PDA

View Full Version : can anybody tell me where to look on the distributor for the part number/model number

pbgbottle
01-15-2012, 09:47 PM
1988 351W

trying to find out the part # for my distributor i am thinkig of upgrading to electronic ignition
while searching around the web a few places are asking what the part # is on my distributor .i think mine is a prestolite with a screw down cap.

also has anybody tried out the Hot-spark stuff. cheap on ebay $60 bucks

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Electronic-Ignition-Conversion-Kit-Prestolite-8-Cyl-Marine-Distributors-/310368577805?pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&vxp=mtr&hash=item484368a90d

1redTA
01-16-2012, 06:33 AM
I just ordered it for the screw down cap, presto lite distributor from petronix. works like a charm!

Lumbergh
01-16-2012, 10:22 AM
I looks like a great deal, but I'm also skeptical about the origin of the kit. Cheap junk or quality?

Like to know this myself, this is less than half skidim's price, plus free shipping.

Anyone installed this on their older MC from this seller?

Matt L.
01-16-2012, 10:55 AM
http://www.pertronix.com/prod/ig/default.aspx

Their stuff works great! I have a 7 year old Ignitor II in my 240SC. Touch starts all day long!

If you have a mallory distributor take it to your local speed shop. They should be able to send it back to Mallory for a cheap (~$100) rebuild. Mine totally grenaded inside at WOT. They didn't rebuild it, just sent back a brand new billet one! dropped the Pertronix in and away we went.

That hot spark stuff reeks of cheap made in china crap!

Best mod for the money to date!

Later,

Matt

TRBenj
01-16-2012, 01:21 PM
Pertronix does not have a very good reputation... the only 2 people that I know who tried them had issues and ended up removing them and going back to points. On my engines that dont have significant engine upgrades, I leave the points in and they work great. Why swap to something that gives no warning and will cost $100 when it fails? You cant limp back to the dock with a dead EI module like I can with points. I have dead modules in my basement from all the popular brands- Pertronix, Mallory and Prestolite... so none are perfect.

rjracin240
01-17-2012, 10:24 AM
Not trying to jack the thread but since people are looking, anyone have a P/N for the beige screw down Distributor Cap and rotor for the 351W or a automotive year and model equivalent. Tried going locally through Advance, and AutoZone to avoid ordering through the regulars SkiDIm etc with no luck; they kept bringing out caps that were clip on.
Thanks,

pbgbottle
01-17-2012, 02:39 PM
i have this written down but i have never ordered one yet

Distributor Cap NAPA part # AL171

or Mallory 9-29412

or sierra 18-5352

TRBenj
01-18-2012, 08:46 AM
Not trying to jack the thread but since people are looking, anyone have a P/N for the beige screw down Distributor Cap and rotor for the 351W or a automotive year and model equivalent. Tried going locally through Advance, and AutoZone to avoid ordering through the regulars SkiDIm etc with no luck; they kept bringing out caps that were clip on.
Thanks,
Not all 351w distributors are the same, as youre finding out. It sounds like you have a Prestolite "screw down", but you'll want to confirm you dont have a Mallory or something else. SkiDIM carries the cap you need. If you get it local, make sure its a marine (sealed) cap, and not an automotive one.

Screw Down Prestolite cap at SkiDIM (http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RA108003)