PDA

View Full Version : How do you get the slack out?

Upper Michigan Prostar190
08-09-2005, 08:40 AM
So I have been skiing a bit more aggresively as the summer goes on and I have developed a bad habit. I get lots of rope slack on my off side turn. I get a nice smooth turn on the other side, and I have decent form. but my off side is a herky-jerky turn do the amount of slack in the rope. now heres the deal: This happens most of the time, but I do get some decent turns on that side too. Now I am assuming I am accelerating too much crossing the wake and that I am too close to the boat when turning??? Do I need to keep pointed away from the boat until I turn?

I feel dumb asking this, but its easier said than done. I just have a bad technique habit I need to break.

It looks like a found a ski school in northern Wisconsin that I am going to spend a day at. I cant really do a full week school at this point due to finances and vacation plans. but I think I am at the point where I could benefit from a ski school. I am starting to progress in some areas and I am limited in others.

anyway, I appreciate your ideas on correcting this problem. :toast: :)

bfinley
08-09-2005, 08:57 AM
Where's the ski school??

Also, I think part of the answer may be to bring the rope down to your hips on your turn. That should help the slack. I'm not an expert though.

Joel
08-09-2005, 09:17 AM
Sounds like you ski too far out on that side.
Pull through both[I][U] wakes & set up your turn right away.
turn the center of your chest to where you want to go and bring the handle in down low to your hip & HANG ON! Do it over & over & over & over & over & over...

pilot02
08-09-2005, 09:22 AM
Get some pictures and the diagnosis will be much easier. First, make sure your arms are straight in line with the rope (not high or low). Think of them as an extension of the rope in essence.

Also, until you get some pics, try slowing your turn down (emphasize the preturn), and focus on your body position. Sounds like you may be skiing stiff legged in the turns on your offside. Try forcing your knees forward which will move you farther forward on the ski therefore slowing it down more. Also, as you finish the turn, try holding your position for slightly longer than you normally would and you should find yourself already in a leverage stance for crossing the wakes.

08-09-2005, 09:53 AM
Where's the ski school??

There is one in Eagle River, WI. I found on www.usawaterski.com

I may be going there soon. trying to work out the details now.

SteveO
08-09-2005, 10:19 AM
Sounds like you ski too far out on that side.
Pull through both[I][U] wakes & set up your turn right away.
turn the center of your chest to where you want to go and bring the handle in down low to your hip & HANG ON! Do it over & over & over & over & over & over...

If you are open water skiing, many individuals have a tendency to ski to wide before starting the next turn, thus causing slack. The other contributing factor could be a "double pull", which is letting up at the wake crossing on your weak side and reinstating the pull once you are through the wake.

Ric
08-09-2005, 10:52 AM
If you are open water skiing, many individuals have a tendency to ski to wide before starting the next turn, thus causing slack. The other contributing factor could be a "double pull", which is letting up at the wake crossing on your weak side and reinstating the pull once you are through the wake.
or a much more technical answer
GRIP IT AND RIP IT!

08-09-2005, 11:17 AM
You know, I think I do that "double pull" thing. I think I accelerate too fast on that side for just free skiing. then I got all that slack to deal with. OK, by theory arent you supposed to accelerate out of your turn until you get through the wake and then coast or decelerate in the turn??

See, I think I am skiin gto fast on the wrong side of the wake. I need to get my speed out of the turn and slow down over on teh other side to setup my turn. and then take a nice, smooth, slow turn. and then HOLD ON after I cut that ski around to generate speed to cross the wake. am I thinking correctly?

I think the problem is, I am growing in some areas faster than others, and need direction. I have really progressed alot this summer, but I am at a point where I need some coaching to get to the next level.

jamisonsbrodie
08-09-2005, 11:39 AM
Try to keep your shoulders square to the boat, and keep your elbows tucked in to your hips. With your wake, you should be able to stay on edge until you have crossed it, then begin your glide. The only time that your elbows should leave your hips is during the reach. A lot of people have a tendency to raise up the rope when there is slack, but if you keep the rope low, and pull it into your hips, it will keep tension on it.

08-09-2005, 12:48 PM
Try to keep your shoulders square to the boat, and keep your elbows tucked in to your hips. With your wake, you should be able to stay on edge until you have crossed it, then begin your glide. The only time that your elbows should leave your hips is during the reach. A lot of people have a tendency to raise up the rope when there is slack, but if you keep the rope low, and pull it into your hips, it will keep tension on it.

SO when do you glide until?? I feel dumb here as I have always continued accelerating after the wake. How do you know when to turn?

You know, now that I think of it, I turn much better when I am looking forward, paralell with the boat path. Head upright, looking forward, my body seems to find a "natural" posture and glide through the turn much better. Thats the trick, KNOWING how to do it rather than just letting it happen randomly. Hey, I am learning, and thats what its all about.

I have to train myself to accelerate hard thru the wake, then glide until I start my turn.

jamisonsbrodie
08-09-2005, 01:24 PM
[QUOTE=Upper Michigan Prostar190]SO when do you glide until??

What rope length are you using? 60' (15 off) should be the max length for any skier, and 22 off is better IMO; it will help to keep you narrower. 22 may seem a bit fast at first so you may need to slow your speed down, but I believe it is a great length to free ski at. The only way to know exactly how far to go out is to ski a course, but a ball park is about a 45 degree angle from the boat. If you want to get really technical, than go out 37'8" from the center of the wake (good luck with that one)!!!

08-09-2005, 04:59 PM
Yes, I am skiing at 60 ft rope. (15 off). I was wondering if rope length would help, but thought the problem was ME, and not the rope :o . but hey, that sounds good. I will try a shorter rope, and slow the boat up a bit. so just shorten the rope one more color then? just one more section of rope lenght? is that correct way to run at 22 off?

I will try that. any other suggestions??

jamisonsbrodie
08-09-2005, 05:26 PM
Yes, just one more section (orange). A shorter rope won't solve your problem, but it might help. You will still have to work on technique to cure it. Just try keeping those elbows in! As soon as you make your turn, and bring your dropped hand back to the handle, pull your elbows in and hold them there through the wake until you set up for your next turn. The Drew Ross video talks about it a lot. It is a little quirky, but if you watch it enough times, and in slow motion as well, there are things that everyone can pick up from it. IMO

08-09-2005, 06:39 PM
Cool, I understand it wont solve my issue and make up for my lack of technique. but maybe it can help a bit. I am going to make strong mental notes of all the helping hints you people offered and work on MY problem style. Hey, you people helped me start on one, I am sure you can help me improve my technique too. :)

Thanks!
:D

I think I am going to remove my wing on the ski fin too. since I just open water ski. That was a suggestion too. sound good?

Cloaked
08-09-2005, 06:49 PM
There are several good tips here. To directly answer your question, technique aside, slack in your line at this intermediate level of skiing is that you are pulling to long. Pull through the second wake. Here lies a key factor. You should already be on edge through both wakes. Stop pulling after the second wake and change edges in one transition. This will eliminate slack. The rest of the cyclic technique is subjective to other factors.

As a visual point of mental reference. you should be completing your turn at the ball. Anything otherwise is putting you late.

Leave the fin on. It helps slow the ski as you dampen with your front foot weight distribution when entering a turn. You'll appreciate the fin when you're running late on your weak side. It will help you catch up by getting you through the turn and not slipping the rear of the ski into a spill...

Good thread here. You guys have been doing your homework... ;)

6ballsisall
08-09-2005, 07:08 PM
Best way to tell how to judge distance from swerve to swerve is get in a course. Run it a dozen times or so and really focus on the view of the boat that you see as you come up on each buoy. After you do that a while knowing your distances will be pretty easy. Last tip, Flat ski thru either wake= bad. Edge thru the wake and release right on or after the 2nd wake. Of course when you are running deep shortline all the rules change :D

Cloaked
08-09-2005, 07:54 PM
.....Last tip, Flat ski thru either wake= bad. ..True dat!

Once executing a technique to maneuver a course (or a pretend course on open h2O), other than the edge change transition, you should never find a time to be flat.

The best practice of what you read and practice is mental skiing when not on the water. Picture your run, step by step.

I'm done spouting off now.. Enjoy and have fun. The rest will come easy....

Now, about that barefoot lesson?? :D

08-09-2005, 09:12 PM
I wanted to get out and try these ideas tonite on the lake, but I couldnt get a spotter....... :( I had to waste a perfect glass lake. I tried like over 10 people. I was on the phone for almost an hour and nobody would go for a boat ride. What is the world coming to??? To lazy to go for a boat ride? I mean come on people! :mad: :rant:

man does this burn my A$$!!!!

UUUUUUGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!! I am SO p****** OFF!!!!!

This is gonna ruin my entire evening. I need to whack myself over the head withsomething heavy to knock me out. :uglyhamme

erkoehler
08-09-2005, 09:44 PM
It always works that way.....every body always says they want to go out on the boat and hangout/ski, but when you make that call everyone is too busy!

I even had someone tell me it was to cold! The weather had been 95's, but the day I wanted them to come it was only mid 70's. *** :mad:

MarkP
08-09-2005, 10:04 PM
You need to try to put together a crew of three reliable chaps including yourself and use the rest as backup.. Boy I got lucky two weeks after picking up my boat the crew was just waiting for me at the gas station..

John B
08-09-2005, 10:19 PM
I have a different crew for each weekday.
Everybody knows their day, and I don't have to call them.
They just show up at the ramp in the morning.
We ski for about two hours and go to work. :D

BriEOD
08-09-2005, 10:22 PM
You need to try to put together a crew of three reliable chaps including yourself and use the rest as backup.. Boy I got lucky two weeks after picking up my boat the crew was just waiting for me at the gas station..

Yeah, yeah...show off. :purplaugh

Cloaked
08-09-2005, 10:24 PM
TN doesn't require a spotter. I have problems finding a driver since my buddy got married... That's whack!!

08-10-2005, 09:54 AM
I am better today, but man that is SOOOO frustrating when you can find a spotter. People just are lame. :mad:

shepherd
08-10-2005, 11:46 AM
There are several good tips here. To directly answer your question, technique aside, slack in your line at this intermediate level of skiing is that you are pulling to long. Pull through the second wake. Here lies a key factor. You should already be on edge through both wakes. Stop pulling after the second wake and change edges in one transition. This will eliminate slack. The rest of the cyclic technique is subjective to other factors.

As a visual point of mental reference. you should be completing your turn at the ball. Anything otherwise is putting you late.

Leave the fin on. It helps slow the ski as you dampen with your front foot weight distribution when entering a turn. You'll appreciate the fin when you're running late on your weak side. It will help you catch up by getting you through the turn and not slipping the rear of the ski into a spill...

Good thread here. You guys have been doing your homework... ;)

Just to repeat what the others said, pull through BOTH wakes (don't let up!) and don't pull too far after the second wake. Also, correct me if I'm wrong people, but I think the fin helps. It may be possible that your ski isn't slowing down for the turn quick enough, forcing you to go too far out and down course. Try lowering the nose of the fin (angling it down) which should give it more "bite" and help you slam on the brakes and whip the ski around.
Just an intermediate level guy's take... :cool:

Also, a day at ski school would be invaluable. A good instructor will definitely fix your problem.

shepherd
08-10-2005, 11:47 AM
I wanted to get out and try these ideas tonite on the lake, but I couldnt get a spotter....... :( I had to waste a perfect glass lake. I tried like over 10 people. I was on the phone for almost an hour and nobody would go for a boat ride. What is the world coming to??? To lazy to go for a boat ride? I mean come on people! :mad: :rant:

man does this burn my A$$!!!!

UUUUUUGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!! I am SO p****** OFF!!!!!

Next time, buy me a ticket and I'll be there in, oh.... 24 hours ;)

08-10-2005, 12:07 PM
thanks to all! :) I am going to ski school for a day soon. I have it all set.

I will try to work on the concepts everyone advised me of too before then. I hope to try them out on my new Vengeance this weekend.