PDA

View Full Version : Blistered Hull!

CruisinGA
01-17-2012, 10:44 AM
We have a '02 X9 that sits on a 2 yr old Shoremaster hydro hoist March- November. Boat gets heavy weekend use, ~150 hrs a season.

This year, when I pulled the boat to winterized and put in indoor storage, I notice awful blistering of the hull in the exact area where the bunks of the lift touch the hull. You could trace out the bunk 2x6's on the hull it is so badly blistered.

Our boat sees very typical use, is stored on a very common lift and yet has this very atypical blistering! Is this a hull warranty issue? Is this more common than I think it is?

ttu
01-17-2012, 10:51 AM
We have a '02 X9 that sits on a 2 yr old Shoremaster hydro hoist March- November. Boat gets heavy weekend use, ~150 hrs a season.

This year, when I pulled the boat to winterized and put in indoor storage, I notice awful blistering of the hull in the exact area where the bunks of the lift touch the hull. You could trace out the bunk 2x6's on the hull it is so badly blistered.

Our boat sees very typical use, is stored on a very common lift and yet has this very atypical blistering! Is this a hull warranty issue? Is this more common than I think it is?

i cannot give you a answer on the warranty issue, but when i had my 05 supra ssv22 i had the same thing happen twice. never put the boat on a boat lift and never left the boat overnight in the water except maybe for 4 days on vacation. i also got the blisters exactley where the boat sat on the trailer bunks. mine was repaired both times under warranty but that was back in 05 and 06 so the boat was only a couple years old.

needless to say after the second repairs i sold the boat.

JohnE
01-17-2012, 01:05 PM

Osmotic blistering will not be covered under the hull warranty most likely. It is discussed in the owners manuals. It has been known to happen and apparently the older gels did not have as much barrier as the newer gels. Sorry to read that this has happened to you.

east tx skier
01-17-2012, 01:13 PM
Did you every spray anything on your lift bunks? Silicone based products that contact the hull can cause the water to become trapped against the hull.

JohnE
01-17-2012, 01:17 PM
Good point Doug. I remember #1 saying that happened to him years ago.

ttu
01-17-2012, 01:18 PM
Did you every spray anything on your lift bunks? Silicone based products that contact the hull can cause the water to become trapped against the hull.

Doug, is liquid rollers silicone based?

JohnE
01-17-2012, 01:20 PM
Doug, is liquid rollers silicone based?

I don't think so. I use carnuba spray wax on my trailer bunks.

(I know, I'm not Doug)

CruisinGA
01-17-2012, 01:53 PM
Have never put anything on the lift or trailer bunks. Trailer is only used for winter indoor storage.

east tx skier
01-17-2012, 11:37 PM
John's right. I don't think it has silicone. I think 303 may have it though. Carnuba spray wax works just fine.

gts-20
01-18-2012, 01:19 PM
We had this same problem at the end of this past summer with our '08 PS214. We keep the boat at the lake on the trailer in a dry storage , so the boat gets wiped down and put back in its stall, with the trailer bunks still wet. We noticed blisters had formed exactly where the rear trailer bunks touched the hull. Our MC dealer was able to get the repair covered under warranty. The repair came out great, but trying to get all the gelcoat overspray off of the boat and trailer is killing me.