PDA

View Full Version : Sinking ship

mramerman@gmail.com
01-18-2012, 02:14 PM
Interesting satellite view.

Double D
01-18-2012, 02:25 PM
Very interesting. How did you find something like that?

strad
01-18-2012, 03:25 PM
The captain is an idiot. You wouldn't even have to know the story to be able to tell that from the picture. His exchange with the on-scene Coast Guard commander, as printed on the front page of the WSJ, is but further proof.

kgrove
01-18-2012, 03:31 PM
I don't think that photo is good evidence of the Captain's idiocy (though from the coast guard radio exchange you won't have to look far). From what I read, they piloted the boat closer to shore and shallow water after realizing the extent of the problem. I dont think that's where the ship first ran aground.

willyt
01-18-2012, 05:09 PM
It's really too bad anyone was keeled in the accident... I'm surprised they havent put out a listing of the missing yet.

JBrew
01-18-2012, 05:21 PM

Second that... how did you find this? Are you some kind of spy :)

mramerman@gmail.com
01-19-2012, 12:39 AM

Satellite image on another Blog a follow - "Sailing Anarchy." For sailors who race.

snork
01-19-2012, 10:20 AM
Reports indicate he clipped a reef further out while navigating north then turned the ship west and south intending to run her aground near the island. Just think if the was a few more yards closer to the island the ship may not list

Poulin
01-19-2012, 11:26 AM
Check out these photo's.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/gavon/33-jaw-dropping-photos-of-the-costa-concordia-disa

mramerman@gmail.com
01-19-2012, 12:18 PM
Check out these photo's.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/gavon/33-jaw-dropping-photos-of-the-costa-concordia-disa

Wow. Amazing.

scott023
01-19-2012, 12:18 PM
Those are some amazing pics.

Double D
01-19-2012, 12:52 PM
And we were actually planning to take a cruise in March per my pushing. Now I have three people pushing back saying; NO F'N WAY! :D

rjracin240
01-19-2012, 01:07 PM
It's really too bad anyone was keeled in the accident... I'm surprised they havent put out a listing of the missing yet.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

And we were actually planning to take a cruise in March per my pushing. Now I have three people pushing back saying; NO F'N WAY! :D

Heard there are some good prices on tickets right now hopefully you havent bought your tickets.

Not sure why all those people were so bent on abandoning ship, obviously it has not sunk, think I would have hung around the dining area or bar and watched the show while munching and drinking!

scott023
01-19-2012, 01:14 PM
:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Heard there are some good prices on tickets right now hopefully you havent bought your tickets.

Not sure why all those people were so bent on abandoning ship, obviously it has not sunk, think I would have hung around the dining area or bar and watched the show while munching and drinking!

:uglyhamme:uglyhamme:uglyhamme:uglyhamme:uglyhamme

More jumbo shrimps for me.

MIskier
01-19-2012, 01:19 PM
Check out these photo's.

Picture 26 clearly shows the damage to the port side of the hull.

03 35th Anniversary
01-19-2012, 03:04 PM
Wonder what their gonna do with that ship.

I know if it were in deep enough water it would just be left at the bottom. But they can't just leave this one where it sits.

Sodar
01-19-2012, 03:17 PM
Reports are coming out that the captain was with a 25 yr old female "guest" when the ship hit bottom. No one knows how she got on the ship, because she is not on any of the registries.

Sounds like the captain was using the motion of the ocean

captain planet
01-19-2012, 03:19 PM

I know if it were in deep enough water it would just be left at the bottom. But they can't just leave this one where it sits.

I heard something about there is concern for the diesel fuel that is on board. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 50K gallons, maybe Im missing a zero?

captain planet
01-19-2012, 03:23 PM
Just looked it up, there is 2400 tons of fuel on board....which if my math is correct that is around 800K of fuel. I was missing a zero.

MIskier
01-19-2012, 03:32 PM

There will be a salvage contract to refloat the vessel. The company that I am currently interning for in New Orleans is putting in a bid to do some of the salvage engineering work on it. It will be very interesting to see if they do indeed end up getting the contract.

scott023
01-19-2012, 03:56 PM
Reports are coming out that the captain was with a 25 yr old female "guest" when the ship hit bottom. No one knows how she got on the ship, because she is not on any of the registries.

Sounds like the captain was using the motion of the ocean

You've got to be kidding. :confused:

scott023
01-19-2012, 03:57 PM
I heard something about there is concern for the diesel fuel that is on board. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 50K gallons, maybe Im missing a zero?

Reports I've read said 500K.

kgrove
01-19-2012, 03:58 PM
I'm figuring there will be a good SNL skit this weekend. A ships captain wining and dining a 25 yr old girl, "tripping" into the lifeboat and being unable to get back on board to see to passenger safety, and denying all of it though much is on tape... Too easy to make fun of his grace under pressure. My guess is he doesn't get a second date with the 25 yr old hottie. She's probably not impressed. I wonder if she made the lifeboat before or after he tripped into the lifeboat himself.

Table Rocker
01-19-2012, 04:44 PM
You've got to be kidding. :confused:

Nope, here she is:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/italy/9026359/Costa-Concordia-mystery-of-blonde-on-the-bridge-of-doomed-liner.html

GT500 MC
01-19-2012, 07:32 PM
Nope, here she is:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/italy/9026359/Costa-Concordia-mystery-of-blonde-on-the-bridge-of-doomed-liner.html

Before I pass judgement, I will first need to see her in the swimsuit thread.:D

scott023
01-20-2012, 10:30 AM
Nope, here she is:

Well, he's in deeper than his ship is, that's for sure.