PDA

View Full Version : Speed control confusion

-V-
01-15-2012, 06:42 PM
I am trying to make sense of the different models and makes of all of the speed controls. What is zero off? will a speed control work when turning pulling a wakeboarder? how do they work? are they easy to operate? I am looking to spend my tax money on some upholstery and a speed control system and need some help. Can anyone comment on them?

mikeg205
01-15-2012, 06:48 PM
if you can afford it yes...go for it...its just cruise control for the boat... I don't have it...my friends do and its great... Zero Off and Perfect Pass are just different brands. I personally like the GPS version...in fact - I use my TomTom as my speedometer... Dash mounted GPS speedo $375...TomTom from Sam's - $89.00...saving up for a Perfect Pass. And yes easy to operate... I ski on the illinois river so I am either accelerating in the turn or decelerating in the turn...good question from another member...

willyt
01-15-2012, 08:17 PM
A thing to keep in mind whatever system you go with is a traditional perfect pass system will require a paddlewheel under the boat. Pluses and minuses to this: if your boat doesn't have it that's another thru hull fitting you have to make. On the plus side this holds your speed better relative to a current (in bodies such as a river) than a GPS would. GPS is I believe generally more accurate. With your boat, you'll need a throttle cable servo too since its not throttle by wire.
Once you have it though... So nice. Not sure I could ever go back to not having it... Allows the driver to free up concentration on the rider/other boats.

Jerseydave
01-15-2012, 08:47 PM
Zero Off is only for boats that have throttle by wire....your boat does not.

Perfect Pass Stargazer would be your best bet. It holds speed the best, even in turns and it's the easiest to install...no paddlewheel.
A slight river current should not greatly effect the riders feel of speed, unless your current is very fast. Even then you could adjust the speed when going up river or down according to signals from your rider until you figure out where it should be set for every rider.

As stated, once your have speed control you will never want to be without it