PDA

View Full Version : 2000 205v upholstery

sheckski
01-18-2012, 07:23 PM
I am one of the unfortunates who purchased a mastercraft with the really awful upholstery. Mastercraft felt guilty enough to send me new skins but these also did not last as expected. I am now faced with recovering the entire boat and would like to do it once and do it right. if possible I would like the new mastercraft fabric. Does anyone know if mastercraft is making this available to their legacy customers and/or if it ( or similar ) is available aftermarket? Also, i gather mastercraft n longer makes these skins. Does anyone know if they are making the drawings available?

Thanks for any and all guidance.

mwg
01-18-2012, 11:10 PM
I don't know if the new materials were first used but you could try skins from a late model X1.. Same layout as a 205v

JRW160
01-19-2012, 08:08 AM
The new x1 layout should be the same except for the sundeck. I think 2000 was the last year of the one piece sundeck. When I inquired about new skins, my dealer said they needed a hull id number to order them. I guess you need to find a boat with the interior you want and them get the hull id number off of it. You will probably have to get a custom shop to make the sundeck cover to match.

sheckski
01-20-2012, 09:56 AM
Sundeck is indeed one piece. i don't mind organizing some custom work. i am actually afraid to go with x1 skins because the vinyl was so poor. i do not know if it improved for the x1. does anyone know if the x1 used a higher grade vinyl?

02ProstarSammyD
01-20-2012, 10:34 AM
Not to gank this thread but isn't it 7 years for skins? anyone know if the last year model 209;s layout matches the 02?

JRW160
01-20-2012, 04:00 PM
When I talked to my dealer last summer, they were unsure if they could still get 2006 skins, but were confident they could order 2007 skins.

JRW160
01-20-2012, 04:03 PM
Sundeck is indeed one piece. i don't mind organizing some custom work. i am actually afraid to go with x1 skins because the vinyl was so poor. i do not know if it improved for the x1. does anyone know if the x1 used a higher grade vinyl?

The newer vinyl is a lot better. I would not hesitate to order the new stuff if price was no issue. I can't afford to replace everything, so I am just getting a local shop to match the old stuff aa needed.

wrobins1
01-20-2012, 04:14 PM
The newer vinyl is a lot better. I would not hesitate to order the new stuff if price was no issue. I can't afford to replace everything, so I am just getting a local shop to match the old stuff aa needed.

So.... Where could a person find this new type of vinyl by the yard or even if it is available to the public? I had heard that it was patented by Mastercraft but I cannot remember where I saw that.

JRW160
01-20-2012, 04:16 PM
I saw a thread on here where a guy was redoing his own in the newer carbon fiber looking stuff. I'll have to try to find that thread when I have some time tonight

JRW160
01-20-2012, 06:37 PM
Here's the thread and the link where the guy said he ordered the vinyl.
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=42794&highlight=carbon+vinyl&page=3
http://www.yourautotrim.com/grandcayman.html
http://www.yourautotrim.com/naskcfivi.html

jasonba1
01-21-2012, 08:16 AM
viper uses all the new carbon fiber material on my boat id call him 865-388-4096

atlfootr
01-25-2012, 08:58 PM

sheckski
02-18-2012, 08:20 PM
Tried reaching Jim but no return call. I pulled off everything and sending it to viper. I think this will work better as cushions will be professionally recovered instead of just shipping skins. Also converting single hatch to three way and pilot seat to bolster.

jasonba1
02-20-2012, 08:26 AM
nice cant wait to see it

sheckski
02-20-2012, 12:04 PM
I should add that Viper is going to use the new MC carbon fiber style vinyl.

sheckski
03-19-2012, 03:04 PM
We actually went with carbon fiber white for the base. We were going to use carbon fiber dove but we went to our Mastercraft dealer to view it in a boat. it was surprisingly yellow ( to us) when it was covering a large area. We are using Silvertex black and taupe for the trim. The silvertex has an almost canvas like feel to it. i am posting pictures of the before and with the cushions removed. The after will be posted once we get back the cushions from Viper. With respect to the 'raw" boat, I would suggest looking at the hangers for the three bow cushions. Had i known these were there, it would have made the removal of those cushions easier. i am not sure if this pattern is repeated on other MC, but certainly any 205 will have the same.

utbubbad
03-21-2012, 06:00 AM
My 01 needs new skin also. Where is viper located and what was his turn around time.

sheckski
03-21-2012, 08:00 AM
Viper is in Tn. I am in Ct so I actually crated everything up and shipped it down to them via an LTL carrier. Turn around is projected at 3 weeks, but we will see as they still have them.You can find them at http://vipercustoms.com/ and on facebook as viper customs. Also this media album shows a 99 205v getting a bench seat and conversion of the hatch to three way http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.500645459157.278811.195507769157&type=3

sheckski
04-24-2012, 10:10 AM
Finally have some completed cushions. Used all Mastercraft fabrics. carbon fiber white, silvertex taupe and silvertex black. the silvertex has a canvas like feel to it, the carbon fiber a very tough, almost slippery feel. together they feel very solid and 'premium". Still waiting for all pannels and new 3 way rear deck pieces. expect i will be installing next weekend and will post finished pics ( boat is also compounded and waxed - should look great although still dated with gen 1 tower ).

sheckski
04-24-2012, 10:11 AM
some pictures of the completed cushions, not yet installed http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?p=832851#post832851

jasonba1
04-24-2012, 11:34 AM
its looking really good

JimN
04-24-2012, 12:10 PM
I am one of the unfortunates who purchased a mastercraft with the really awful upholstery. Mastercraft felt guilty enough to send me new skins but these also did not last as expected. I am now faced with recovering the entire boat and would like to do it once and do it right. if possible I would like the new mastercraft fabric. Does anyone know if mastercraft is making this available to their legacy customers and/or if it ( or similar ) is available aftermarket? Also, i gather mastercraft n longer makes these skins. Does anyone know if they are making the drawings available?

Thanks for any and all guidance.

It's not Mastercraft material- they buy it from a supplier, just like everyone else and that's why all of the manufacturers whose customers had to suffer with the bad material were in the same position.

Contact MC and find out who makes it, then spec it through the upholsterer.

sheckski
04-24-2012, 01:06 PM
Yes. I understand MC buys it and in fact I sourced it through my upholsterer ( Viper customs). They do advise however that the Silvertec is only available via MC. With respect to all "manufacturers suffering" from the same materials, I am somewhat unsympathetic. These are premium boats at a premium price. We essentially pay the manufacturers to vet their subs for quality. My fabric did not last 2 seasons without showing issues. I then was given new ( horizontal ) skins but had to pay to have them installed. The new skins never fit like factory originals and then also quickly developed issues. Stuff can happen but at this level of boat and expectations, I think buyers were entitled to a higher level of support for a defective product. My .02 .At this point I am just thrilled at the prospect of having a restored interior that I think I can be confident in. Crossing my fingers but cautiously optimistic.

jamisonsbrodie
04-24-2012, 01:46 PM
It's not Mastercraft material- they buy it from a supplier, just like everyone else and that's why all of the manufacturers whose customers had to suffer with the bad material were in the same position.

Contact MC and find out who makes it, then spec it through the upholsterer.

I would argue this fact also, as I do not believe Malibu or Nautique upholstery suffered at all compared to MC, at least based on my own 2000 Malibu, and various 2000-2003 Malibus and Nautiques that my friends own, all of which have near perfect vinyl still.

atlfootr
04-24-2012, 02:35 PM
Sheckski,

Curious to know what roughly were your final costs for re-upholstery?

sheckski
04-24-2012, 03:51 PM
For cost info please contact Jim Jackson at Viper customs at 865 388 4096 . The were extreamly reasonable with me. So far very satisfied. I will update once everything is shipped and installed as we still have a long way to go.

sheckski
05-08-2012, 12:56 PM
ok. They are all done and so far look outstanding. I am attaching some select pics. They are still in TN but i hope to have them in time for the re install this weekend. Completed pictures will be posted next.Kudos to Viper in TN

Ski-me
05-08-2012, 01:09 PM
Wow, can't wait to see it installed! Looks very nice......

And I totally understand your frustration on the material durability on your original interior. All I can say is that it definitely had an impact on selecting a new boat for my sister-in-law last year. I had major concerns that she would most likely have to deal with the interior in the next few years. For this reason, she bought a Cobalt of the same era (1999).

I'm much more confident (and it shows) in my 94' interior vs the 2000 interior. Mine is still going strong.

jasonba1
05-08-2012, 04:31 PM
I happened to be out at viper yesterday and saw your interior it looks amazing , great choice in colors

curtish
05-09-2012, 12:28 AM
Would love to see the completed pictures. That carbon fiber material looks trick.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2

sheckski
05-09-2012, 10:53 AM
Thanks Jason.We agonized for a while about the choices but, based on the pics we have seen so far, we are going to be real happy. Since the attach to my post did not work I have resized and am trying again. Reminder that the rear deck started life as a one piece unit.

Ski-me
05-09-2012, 11:10 AM
Just looks amazing!! And it also looks like they did an excellent job as well. Nice and tight.....

jamisonsbrodie
05-09-2012, 11:18 AM
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is really impressive. Your boat is going to look brand new. This changes my outlook on buying an early 00's 205v/x2 now knowing that I can get that upholstery. I can't wait to see the installed pics.

RustyMC
05-09-2012, 11:18 AM
Will 2nd that - very nice work. I too have a 2000 205V with same interior. Question (and I may have missed this). How did you go to a 3 piece platform for the rear? Mine is the single large ledge style.

sheckski
05-09-2012, 11:36 AM
Rusty. Measured twice and cut once....Used a circular saw to cut the honeycomb and then cut the foam / vinyl with a blade. Viper then covered it and it looks like they did an outstanding job. The center piece will go back on using the existing hardware plus a reach under latch and a gas shock that I will install. The sides will be hinged on the long outside ends, again with gas shocks. the dividers will be beefed up a bit with a plastic beam to give the components more "meat" to rest on when closed. I will post full pics once completed. meanwhile this is a close up pic of the hinge / gas shock that was used in a similar conversion

RustyMC
05-09-2012, 11:39 AM
Thanks for the info. Looking forward to the finished pics. I am going to replace the upholstery in mine at some point as well and I like what I see. Will give the Viper folks a hard look since I am just down the interstate from them.

sheckski
05-09-2012, 11:53 AM
They were slow with me, but that seemed to be more a function of the availability of my vinyl choices.They were very fair on price, had access to everything I wanted and - as far as I can tell - have done some of the best aftermarket work that I have ever seen. My job was a bit of a bear because i had to remove the bolsters myself. It is definitely not fun and my learning process can be seen at this link http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=45579 . I also had to package / ship my cushions. If they are just down the road from you I would definitely give them a real hard look with maybe having them do a turn key job.

mwg
05-09-2012, 12:09 PM
Beautiful work.. can't wait to see the install pics

sheckski
05-14-2012, 10:23 AM
Made some progress this weekend but ran out of hardware. Installed the rear decks, stern bolsters and the associated cushions. i need to get the gas shocks, latches, additional bolster studs and seat hardware before we can finish up. i actually took out the boat with a folding captains chair for our first run this weekend. that was quite the look. In any case, I am posting BEFORE pictures so the thread is complete. I will follow up with another post with some intermediate after pictures.

sheckski
05-14-2012, 10:26 AM
Followed by the install completed so far

LaRue
05-14-2012, 10:30 AM
Looks great. At least you know it was time for recovering.

sheckski
05-14-2012, 10:33 AM
yes. We were past due for sure.

jasonba1
05-14-2012, 10:54 AM
man that looks great ....great choice in colors ...everyone should see it in person it just turned out awesome

jasonba1
05-14-2012, 10:55 AM
love the split sunpad

sheckski
05-14-2012, 11:01 AM
Thanks Jason. Split sunpad is amazing. In past if someone was on the platform we had to raise the deck in their face if we needed to get to storage. Now the rider / skier can get their board or ski , soap or line, while standing on the platform. it really dramatically changes the usability of the boat. I still need to install the gas shocks, latches and some additional support. All of those parts are in transit. On a related note, I want to install netting on the underside of the two hatches, if anyone knows a source.

jasonba1
05-14-2012, 02:23 PM
great job to you and viper customs

lump-dog
05-15-2012, 03:36 PM
What did you use for hinges and latches on your 2 new hatches? I'm in the process of doing this very same thing to the sun deck on my 2000 205v....

LaRue
05-15-2012, 04:17 PM
Rusty. Measured twice and cut once....Used a circular saw to cut the honeycomb and then cut the foam / vinyl with a blade. Viper then covered it and it looks like they did an outstanding job. The center piece will go back on using the existing hardware plus a reach under latch and a gas shock that I will install. The sides will be hinged on the long outside ends, again with gas shocks. the dividers will be beefed up a bit with a plastic beam to give the components more "meat" to rest on when closed. I will post full pics once completed. meanwhile this is a close up pic of the hinge / gas shock that was used in a similar conversion

i believe many of us would appreciate you providing a list of materials and walk through instructions for this. I would like to do the same thing, as others have commented but am hesitant on how or beginning a project that is more work and $$ than it is worth.

sheckski
05-17-2012, 02:01 PM
I will post close ups on all hardware once completed. I am sourcing everything from Viper so i do not have individual part numbers. With that said, I used the original aluminum honeycomb deck and cut it. Viper recovered as part of the total project, recovering three small pieces instead of one large one. hardware required :
Two hinges
three gas shocks
center latch

not a big list at all but some parts are still not in my hands so i can not finish. Once finished I will post again.

swatguy
05-17-2012, 05:37 PM
Absolutely awesome looking. Love it. I am very interested in how the # piece hatch was done as well. If only I would have came across this before feb when I had my boat redone locally. I would still chop up the new vinyl for a 3 piece hatch........

PM Inbound

redraider08
05-25-2012, 01:00 PM
That is looking great! I just bought a 2000 X-star and will have to keep this thread in mind when i need new skins!

sheckski
05-28-2012, 01:10 PM
Project is done. Final pics to follow with a few comments explanations:
1) I used a pvc trim from the home depot to provide additional support on the outer two hatches plus create a platform for the male portion of the engine hatch cover
2) Viper pre installed the receivers for the gas shocks. These worked well on the outer two hatches, although you can see a slight difference in how far they allow each hatch to open. The engine hatch was just plain wrong with the gas shock supplied ( same size as the outer two ). i tried using a larger shock but there was too much pressure PLUS it hit the exhaust manifold when closed. Made a bit of a mess on that hatch as a result.

sheckski
05-28-2012, 01:14 PM
last 4 pics

sheckski
05-29-2012, 10:10 AM
in response to pm questions about how we shipped our interior : We used some custom pallets and made a crate on top. Then shipped LTL. Viper has a fork, as fortunately so do we. Could have gone smaller on the crate but you get the idea.

RustyMC
05-29-2012, 10:17 AM
Beautiful work and nice job all the way around. This will be the template for my remodel at some point. Mostly want the 3 piece deck!

sheckski
05-31-2012, 09:28 AM
Update. Nets purchased from Amazon for 18 bucks each

swatguy
06-05-2012, 11:15 PM
Looks like you just bolted the center hatch shocks to the original dividers is that correct?

No extra support was done besides that pvc strip to the original divider? to support the outside hatch at rest? Really curious what they did to reinforce the divider if anything. Thats the one part I can't figure out to tackle to do it to mine.

sheckski
06-06-2012, 07:47 AM
1) center hatch gas shock bolted to the non removable portion of the port engine dividers
2) There is original support from the fiberglass structure at both fore and aft portions of the side hatches. The center hatch is obviously secured using original hinges and rests well ( given how I cut it ) on the dividers at the forward section., This just left support in the middle section for the side hatches.
3) For the most part the hatches are not using any support. They only come to rest on the additional support when someone walks in certain areas. In this case the side hatches move very slightly and come to rest against the pvc trim. The trim is the only ADDITIONAL support but it is working as intended and in my opinion can be recommended as sufficient.
4) Viper had talked about "plastic strips" on top of the dividers, like a T molding. I never saw these as they were not sent to me but certainly another option.

mmoffitt
06-11-2012, 10:18 AM
I have a 2000 and was looking for info on converting, thank you for posting.

Where did you get the hinges for the sides?

What kind of blade did you use on the circular saw to cut the the engine cover?

Are going to add any additional suports?

sheckski
06-11-2012, 10:34 AM
most of this is in the thread
1) hinges were installed on the side hatches by viper. I got them back that way. i then drilled and bolted into the Fiberglas.
2) i used a ryobi 18 v cordless circular saw with standard blade. it was very easy to cut and i do not believe blade is critical
3) Additional supports were added. I used PVC trim. This is reviewed in the thread along with images.

dvsone79
12-18-2012, 01:44 PM
Nice work, sheckski! I'm getting Viper to convert the one-piece sun-deck on my '99 PS 205V into the 3 piece. I'm going to have them use this as a point of reference. That will make overall use of the boat so much better!