PDA

View Full Version : Tower Advice for an 81 Stars and Stripes

subs
01-20-2012, 08:24 PM
:D

Hi there,

I'm new here. I have a blue stars and stripes and we're looking to install a tower onto it this year. Just had the upholstery done so its looking great and we think adding a tower will finish it off.

Any suggestions to get a nice sturdy tower that looks great on an older boat?

Thanks in advance!

jhall0711
01-20-2012, 08:27 PM
Hmmmm.... you sure you want to throw a tower on it? Its nice to keep those old classics.... well classic.

subs
01-20-2012, 08:29 PM
Hmmmm.... you sure you want to throw a tower on it? Its nice to keep those old classics.... well classic.

Yeah we do. We have a ten foot pole right now and it looks dumb, gets in the way, and isn't very sturdy.

I do love my boat though, it is a looker.

jhall0711
01-20-2012, 08:30 PM
I think youll find a good majority of the guys on here with older prostars/proskiers will use the fly high pole rather than add a tower.... They were not originally designed for that kind of stress on the fiberglass. If you do it you will have to glass in supports; either wood or steal to hold up to the stress the tower puts on it.

subs
01-20-2012, 08:37 PM
in case anyone is curious about the upholstery:

http://i.imgur.com/hzY0p.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Zq5M3.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/tE4Da.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/0Q33x.jpg

holdenh2o
01-20-2012, 09:17 PM
The interior is incredibly clean - great job.

I would, too, suggest that you think long and hard about adding a tower for the following reasons: Not made for a tower (already stated) and resell (a classic the way it is; aso, already stated). If you plan on upgrading to another boat, the tower may become an albatross to selling.

If you do install a tower - I sure wanna see it:)

Double D
01-20-2012, 09:38 PM
You will take a lot of crap about putting a tower on that boat, so be prepared. But to each his own. Sweet looking interior. Lets see the exterior.

Is that a 69 Chevelle your restoring back there?

Lumbergh
01-20-2012, 09:52 PM
Very nice S&S.

stars83stripes
01-21-2012, 03:48 AM
I have yet to see a S&S that I thought looked good with a tower. That interior is sweet btw.

03geetee
01-21-2012, 02:05 PM
Great looking boat, and dont put a tumor on it.

JTR

mikeg205
01-21-2012, 03:46 PM
+1 for me... if you really want a tower sell the s&s and get a "X".

Jerseydave
01-21-2012, 04:57 PM
Nice looking boat....got any side-view pics?

I also say no tower....I wouldn't even want to drill holes for a bimini top! Too nice.

A Fly-high extended pylon should be plenty sturdy with the bow strap. Are you wakeboarding with that boat? I would guess the wake is just so-so since it's such a flat bottom slalom machine.

AZDave
01-21-2012, 05:33 PM
I guess the tower does buy you some room, but the boat is not designed for advanced wakeboarding. If you are below intermediate level you would do just as well with a rope off the back of the boat. An advanced wakeboarder would need a wakeboard boat. Again it is your boat, if you do the tower, research it and do it right and enjoy it!

johnlanguab
01-21-2012, 05:39 PM
I, too, couldn't bring myself to put a tower on my old MC. Although I do love to wakeboard. I put a flyhigh pole with abow strap on and it is plenty sturdy.

jakethebt
01-21-2012, 05:40 PM
Wow... great interior!

As already stated... you are going to get a lot of feedback on putting a tower on a classic so be prepared. Don't let that scare you off the site, that is almost fighting words to a bunch of these fanatics. You might as well have asked to date their sister...

To answer your question, one of the more popular recommendations for towers around here will be new dimensions out of TN. For a S&S boat, you may want to consider the mini tower? It may be a good compromise of looks and function. As others have already stated, you will have to glass in the reinforcements.

Sorry it took until two pages of posts to finally get AN answer to your question.

strad
01-21-2012, 07:15 PM
Well I'll tell you as someone who's got his eyes open for a nice Stars and Stripes (83-85 btw) I am specifically looking for a boat that has never had a tower on it. I'm an old school guy who wants an old school boat that hasn't been buggered with.

Now, if you plan to keep the boat forever, nothing wrong with putting a tower on it and making it suit your needs. If you're planning on trading up in the future, however, you may want to re-think putting a tower on it, since the buyer of your boat likely wants it to be classically clean. That's just how most people looking for an S&S are :)

phickman
01-21-2012, 07:20 PM
Go with a Fly High Pole. Works just fine. Add a board rack to it. I have seen a busted gunnel on an 85 ss from a tower. Not designed for it, though many do it. Beautiful boat. Love the restomod interior. Nice job.

JohnE
01-21-2012, 07:23 PM
I have to agree, putting a tower on that boat is heresy. But if it absolutely changes and improves your time on the water then go ahead. If I needed a tower on a boat that is so classic and in such nice shape, I would put on a monster tower. I would put aside the money saved vs. buying a better looking tower so that I could remove tower and repair gel prior to resale. If I were buying a classic s&s, it would not have a tower

ahhudgins
01-21-2012, 07:36 PM
Go with a Fly High Pole. Works just fine. Add a board rack to it. I have seen a busted gunnel on an 85 ss from a tower. Not designed for it, though many do it. Beautiful boat. Love the restomod interior. Nice job.

Ditto on all points.

Not to knock anyone who has put a tower on a S&S boat, but I think a tower takes away from the classic look of those boats.

captain planet
01-21-2012, 07:46 PM

Hi there,

I'm new here. I have a blue stars and stripes and we're looking to install a tower onto it this year. Just had the upholstery done so its looking great and we think adding a tower will finish it off.

Thanks in advance!

Yea, a tower will finish it off alright. :(

Welcome to the board. :)

SunCoast 83
01-21-2012, 09:45 PM
Great looking interior.

They are all right. Us S&S Boys are usually anti-tower. The fly high poles work great on these boats for what you need them to do.

ahhudgins
01-21-2012, 09:52 PM
Great looking interior.

They are all right. Us S&S Boys are usually anti-tower. The fly high poles work great on these boats for what you need them to do.

Now THAT is a pretty S&S. I had the same color combo on my 79....love the black and grey.

tph
01-21-2012, 11:03 PM

Hi there,

Thanks in advance!

I wouldn't put a tower on my S&S. But, if you had to pick the least offensive look, I think the Proflight tower probably follows the lines of the windshield best. I've heard that they do custom work as well.

orbeamlb
02-12-2012, 01:53 PM
Great looking interior.

That's a beautiful S&S. My 88 ProStar 200 is Grey with Blue and I'm looking at the Fly High Pole (thought about a tower but just couldn't spoil the classic lines). I see you have the Aluminum X-Pole, what are your thoughts on the Aluminum vs. the Stainless Version?

dukemastercraft
02-18-2012, 11:54 PM
Well I bought a 1980 Stars and Stripes with a tower and I like the looks. I do agree the glass is not strong enough to old but my buds machine shop can take care of that issue. We love wakeboarding to much to worry about what someone else thinks. Love the upholstery! Mine was rough when I bought and wish it looked anything like yours but we will get there. Here is a pic of my boat. http://www.flickr.com/photos/76950615@N07/6900459799/

mikeg205
02-19-2012, 12:20 AM
Well I bought a 1980 Stars and Stripes with a tower and I like the looks. I do agree the glass is not strong enough to old but my buds machine shop can take care of that issue. We love wakeboarding to much to worry about what someone else thinks. Love the upholstery! Mine was rough when I bought and wish it looked anything like yours but we will get there. Here is a pic of my boat. http://www.flickr.com/photos/76950615@N07/6900459799/

wow interesting mount... now all we need is some youtube vidoe of the action...

subs
05-21-2012, 03:49 PM
Great looking interior.

That looks pretty clean. I'm still torn on this issue.

mzimme
05-21-2012, 04:13 PM

If there's one way to make putting a tower on these boats worse, it would be mounting it in the wrong spot. That looks terrible, IMO.

captain planet
05-21-2012, 04:25 PM

Ugh. Will somebody please take that boat away from this guy?

thatsmrmastercraft
05-21-2012, 04:45 PM
Without a doubt, this is the worst tower installation I have ever seen.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
05-21-2012, 05:28 PM

Its a shame too, because rest off the boat looks pretty good...

thatsmrmastercraft
05-21-2012, 05:38 PM
Its a shame too, because rest off the boat looks pretty good...

Looks like he did a fair amount of work to get to where it is now. Definitely a nice looking boat, but.................:confused::o

subs
05-21-2012, 06:06 PM
That boat reminds me of a lego police boat for some reason.

orbeamlb
05-21-2012, 10:46 PM
If there's one way to make putting a tower on these boats worse, it would be mounting it in the wrong spot. That looks terrible, IMO.

Reminds me of a Shrimp Boat (IMHO)

orbeamlb
05-21-2012, 10:56 PM
Went with the Fly High X-Pole on the PS 200. Easy up/down and solid pull.

thatsmrmastercraft
05-22-2012, 09:15 AM
Went with the Fly High X-Pole on the PS 200. Easy up/down and solid pull.

Nice set-up.:cool:

swatguy
05-22-2012, 10:01 AM
I am a tower lover, but man........................Thats awful.

IMO Stars n Stripes = High Pole or Monkey Bar. Both look classy on a classic. Chances of selling that boat with a tower to someone else are slim. Especially with tower in the wrong place........ Keep it as original as possible.

It not our boat though and if the owner likes it kudos........still fugly tho

mzimme
05-22-2012, 10:17 AM
I am a tower lover, but man........................Thats awful.

IMO Stars n Stripes = High Pole or Monkey Bar. Both look classy on a classic. Chances of selling that boat with a tower to someone else are slim. Especially with tower in the wrong place........ Keep it as original as possible.

It not our boat though and if the owner likes it kudos........still fugly tho

Thing is, thats not even pulling over the tracking fins. Not only does it look terrible, it won't even funtion correctly to "do what he loves to do".

Sad, really...

milehigh970
05-23-2012, 10:14 PM
Orbeamlb- what height bimini is that?

orbeamlb
05-24-2012, 10:26 PM

I'll have to measure it this weekend. It is original to the boat.

orbeamlb
05-28-2012, 12:34 PM

It's a three bow and the height above the floor for each is as follows:

Front = 53"
Center = 57.5"
Rear = 57"

ted shred
05-28-2012, 12:59 PM
NO no no no no no!!!

imracin68j
05-30-2012, 01:36 AM
http://bakersfield.craigslist.org/boa/3044818405.html

Here's an 81. I think it looks great.

petermegan
05-30-2012, 03:46 AM
No, Sorry, New tower on old boat just doesn't go. Not for me but everyone to their own.

O2BESOHUGE
06-28-2012, 03:00 PM

THIS IS JUST OUTRIGHT WRONG!