PDA

View Full Version : iPhone App Thread

jdl xstar
01-17-2012, 03:41 PM
I recently got an iphone and have been trying to find useful apps so I can get the most out of this little computer, err, phone. So I'm hearing there are more than 500K apps out there so finding many of the less popular ones is difficult. If anyone has come across a unique or particularly cool app, please share so we can all check it out!

I have about a dozen now but some cool ones I've come across:

Shazam- if you hear a song on radio or anywhere, it will recognize it and download from itunes if you want.

Great White Expedition - just read about this on cnn.com. Tracks tagged great whites in real time all over the world. (costs 4 bucks though)

Allsnow - for snow sports and will track your speed, distance, elevation changes, etc on the slopes. Looking forward to using this one.

Double D
01-17-2012, 03:56 PM
TapaTalk. Allows me to interact with this and other forums.
Yahoo Sportstacular. Scores, stats, favorites, etc.
Redbox, pizza hut, Dominos. Order movies and food
Drinks and Drinks Free. All mixed drinks.
Kindle. Reading
iScore Baseball or Basketball. If you like to score a game or have a kid who plays. Simply awesome!

Sent from Never Neverland using my iPhone 4 on Tapatalk

russlars
01-17-2012, 04:01 PM
I really like Measures-unit and currency converter from Neuwert which will convert all types of measures, weights, currency, temperatures, clothing sizes and just about anything else you can imagine. Currency updates occur automatically.

Covi
01-17-2012, 06:04 PM
+1 for shazam
Dragon search
Boat Ramps
clinometer
flick fishing
pac man
supercross

SkiDog
01-17-2012, 08:44 PM
MyCast Weather. None better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

epnault
01-17-2012, 08:56 PM
Pandora

I use this in the boat all the time. So good I cancelled my satellite radio.

Willski
01-18-2012, 01:06 AM
Definitely need to get one of the apps that uses the led flash for a flashlight. I use it quite a bit. Very handy. I also use the United and American Airlines apps. A couple of good time killers are angry birds and Temple Run!

kgrove
01-18-2012, 03:24 PM
Yelp - great for finding new restaraunts, especially helpful while traveling
IMDB - (Internet movie database) answering those oddball movie or tv trivia questions
ESPN - sports scores
Flixster - Movie reviews and times
HBO Go - stream HBO movies and shows free to HBO subscribers
Run keeper - tracks jogging
IPhone Finder - Apples app to locate a lost or stolen iPhone (saved me once)
Flashlight - great utility to use the led as a flash or even an SOS beacon

Add to that company specific apps, especially whatever banks and airlines you personally do business with.

I don't have a specific ap name to give you, but I'd also look for a good GPS app. I know there are a couple that track speed - great for checking the calibration of your boat or car speedometer. I know there are some free ones that work fine for just speed, but don't have full blown navigation capabilities.

JimN
01-18-2012, 04:09 PM
I recently got an iphone and have been trying to find useful apps so I can get the most out of this little computer, err, phone. So I'm hearing there are more than 500K apps out there so finding many of the less popular ones is difficult. If anyone has come across a unique or particularly cool app, please share so we can all check it out!

I have about a dozen now but some cool ones I've come across:

Shazam- if you hear a song on radio or anywhere, it will recognize it and download from itunes if you want.

Great White Expedition - just read about this on cnn.com. Tracks tagged great whites in real time all over the world. (costs 4 bucks though)

Allsnow - for snow sports and will track your speed, distance, elevation changes, etc on the slopes. Looking forward to using this one.

If you have a Roku, they have an app. If you have a Denon, Pioneer, Onkyo, Yamaha or Integra AV receiver, you can control it with an i-Device. They have apps for DirecTV, Time Warner and all kinds of A/V equipment, as well as security camera DVRs. Pandora is good, Slacker is alright.

jdl xstar
01-18-2012, 06:33 PM
Those are some great app suggestions. I like the yahoo sports app and think its indeed superior to ESPN scorecenter...

Can't wait to use a gps speed app on the boat. Have never known the exact speed since I have a paddle wheel gauge.

jonboy688
01-18-2012, 10:48 PM
Navionics is a great gps and maps of lakes and ocean

Tap talk is a must
eBay
PayPal
Craigslist

There are a ton forsure

Barefooter92
01-19-2012, 08:33 AM
Hello Boys...dont forget MASTERCRAFT 2011

Yes; they do have an app it is not the best but you must be loyal and install it on your unit.

Also try RadarSkis
and Trick Guru

for any ski and wakeboard apps.

Again just for the cool factor and to support our trade!

hondaprlud
01-19-2012, 06:15 PM
keyring, you scan your store shopping cards and no longer need to carry them, it does my library card too
BlueDriver- I just got this one, You buy their OBD2 Bluetooth transistor and you can use your phone to scan/ clear check engine lights on cars. works pretty well but it was $40 for the part (app was free)

shepherd
01-20-2012, 01:21 PM
Waiting for the "Zero Off" app that I can plug directly into my boat's motor. :cool:

shepherd
01-20-2012, 01:24 PM
"Talking Translator" is a good one for travelers. You can speak English into the phone and it will translate into your selected language audibly and in text.

BrooksfamX2
01-20-2012, 02:06 PM
Action Movie FX - free - adds explosion and missle attack affects to your short video, stupid fun.
Photosynth - free from MS - Lets you make a 360 degree interactive picture by stiching multiple pictures together.

BoatersRef - almost everything you wanted to know about boats
iHandy Level - turns your devise into a bubble or digital level
Measures - converts measurement units
Flixster - watch movie trailers and see release dates
Netflix - stream movies and TV shows
Drink Pro - always good to have 20,000 drink recipes in your pocket
Tapatalk - easier log in and forum use

And so many more............