PDA

View Full Version : 89 prostar 190 tranny question

lumberjack
01-20-2012, 05:38 PM
I have an 89 prostar 190, 2nd year, noticed at end of season when i would come out of forward and into neutral, i would hear a very faint "ring" for about a second. anything to be concerned with? also, how do you flush out old fluid to replace with new, one thing i thought i would try in the upcoming spring

tph
01-20-2012, 05:53 PM
I have an 89 prostar 190, 2nd year, noticed at end of season when i would come out of forward and into neutral, i would hear a very faint "ring" for about a second. anything to be concerned with? also, how do you flush out old fluid to replace with new, one thing i thought i would try in the upcoming spring

Are you sure it's coming from the transmission? My '89 used to ring when i put it in gear and up to about 1000 RPM. I tried so many things to get it to stop. It turned out to be the propeller. It was resonating while rotating. I filed the edge of each blade flat and the ring went away.

Lakeview
01-24-2012, 07:29 AM
Try changing your fluid first,if the condition still exists check your damper plate on the flywheel(tranny has to come out).The springs wear over time and rattle.

RadarDad
01-24-2012, 08:17 AM
I had a 1988 Prostar 190 and had 2 damper plates go bad. They made a clanking noise, because the springs had started to come lose. When I had 800 plus hours I had the trans rebuilt and installed a new dampers plate.

Roger