PDA

View Full Version : What Trailer Tires Have Worked Best For You?

holdenh2o
01-16-2012, 11:38 PM
Today I got spring fever and drove down to storage to bring her back to the house to do some light cleaning (more just to have it in front of my house for the afternoon:)). But, having just bought my boat last October, I hadn't really looked at my tires - until today. They were cracking all along the sidewall. Well, instead of heading back to the house, I headed to Discount Tire to replace. Having all intentions of replacing the GY Marathons that were on there, I was talked into the new Carlisle RHs. In determining which size, the guy looked at the back of the tire and said these were manufactured in '04:eek: - I'm assuming these were the original tires (I have an '05)! Still solid tread, too. So, now, I'm wondering if I bought the right tire. I went back and forth reading reviews while waiting my turn, ready to tell the guys, "I changed my mind, I want the Marathons". But the reviews were just as bad as the others (including the "old" Carlisles). Now, I have the tires, and they've only been out for around 6 months, so there aren't many reviews positive or negative.

Got me thinking - all you guys/gals that trailer, which tires have you had the most success with?

curtish
01-17-2012, 02:07 AM
Those Marathons have a very bad reputation around here. Do a quick search and you'll see that. That being said, the original Marathons are on our trailer ('01 X-9). Just can't bring myself to replace them since they look perfect. As soon as I see a single flaw, they'll be gone though.

Cary K.
01-17-2012, 09:02 AM
Maxxis, and they have been outstanding! I don't remember the number, but I can look at lunch if you'd like.

keith3613
01-17-2012, 09:07 AM
I had Goodyear Marathon tires on my 1984 Stars and Stripes for over 20 years without a problem. I changed them due to age. Keep in mind; I kept my boat in the garage during that time. So, there was no sunlight exposure except when traveling weekly to the lake. I replaced them with Marathons and still keep my boat in the garage.

thatsmrmastercraft
01-17-2012, 10:33 AM
Marathons had were a great tire for a long time. Goodyear changed the tire and created problems for quite a few, but not all of the users. It is suspected that they started manufacturing them in a secondary facility where quality control standards are not as stringent as they should be. Tire failure is usually a full delamination of he tread, which when coupled with fiberglas fenders, is not good.

There are plenty of good tires out there. Carlise had a bad rep for their little boat trailer tires years ago, but they produce a fine tire now.

O2BESOHUGE
01-17-2012, 10:36 AM
I GOT MINE HERE...THEY CAME MOUNTED, BALANCED AND READY FOR ME TO INSTALL ON MY TRAILER IN 3 DAYS. ALSO CAME WITH LUG NUTS AND CENTER CAPS

http://www.sturdybuiltonline.com/ST20575D15-Bias-ply-Tire-Mounted-on-Aluminum-Split-Spoke-Wheel-_p_121.html

THEY LOOK PRETTY GOOD TOO!

thatsmrmastercraft
01-17-2012, 10:41 AM
I GOT MINE HERE...THEY CAME MOUNTED, BALANCEDAND READY FOR ME TO INSTALL ON MY TRAILER IN 3 DAYS. ALSO CAME WITH LUG NUTS AND CENTER CAPS

http://www.sturdybuiltonline.com/ST20575D15-Bias-ply-Tire-Mounted-on-Aluminum-Split-Spoke-Wheel-_p_121.html

THEY LOOK PRETTY GOOD TOO!

How were their shipping charges?

O2BESOHUGE
01-17-2012, 10:47 AM
You Have To Check With Them...i Got Mine On Sale And It Was Free Shipping

thatsmrmastercraft
01-17-2012, 11:02 AM
Makes for pretty good pricing.

O2BESOHUGE
01-17-2012, 11:07 AM
I Went With 1 Inch Bigger Rims To And They Fit Fine..IT GAVE ME A BIT MORE CLEARANCE AT THE PROP

Thrall
01-17-2012, 06:46 PM
I have some oddball brand, Commodore, from Discount now on my X2 trailer (tandem). Couldn't complain since the tire shop hooked me up with warranty on bad 5yr old Marathons that were out of warranty, 2 of 4 delaminated with low miles.
They've done well for 2 years now with lots of miles on them including 1200mi this summer at 80mph, moving to WA from CO. Worried me becasue they look like GY Marathon treads and I figured knockoff Marathons would be worse than the real deal, but good so far.
If I were to buy new tires I'd get Kumho's. They're the only 14" D rated tire if you have 14" rims.

thatsmrmastercraft
01-17-2012, 07:57 PM
I have some oddball brand, Commodore, from Discount now on my X2 trailer (tandem). Couldn't complain since the tire shop hooked me up with warranty on bad 5yr old Marathons that were out of warranty, 2 of 4 delaminated with low miles.
They've done well for 2 years now with lots of miles on them including 1200mi this summer at 80mph, moving to WA from CO. Worried me becasue they look like GY Marathon treads and I figured knockoff Marathons would be worse than the real deal, but good so far.
If I were to buy new tires I'd get Kumho's. They're the only 14" D rated tire if you have 14" rims.

Interesting that the Kumho website does not list these as ST trailer tires, but their description reads "For commercial light truck, transporter, van and trailer." Their D rated 205/75R14 Radial 857 carries a 2050# max rating vs. 1760# for a typical ST205/75R14. 8200# vs. 7040#

I have sold plenty of Kumho semi tires, but have only sold a few sets of Kumho passenger and light truck tires. No question that they make a great product.

JohnE
01-17-2012, 09:07 PM
Marathon's have a bad rep partially due to some reported bad manufacturing and partially due to the MC Tandem trailers famously blowing them on a regular basis possibly due to the stress added from the torsion spring design. I've had no problems with the marathons on my 2 single axle mc trailers and I've run 1000 mile trips very hard.

curtish
01-18-2012, 12:42 AM
Marathon's have a bad rep partially due to some reported bad manufacturing and partially due to the MC Tandem trailers famously blowing them on a regular basis possibly due to the stress added from the torsion spring design. I've had no problems with the marathons on my 2 single axle mc trailers and I've run 1000 mile trips very hard.

Can you elaborate on how the torsion spring adds more stress to the tire? How does it stress a tire more, given the same weight?

TOO-TALL
01-18-2012, 12:51 AM
I've had the kumos for two years without a problem.like the d rateing

rspiecha
01-19-2012, 05:25 PM
I'm using Kumho 857 14 inch tires on my trailer without issues. Nice looking tire, and higher load capacity being a D rated 14 inch tire. As for the torsion suspension, you should see the tires being flexed sideways when backing and turning, especially over uneven ground.