AM
I'm looking to get our son a wakeskate for his 10th birthday. He is on the shorter side and weighs in around 70 lbs. What kind of size should I be looking for? I've seen some wakeskates that have almost like 2 boards joined together and some that are just a single board....not sure what the difference is.

Can anyone give me some tips on what to look for?

Thanks!

dlamont
01-21-2012, 05:49 PM
the 2 boards joined together are called bi-levels, which I ride and love. If your son is just getting into wakeskating I would start with something simple with a foam top deck, you can pick one up for around $100. If he's really into wakeskating, go with a wood board with grip tape top. Either way he'll be pumped!!

aaron.
01-23-2012, 05:54 PM
^I agree 100% with dlamont.

medicmoose
01-23-2012, 08:56 PM
Sounds good...I'll start my search. One question...what is the advantage/purpose of those bi-level boards?

dlamont
01-23-2012, 09:14 PM
most bi-levels are heavier so they will spin more consistent for shuv tricks and won't float away going wake2wake. the seperation of the two boards at the tip and tail tend to make it easier to load for ollies. any "pro" level wakeskate will be great but if you go wood just plan on replacing it after a few seasons, fiberglass will hold up forever. I prefer wood with a griptape top, but there are plenty of pros that have fiberglass boards with foam tops ie: Brian Grubb.

medicmoose
01-24-2012, 07:46 AM
Right on...thanks for the help!