PDA

View Full Version : Replacement Trailer Axles

Stutsman230
01-18-2012, 10:54 PM
Anyone having problems finding replacement axles for 2002 Mastercraft trailer? The trailer has UFP torsion suspension and axles. The boat is a 2002 230VRS Maristar.

76S&S
01-19-2012, 09:31 AM
There is a known issue with the axles on the 02 trailers. My dealer ordered me a new one at a discounted rate two years ago. They aren't difficult to swap out.

Stutsman230
01-19-2012, 11:23 AM
It seems they aren't being used in new designs or haven't been manufactured for a while. They quoted my dealer a 4 to 5 week leadtime. My front axle was replaced a few years ago by the previous owner and it is showing signs of failure- the tire is rubbing on the inside of the fender. My plan is to replace front and rear axles. The trailer sits very low to the ground and the prop guard drags on some speed bumps. I am going to set the arms to their lowest position- 42 degrees below centerline of the axle (maximum allowed) to gain ground clearance.

76S&S
01-20-2012, 03:05 PM
I don't recall the time it took to get, but it wasn't horrible. I have torflex axles on an enclosed trailer and have already had to replace both of them. Let's just say I'm not a fan of the torflex these days!

Bob B
01-20-2012, 04:13 PM
I have a 197 ProStar—2002.
Replaced axle in 2009, ordered replacement from Mfg.-UFP- ($628. Tax, shipping)
Had it dropped shipped to a local trailer shop and they installed it for $120.

Stutsman230
02-18-2012, 12:58 AM
I was able to get the replacement axles. It took 3 weeks to have them fabricated and shipped to Phoenix. They were sourced from UFP. The cost was $1500 which included shipping the axles, arms, disk rotors, calipers and "hybrid" hubs. The dealer is installing them this week. I'm excited to get this finished so I can get back on the lake in March. I guess I can't complain too loudly as they worked for 10 years. I will be too old to hydrofoil or ski when they wear out so I'm probably set for life. Conventional leaf spring axles would never had needed to be replaced unless a bearing had spun!