PDA

View Full Version : A dying breed.

ahhudgins
01-15-2012, 11:29 AM
I love to trick ski from time to time just to break things up and work on my barefooting form. I need to replace my boots before this spring or buy another pair of skis. I found it odd that Overtons and Barts don't carry trick skis, and what's even worse is that Overtons has 12 pages of "tubes" and only 3 pages of skis (not including children's skis). I like it all: Slalom, barefoot, tricks, wakeboarding.

Our world is getting soft. :rolleyes:

snork
01-15-2012, 11:35 AM
I have a pair of HO tricks I'll sell

mikeg205
01-15-2012, 11:38 AM
ah, you're right about getting soft...I am 52 great shape and health (grateful)... Went for annual check up and complained to doc that most of my friends can't keep up with my level of activity... his response? - get younger friends... no most of my friends range from late 20's to early 40's. As you know you gotta stay in good shape for this sport....I love slalom and I plan to do until...well let's not think about that... :D

JDC
01-15-2012, 01:10 PM
I think most things go in cycles. Some things evolve however, and never really come back to the way they were. Maybe skiing (trick or otherwise) will make another big comeback and store shelves will be stocked again.

Can't really blame a store for not carrying stuff that doesn't move, or a manufacturer for not making items that no longer sell. Tubing is easy (for our soft world;)) and puts a smile on everyone's face, so they sell well.

trickskier
01-15-2012, 01:27 PM
Ah - Try this place to get new boots for your trickski. I stopped in last year and they said they would be able to reboot mine.

http://www.perfski.com/

ahhudgins
01-15-2012, 07:15 PM
ah, you're right about getting soft...I am 52 great shape and health (grateful)... Went for annual check up and complained to doc that most of my friends can't keep up with my level of activity... his response? - get younger friends... no most of my friends range from late 20's to early 40's. As you know you gotta stay in good shape for this sport....I love slalom and I plan to do until...well let's not think about that... :D

(IMO) Skiing is a life style and not just a hobby for most of us here. I'll be 50 this March and even though I continue to workout over the winter, I still have a few weeks of soreness once I start skiing in April (but I love it!).

My sons are 18 and 23 and I enjoy the weekends when they bring friends to the lake and they can hardly get out of bed Monday morning. Then I ask them "Who's the old fart now?"

ahhudgins
01-15-2012, 07:21 PM
I have a pair of HO tricks I'll sell

I'll send you a PM if don't find a cheap set of boots. I'm not looking for anything fancy because I'm still using a set of EP skis that I like. I replaced the boots a few years ago and one of the wraps tore last fall. Thanks.

BrooksfamX2
01-16-2012, 12:06 AM
They sell things called Wake Ski's now. A lot like the old trick ski's. I have been thinking about getting a pair...google search and youtube.......

Jerseydave
01-16-2012, 12:15 AM
Skiing is alive and well! www.ballofspray.com

Those guys could help point you in the right direction for buying tricks.

BTW, I'll be 50 this year also and will be slalom skiing and barefooting more this year than ever! Both easier on my knees than wakeboarding.

Scottman
01-16-2012, 02:26 AM
Younger generation here (26 y.o.)...been skiing my whole life, and have introduced a lot of my friends to skiing as well since I got my boat.

Trick/wake skis look very interesting to me...just wish I could try some out first before I buy. Hopefully I'll meet someone in the near future that has some!

BrooksfamX2
01-16-2012, 12:15 PM
Wake Skis..

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Body_Glove_Blades_XL_Wakeskis&i=14654&str=wake+skis&merchID=4005

kyfooter
01-16-2012, 12:21 PM
You can still find combo trick skis if you look hard enough. There was a period where you couldn't find them, but they started to make a bit of a comeback. I even saw them in the print version of the Overton's catalog within the past year. O'brien makes a pair for about $350 or so that can be ordered through several online retailers.

ahhudgins
01-16-2012, 04:23 PM
Wake Skis..

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Body_Glove_Blades_XL_Wakeskis&i=14654&str=wake+skis&merchID=4005

I saw those but they are longer than standard trick skis, which would make it a lot harder to do step overs. They say "twin tip" but I don't know if they have fins or not.

lettmeknow
01-16-2012, 04:39 PM
D3 makes singles. Pricey though.

http://www.d3skis.com/category-s/53.htm

ahhudgins
01-16-2012, 06:45 PM
D3 makes singles. Pricey though.

http://www.d3skis.com/category-s/53.htm

That's just a little bit out of my price range for a recreational ski! I found the O'briens that kyfooter mentioned and they were on sale for $299. I just bought a O'brien slalom ski with the same boot and they are rather flimsy...very thin rubber. I've got plenty of time to look before I hit the water again, but if all else fails I guess I can just ride a tube. :D

aquaman
01-16-2012, 06:52 PM
That's just a little bit out of my price range for a recreational ski! I found the O'briens that kyfooter mentioned and they were on sale for $299. I just bought a O'brien slalom ski with the same boot and they are rather flimsy...very thin rubber. I've got plenty of time to look before I hit the water again, but if all else fails I guess I can just ride a tube. :D

I used to trick ski and loved it. Now i wakeboard with a trick ski "style". I think tricks went out because it required too much concentration and thought ?

You could always learn to do tricks on the "tube" . :D

BrooksfamX2
01-16-2012, 07:47 PM
...... but if all else fails I guess I can just ride a tube. :D

Hey, I'm in my mid 50's and love to tube, surf and tandom ski. My slalom and wakeboard days are gone. I may need to pick up a pair of wake ski's though........:)

Jerseydave
01-16-2012, 07:55 PM
You may find some used trick skis on ski-it-again

http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php?topic=Search&category=Trick

madcityskier
01-17-2012, 02:57 PM
For any binding needs. Contact them about what you had on previously and they'll help get you set up. Often without drilling.

www.wileyski.com

ahhudgins
01-17-2012, 06:02 PM
For any binding needs. Contact them about what you had on previously and they'll help get you set up. Often without drilling.

www.wileyski.com

After searching for over an hour last night I did find the Wiley binding that looks like what I want. Overtons sells an adjustable plate binding with the velcro wrap (which is what I had before) but it got bad reviews.

TRBenj
01-19-2012, 10:49 AM
FYI, I believe the trick wrap is going to be slightly taller and more snug than their standard high wraps. I believe some of the slalom pros who use Wiley's are actually using the Trick Wrap.

Personally, I love their bindings on my slalom ski, but Im not sure I want to be that locked into my tricks. Im just a hack, but enjoy the heck out of them... Id rather pop out of the ski when I (inevitably) fall in an awkward position. The (original) adjustables on my vintage EP's work just fine.

I agree that tricking is great cross training for footing! You can find reasonably priced vintage tricks on ebay for <$100. Big fun/$ ratio!

ahhudgins
01-19-2012, 05:52 PM
If I bought an old pair off of ebay, odds are I would have to replace the bindings. The tricks I'm using (old EPs) had the adjustable plates, which where fine. When I wore those out I got some bindings with the velcro wraps. The wraps were higher and had a snugger fit that I really got used to. I will just keep looking for who has the best price on the Wiley binding whether it's the trick or slalom. I think I only paid about $200 for the tricks brand new and I've gotten my moneys worth out of them. :D

The sale price I saw on the new Obrien tricks were great, but I don't care much for the K-9 binding that came on my Obrien slalom.

BROUSSARD
01-19-2012, 07:10 PM
I saw those but they are longer than standard trick skis, which would make it a lot harder to do step overs. They say "twin tip" but I don't know if they have fins or not.

They do have fins (two per ski)

ahhudgins
01-19-2012, 08:23 PM
They do have fins (two per ski)

They call them trick/wake skis, and they refer to doing 180s and 360s with them. I guess they mean aerial tricks. Regular trick skis are a blast, and everyone gets a laugh when newbies want to try them.:D

TRBenj
01-20-2012, 09:58 AM
If I bought an old pair off of ebay, odds are I would have to replace the bindings.

I will just keep looking for who has the best price on the Wiley binding whether it's the trick or slalom.
Not so sure about that- it all depends on the condition of the skis you buy! I picked up my vintage EP's this summer and the bindings are still mint.

So far as I know, the only place you can buy (new) Wiley's is... Wiley's! (http://www.wileyski.com/) You may find some used pairs on SIA.

ahhudgins
01-20-2012, 08:55 PM
Not so sure about that- it all depends on the condition of the skis you buy! I picked up my vintage EP's this summer and the bindings are still mint.

So far as I know, the only place you can buy (new) Wiley's is... Wiley's! (http://www.wileyski.com/) You may find some used pairs on SIA.

Overtons sells a replacement velcro wrap that will fit my bindings! $19.99 each, which is better than buying new bindings or skis.

I found these used EP tricks that are the same as mine for $35.00. I've never heard of the site but if anyone wants to take a chance, it's a good deal. I can't tell if the finger holes are in good shape.

http://www.nextechclassifieds.com/listings/view/264557/