PDA

View Full Version : Dog owners (word of advice)

02ProstarSammyD
01-16-2012, 11:12 AM
I'm sure this will stir all sorts of crap but I'd feel remiss if I didn't bring it up. After 10 years of fostering/rescuing dogs I had my first major fight this weekend in the house.

If you own a dog, foster strange dogs, walk your dogs in public please keep a break stick, mace, or something to break up possible fights. It could save your dog, another dog, or anyone in the middle.

Just a word of advice to be responsible owners

btw if you have a terrier carry a breaking stick. If you have any other breed do not attempt using a breaking stick. other dogs tend to just bite all over and not latch on. If you stick your hand in there you will get bit by random breeds. Ask me how I know lol

ntidsl
01-16-2012, 11:18 AM
Sorry to hear. Hope everything is okay. My son got bit in the face by a small dog when he was six. He now knows to avoid small dogs with "attitude" problems. My good friend loves small yippe dogs...we no longer can visit her as I've had it with the barking and snipping! Had to give up a friend who obvioulsy decided to become a dog person instead of a people person...but I digress.

NatesGr8
01-16-2012, 03:51 PM
My size 12 is for little dogs

tex
01-16-2012, 04:33 PM
I'm sure this will stir all sorts of crap but I'd feel remiss if I didn't bring it up. After 10 years of fostering/rescuing dogs I had my first major fight this weekend in the house.

If you own a dog, foster strange dogs, walk your dogs in public please keep a break stick, mace, or something to break up possible fights. It could save your dog, another dog, or anyone in the middle.

Just a word of advice to be responsible owners

btw if you have a terrier carry a breaking stick. If you have any other breed do not attempt using a breaking stick. other dogs tend to just bite all over and not latch on. If you stick your hand in there you will get bit by random breeds. Ask me how I know lol

Cheers to you for fostering. We got our last dog from a true rescue/foster group. We had to jump through all the hoops but ended up with the best mutt! House/Crate trained and the dog that people freak over when they come to our house. Everybody wants her(cool because at one point somebody didn't) and it's all because of good foster people like you. I will tip one back to you in a minute! Thanks!

scott023
01-16-2012, 04:39 PM
My size 12 is for little dogs

My size 11 is as well. :D

bailey78
01-16-2012, 05:01 PM
I have an english bulldog, and rescued another one! Brutus was mean to the bone, until he figured out we weren't going to hit him. He is the most loving dog in the world knowing nobody is going to hurt him.

02ProstarSammyD
01-17-2012, 10:08 AM
I have an english bulldog, and rescued another one! Brutus was mean to the bone, until he figured out we weren't going to hit him. He is the most loving dog in the world knowing nobody is going to hurt him.

Usually how it is. I deal with primarily pits and most that have fear issues etc can be resolved easily with some TLC. Its all about the owner. I fostered this dog from 6 weeks -14 weeks. Owner adopted and had her for a year. Gave her back after the year, no longer housetrained, couldn't walk on a leash, and was down right dog aggressive with one of my females. Had her crated in a seperate room and she broke up, ran into the den, bit my lil 28lb female in the face right in front of my kids. Needless to say my lil bit dragged her butt out of the room by her leg to protect the kids and wouldn't let her up even when the other dog was tearing her apart.

Also noting the aggressive dog was a mutt not a pit. I've never had one bit of aggressive pit but mine is extremely protective. Of course now I'm having to answer 40 questions about why my dog broke her leg etc but o well. Sad to say out of a terrible situation but I'm proud of my dog for protecting our family even if the end result wasn't pretty. She even refused to move from in front of the kids room that night.

Anyways just very lucky to have a break stick handy to seperate the fight. Any of this could happen at a dog park, street, or even in your home. Dogs are still animals and need to be respected as such. My dogs would never bite another dog unprovoked but they are very protective over my kids. I can see in my mind if a stray came into the yard while the boys were playing and having issues.

rjracin240
01-17-2012, 10:17 AM
Since we are getting all emotional on our pets, might as well add something!

Inner Peace: This is so true

If you can start the day without caffeine,
If you can always be cheerful, ignoring aches and pains,
If you can resist complaining and boring people with your troubles,
If you can eat the same food every day and be grateful for it,
If you can understand when your loved ones are too busy to give you any time,
If you can take criticism and blame without resentment,
If you can conquer tension without medical help,
If you can relax without alcohol,
If you can sleep without the aid of drugs,

...Then You Are Probably .........

The Family Dog!

onewheat
01-17-2012, 01:42 PM
What is a "break stick" - just a stick to break up fights or something special?

02ProstarSammyD
01-18-2012, 08:26 AM
A break stick is basically a wooden spike that looks similar to a garden stake. Alot of people actually use the plastic landscape ones. On certain breeds mostly terriers their prey drive tells them to grasp a dog instead of just randomly biting. For instance if a poodle gets in a fight they are most likely going to bite all over the place and just leave punctures. When a dog like a bull terrier, pits, staffys bite they attack one certain area and grasp ahold of it generally flailing around. This is where the rumor of pits having locking jaws came from. When they grip down they don't resituate and just "lock" on. Their jaws do not physically lock but they are tough to get off. You insert the break stick in the rear of their mouth in the gap between the teeth and twist the jaws open.

Its a very simple device but putting your hands inside of a dogs mouth just doesn't work and usually ends up bad.

For other breeds including terriers mace or citronella works fantastic. Dogs despise citronella and a spray water bottle full is what most of my neighbors carry. I live in a small area where pretty much every person has a dog and between 7-8 and 5-7pm its like dogs own the streets. Everyone is walking and alot of the times you can see people carrying water bottles, break sticks in their back pocket, etc and it makes me feel good that if something did happen the likelyhood that a fight can be stopped before serious injuries occur.

snork
01-18-2012, 08:44 AM
I thought a break stick is a large formidable stick which you would break over the aggressive dogs head.

02ProstarSammyD
01-18-2012, 10:22 AM
^haha while I lol'd that will actually just piss the dog off more. However it does work for nippy wives and girlfriends.