PDA

View Full Version : New Wakeboard

-V-
01-16-2012, 03:42 PM
Any thoughts on the Hyperlite Forefront?

mikeg205
01-16-2012, 03:57 PM
only a three stage rocker...have you seen it physically? I believe you'll surpass the Forefront in one season....IMHO the forefront is in the same class as the adult motive which is no longer available.

-V-
01-17-2012, 08:28 AM
only a three stage rocker...have you seen it physically? I believe you'll surpass the Forefront in one season....IMHO the forefront is in the same class as the adult motive which is no longer available.

Well I was looking at the forefront by hyperlite and I was also looking at the vault by ronix. They are pretty much the same board. I thought that the fact that it had a difference between the TS/HS was pretty cool, are you telling me it's a joke? I am in the market for a new board, I already got a pair of binding when i was at the Cleveland Boat Show, got a heck of a deal on a pair, but now it is time for a board that is for me.

I know i am looking for a board in the 144 size range. I have yet to make it over the wake. Last time i tried I hit the wake and busted all of my gear up. Board is still good but the technology over the years tell me i should get a better board. My boots are Hyperlite Focus, and I was looking to match a board to them.

Any suggestions?

agarabaghi
01-17-2012, 01:47 PM
only a 3 stage?

Thats the most aggressive style of rocker...

Jerseydave
01-17-2012, 05:12 PM
A 144 is for big guys....what's your height and weight?

If you're having trouble going wake-to-wake try to work on your technique. learnwake.com is helpful also.

I like the Liquid Force Trip for learning. Many people like this board including Keith Lyman...he used a lot of the Trip features to develop his Lyman board.

Sorry cannot comment about Hyperlite, I never rode any of those. Try wakeworld.com and you'll get so many opinions it will make your head spin!

-V-
01-17-2012, 10:23 PM
I guess I fall in the 144 category........6'2" about 220...........as far as rocker and everything else on the board, what should I be leaning towards......

mikeg205
01-17-2012, 10:54 PM
only a 3 stage?

Thats the most aggressive style of rocker...

then why doesn't Rusty ride it or why isn't it available on the top of the line marek nova...??

mikeg205
01-17-2012, 11:03 PM
I guess I fall in the 144 category........6'2" about 220...........as far as rocker and everything else on the board, what should I be leaning towards......

-V- what your goals... my son went from face planting approaching the wake to flying from wake to wake in a season and a half. He's most likely is going for the marek bio because the edging and abrupt rocker. Take some lessons if you can and get a helmet...can you go somewhere to try out?

For example - I am a slalom skier running a HO Comp Free Ride 69" Burner. I don't have plans to run a slalom course...but I will be upgrading in 2013 to a coefficient. The big difference for me will be the responsiveness of the ski.

I bring that up because my son tried a Ronix with an abrupt rocker and a sharp edge and was able control and learn to fly wake to wake on the ronix...then he was able to bring that knowledge back to his adult hyperlite motive.

Once again...see if you can try some gear before you buy.

mikeg205
01-17-2012, 11:05 PM
Well I was looking at the forefront by hyperlite and I was also looking at the vault by ronix. They are pretty much the same board. I thought that the fact that it had a difference between the TS/HS was pretty cool, are you telling me it's a joke? I am in the market for a new board, I already got a pair of binding when i was at the Cleveland Boat Show, got a heck of a deal on a pair, but now it is time for a board that is for me.

I know i am looking for a board in the 144 size range. I have yet to make it over the wake. Last time i tried I hit the wake and busted all of my gear up. Board is still good but the technology over the years tell me i should get a better board. My boots are Hyperlite Focus, and I was looking to match a board to them.

Any suggestions?

get the best board you can afford...you won't regret it.

-V-
01-18-2012, 08:07 AM
I would love to try out a board...at the same time i would HATE to suck so bad that i get laughed at the whole time. Its funny you mention faceplant while approaching the wake, thats exactly what I did when i broke my old bindings. I guess what i am going to have to do is wait untill i get to california and find a pro shop with test boards..........i just want to find the right board for me. I am not trying to do serious flips or anything, just some decent tricks over the wake.

nmcjr
01-19-2012, 07:53 PM
Few things to mention. First, don't look for a "beginner board." Most of the time you can make an advanced board a beginner board by using the center fins-you are just making it track better. Most advanced riders then remove the center fins once they progress. You could make the argument that a 3-stage is too agressive for a beginner, but I don't agree with that. Most people I know learned on and ride a 3-stage because of the way 3-stages pop off the wake. Another thing to keep in mind is that you really won't know which board is right for you until your skill level improves, so it makes choosing a board now a bit of a guessing game, plus there are fewer shops doing demos any more. There are a few boards that will be terrible for you now, and whole bunch that will probably all feel the same and a few that will be right for you a year from now. So, I think the best thing to look at is other's experiences on different boards and general characteristics.

Personally, here is what I would look for: 3-stage or blended rocker (basically a mild 3-stage) and most importanly look for a variable edge, which means the edge is more rounded in the middle than at the tips which reduces edge catches.

Of the boards I have ridden, here is my feedback on a couple I know very well, both Liquid Force. The Witness is a good consistent board, blended rocker. I rode this for about a year. I now ride and really like the Watson Classic. Its very popular board that is also very consistent but a bit more agressive off the wake and a bit looser on the water without fins. There are times that there are four Watson's on my boat.

mikeg205
01-19-2012, 09:23 PM
Few things to mention. First, don't look for a "beginner board." Most of the time you can make an advanced board a beginner board by using the center fins-you are just making it track better. Most advanced riders then remove the center fins once they progress. You could make the argument that a 3-stage is too agressive for a beginner, but I don't agree with that. Most people I know learned on and ride a 3-stage because of the way 3-stages pop off the wake. Another thing to keep in mind is that you really won't know which board is right for you until your skill level improves, so it makes choosing a board now a bit of a guessing game, plus there are fewer shops doing demos any more. There are a few boards that will be terrible for you now, and whole bunch that will probably all feel the same and a few that will be right for you a year from now. So, I think the best thing to look at is other's experiences on different boards and general characteristics.

Personally, here is what I would look for: 3-stage or blended rocker (basically a mild 3-stage) and most importanly look for a variable edge, which means the edge is more rounded in the middle than at the tips which reduces edge catches.

Of the boards I have ridden, here is my feedback on a couple I know very well, both Liquid Force. The Witness is a good consistent board, blended rocker. I rode this for about a year. I now ride and really like the Watson Classic. Its very popular board that is also very consistent but a bit more agressive off the wake and a bit looser on the water without fins. There are times that there are four Watson's on my boat.

nice explanation....

GoneBoatN
01-20-2012, 01:56 AM
I would love to try out a board...at the same time i would HATE to suck so bad that i get laughed at the whole time. Its funny you mention faceplant while approaching the wake, thats exactly what I did when i broke my old bindings. I guess what i am going to have to do is wait untill i get to california and find a pro shop with test boards..........i just want to find the right board for me. I am not trying to do serious flips or anything, just some decent tricks over the wake.

What part of California are you moving to?

Contact some shops and see if there are any reps having demo days. That is a great way to try various boards.

GoneBoatN
01-20-2012, 02:05 AM

I have a Witness and I like it alot. I have yet to take the fins off but plan on doing so this up coming season. My son has a Byerely Assult. He get really good pop using that board. I tried it once and it felt way too loose (he has the center fins off) on landings. My local shop will rent various, but not all boards, and then applies the rental fees to the purchase price.

-V-
01-20-2012, 07:21 AM
Thanks everyone for the responses. According to my CSM, I am going to Tracy CA to work out at the Depot there, BUT I am trying to get back to San Antonio instead and work out at the new Joint Base San Antonio Medical Center, the old BAMC. So as of right now I am going to Tracy.

Right now I have a board that still works, Its a hyperlite but I forgot what model it was, actually I never knew what model it was, I got it with the boat. I did buy a "starter" board to ride. It was a Hydroslide, I picked it up for $100 out in Austin. I started with that for about 3 months then moved the bindings to the hyperlite. about 6 months ago I caught the edge of the wake going in for a wake to wake jump and split the bindings apart from the base. About a week ago I bought a set of Hyperlite Focus bindings at the boat shoe here in Cleveland for a real good price.

I need to find out what board I have now (its in storage about an hour south) and see if I need a better board or not. The original bindings on the board I found were the 2001 Hyperlite 3060's, but the board could be newer. And I am pretty sure that board is too small for me.

gts-20
01-20-2012, 11:05 AM

my 2 cents,

I'm 6' 250lbs and ride a 2010 Vault 144 w/ Ronix Divide boots. I bought it as a package w/ boots, new in 2010 for $399.00 at a M2 Sports in Houston.

I would consider myself an beginner and I really like the board. I have some buddys that are intermediate riders and they ride my board w/ the fins removed a love it.

GoneBoatN
01-20-2012, 11:19 AM
Thanks everyone for the responses. According to my CSM, I am going to Tracy CA to work out at the Depot there, BUT I am trying to get back to San Antonio instead and work out at the new Joint Base San Antonio Medical Center, the old BAMC. So as of right now I am going to Tracy.

Right now I have a board that still works, Its a hyperlite but I forgot what model it was, actually I never knew what model it was, I got it with the boat. I did buy a "starter" board to ride. It was a Hydroslide, I picked it up for $100 out in Austin. I started with that for about 3 months then moved the bindings to the hyperlite. about 6 months ago I caught the edge of the wake going in for a wake to wake jump and split the bindings apart from the base. About a week ago I bought a set of Hyperlite Focus bindings at the boat shoe here in Cleveland for a real good price.

I need to find out what board I have now (its in storage about an hour south) and see if I need a better board or not. The original bindings on the board I found were the 2001 Hyperlite 3060's, but the board could be newer. And I am pretty sure that board is too small for me.

Tracy is about 45 minutes from me and the board shop I referenced in a prior email. Maybe we can hook up if/when you get out in this area. You would be central to a few lakes and the Delta for riding. My Witness is 144 and you would be welcome to try it.

GT500 MC
01-21-2012, 06:37 PM
Tracy is about 45 minutes from me and the board shop I referenced in a prior email. Maybe we can hook up if/when you get out in this area. You would be central to a few lakes and the Delta for riding. My Witness is 144 and you would be welcome to try it.

GoneBoatN/nmcjr - Just bought a Witness 144 ('11 model). Being shipped this week. What bindings have you guys used with this board? I saw a good deal on the LF Ultra's but am just starting my shopping.

GoneBoatN
01-21-2012, 11:22 PM
Ronix Cell. 2010 model. I've been happy with them.

hondaprlud
01-22-2012, 01:51 PM
I already got a pair of binding when i was at the Cleveland Boat Show, got a heck of a deal on a pair, but now it is time for a board that is for me.

Did you get the bindings from the guys from Lake Milton? They were blowing them out, I bought 3 pair.

-V-
01-22-2012, 05:54 PM
Did you get the bindings from the guys from Lake Milton? They were blowing them out, I bought 3 pair.

Yeah, i met those guys at the other boat show last year in euclid, They gave me a decent deal. Good guys, lots of knowledge.

-V-
01-29-2012, 11:14 AM
I went to where my boat is and pulled out my board. It is a 2003 Hyperlite Motive 140.........any thoughts?

mikeg205
01-29-2012, 11:24 AM
My son has a Motive, it was a good started board for him, but his skills outgrew the board in a season and a half. The board is very stable but he says he does not get the pop off the wake and says the edge prevents him from cutting harder. He tried a 2009 ronix - looks like a mana and immediately felt more control and more pop. Only downside was the Mana did not have hard fins so the landings where a bit sloppier on the Ronix...but we got wake to wake air on the ronix and kept landing short on the Motive...Motive is not a bad board... I ride it... I am 6'0 190lbs and I am just have to cross the wake in it...such a different feel than slalom lol.

nmcjr
01-30-2012, 11:57 AM
I'm not one for changing boards every year and I don't know the 2003 Motive, but I can say that technology in board construction and shapes have changed a lot since 2003, so you'd definately benefit from a new board. I'd look for a 2011 closeout as this is a good time of year to buy previous year's board. I'm a big fan of the Watson Classic, but again I certainly haven't ridden every board on the market.

While you are at it, if your bindings are 2003 also, bindings have changed a lot as well and I'd look for bindings too. In my opinion Ronix is the only binding to buy, their fit and comfort is unparalleled at the moment. I like both the Ones and the Reliks.

GT500 MC
01-30-2012, 12:04 PM
I'm not one for changing boards every year and I don't know the 2003 Motive, but I can say that technology in board construction and shapes have changed a lot since 2003, so you'd definately benefit from a new board. I'd look for a 2011 closeout as this is a good time of year to buy previous year's board. I'm a big fan of the Watson Classic, but again I certainly haven't ridden every board on the market.

While you are at it, if your bindings are 2003 also, bindings have changed a lot as well and I'd look for bindings too. In my opinion Ronix is the only binding to buy, their fit and comfort is unparalleled at the moment. I like both the Ones and the Reliks.

Are most bolt patterns the same on the various board/boot combo's? Meaning will all Ronix bindings fit on LF boards/vice versa?

76S&S
01-30-2012, 01:53 PM
Are most bolt patterns the same on the various board/boot combo's? Meaning will all Ronix bindings fit on LF boards/vice versa?

typically yes, but LF has gone to a metric thread insert.

GT500 MC
01-30-2012, 02:00 PM
typically yes, but LF has gone to a metric thread insert.

Does anyone know for what model year they did this? I just bought a '11 Witness and was wondering if I should just look at LF boots or had other options.

GoneBoatN
01-30-2012, 03:22 PM
To elaborate on bolt patterns see - http://www.evo.com/wakeboard-and-wakeboard-boot-binding-compatibility-chart-and-information.aspx

As far as metric treads, according to the Liquid Force web site, it sounds like they went to the metric M6 in the 2012 models. See the "M6 - Liquid Force Goes Metric" video at http://www.liquidforcefilms.com/index2.php

mallees
01-30-2012, 04:01 PM
2012 model liquid force boards are M6, it gives them an extra couple turns of thread on the bolts. But they are in the same position as last years boards.

nmcjr
01-30-2012, 05:13 PM
In short, 07-09 was sort of a mess, but if you stick with '10 and up you should see most boots and boards at 6" spacing. You can buy metric bolts to go with any bindings if needed so I wouldn't choose brand of bindings based upon the screw type.