PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Tower Rack T-Handle

obsessed
01-17-2012, 04:48 AM
Does anyone know how to install a new T-Handle for the wakeboard rack on a 2008 x2 tower?
Ive removed the old one, and now just need to screw in the new one, but as I cant screw it in all the way as theres nothing to turn, the T itself isnt fixed to the screw.

snork
01-17-2012, 08:24 AM
Pull the threaded stud/pin out and while board rack is locked in one of its four positions.
IE. fingers facing out away from boat do not lock it down with screw knob, finger should move side to side slightly; now apply pressure by pushing board rack finger assembly right or left causing the stud/pin so it doesn't retract, then screw the T handle onto threaded stud/pin till tight.
Badda Boom Badda Bing
Hope this helps

obsessed
01-17-2012, 03:03 PM
Thanks for your reply. Ill try it out.

lanep82
01-17-2012, 04:00 PM
I took mine to the dealership when one of my T-handles broke off my '08 X-15. They replaced it for me but it cost like $25 or something. I had other work done on it as well so it wasn't that big of a deal...........

Millertime
01-17-2012, 04:18 PM
How did you remove them? Any ideas on how to remove the handle part of the clamping board racks? I want to take mine in to get powder coated.

obsessed
01-17-2012, 05:19 PM
@lanep82
Did it cost $25 for the T-Handle itself? Or just for the labor of installing it? Cheapest I found the T-handle is $66 from Charlotte Ski Boats.

@Millertime, You have to remove the whole fork first, there are 4 smaller allen key screws that hold it in. You can use an L-shape allen key as its kind of tight to get to them between the Triangle bit and the fork. Once the screws are out, lock the handle down and the fork should slide out, not sure exactly how to get the handle itself off, but you should be able to figure it out from there.
I have a pic but it doesnt show the allen keys, ive circled where they are but theyre on the other side of the triangle bit which ive also outlined.
http://files.roguesquad.co.uk/rack.JPG

You can see in the same pic that my Thandle is broken, this is how I got the boat from the previous owner, I had to use a pipewrench to remove the screw that was left there as it had seized. The other rack had the same problem, but all the screws, including the Thandle had seized so bad the heads broke off the screws and I couldnt get any out, so I had to drill them out, by the time I was done the clamp was ruined so had to buy a new one which came with the Thandle already installed. That cost me around $350

Millertime
01-17-2012, 08:03 PM
Thanks for the pointers. I got the black handle out but it still has the silver button and spring inside should I be concerned, with the heat from powder coating?
Also haven't got t handles out, there is threads exposed when I pull the t out, is that what I want to grab and spin out?

obsessed
01-18-2012, 12:45 AM
I dont know! :confused: Thats whats been confusing me too.
I need to visit my boat tonight to see if I can make sense of what snork suggested.

Millertime
01-18-2012, 12:58 AM
I managed to get the t handles out. I pulled out on the T and grabbed ahold of the threads with needle nose and loosened out. But before that I loosened a Allen key set screw that was tightened on those threads. Reverse for you, should be able to thread new ones back in then tightn set screw.

obsessed
01-18-2012, 02:51 AM
Youre right, that could be it, I noticed that tiny allen key set screw and thought that might be it. I was trying to screw the THandle in the same way with needle nose pliers, but it would get too tight at a certain point that I felt I would ruin the thread if I squeezed harder. Ill try to remove the screw and see if it screws in any easier.

snork
01-18-2012, 08:51 AM
All the t handle does is pulls a pin away from the swivel board rack. while the rack is set in one of its four positions slightly apply pressure buy moving the rack forward or aft causing the pin to lock in one of the set holes