PDA

View Full Version : Defy - wake boarding movie

kgrove
01-17-2012, 03:48 AM
Has anyone seen "Defy", the Danny Harf wakeboard movie? Reviews? The trailer is pretty cool (the helicopter scenes make me nervous every time I see them... looks like he's going to jump into the blades), so I'm wondering if the movie holds up to the trailer and if it's worth the $30.

http://defythemovie.com/

How much of the movie is wake boarding behind a boat versus cables? And is it more focused on open water tricks? Or rails and other "props"? I have to admit I am very much biased against tricks with rails etc. Much prefer old school, pull behind a boat in open water tricks. I guess that's my age showing.

Cary K.
01-17-2012, 09:01 AM
Excellent movie, I def recommend. There is rail riding, (awesome rail riding) and some crazy pool gap stuff, but still some great boat riding and double ups. Kilgus did an amazing job with everything, the locations and colors are amazing, and the soundtrack just won an award at X-Dance Festival.

And if you don't want to drop the $30 for the disc(s), you can buy it on iTunes in HD for $13. (This is what I did).

willyt
01-17-2012, 09:49 AM
I on the other hand, was a little disappointed. I bought it on iTunes as well (my laptop has an HDMI out, so it's basically just a Blu ray player). I thought for the amount of hype this got, pitching it as a "3 year project", it left a little to be desired. The riding is absolutely off the hook, stuff their doing is incredible, but it didn't do a good job of telling a story... Being an epic.

My disappointment could be because I've watched the art of flight about 10 times since buying it... Pretty hard to top that.

Lakeside09
01-17-2012, 07:25 PM
It was an awesome movie... killer scenes and awesome soundtrack. Well worth it! Mostly Nautique as for the boat... but they did show a few shots with the Parks X-Star. Great movie and will def get you hyped up for spring to hurry and get here.