PDA

View Full Version : Speakers

Godawgs313
01-15-2012, 10:46 AM
I currently have 4 Polk dbs on the tower and 2 in the boat. Looking to upgrade either to wetsounds xs 650,Memphis marine, or Polk momo. From what I can tell wetsounds is a really good speaker and I have heard the Polk mm in person they sound good. Any suggestions or reviews are greatly appreciated. They will be powered by a 4 and 6 channel Memphis 600 amp.

Lakeside09
01-15-2012, 11:29 AM
Take a look at Exile... great customer service. My opinion best tower speakers on the market... they have a 6.5 co-ax version that might interest you if that's what your looking for. I would recommend any of their products... Brian or Rob are always willing to help... exileaudio.com

CantRepeat
01-15-2012, 12:20 PM
I would not rule out XM7s.

Yellow X9
01-15-2012, 12:37 PM
Wet Sounds, Be heard

Godawgs313
01-15-2012, 02:32 PM
Looks the sx65 are good bit cheaper than the wetsounds. If they perform equal or better i am sold. Do you think it's worth the cost to replace all six?

willyt
01-15-2012, 03:43 PM
Why have we ruled out hlcd speakers on the tower? If your looking to hear music at 70 ft back... That's what your going to need... Wetsounds or non-wetsounds

Godawgs313
01-15-2012, 04:41 PM
I haven't ruled anything out I am open for all suggestions. So many out there just want some that are in the best for my budget(150-250 per pair)

Godawgs313
01-15-2012, 04:42 PM
I have monster cans, just want replacement speakers which will fit them.

EarmarkMarine
01-15-2012, 04:42 PM
You really have to begin with how you are going to use your system.
Are the in-boat coaxials going to be the primary speakers driving sound quality or are they going to be an afterthought with the tower speakers as the main focus.
As for the tower speakers, are you a) listening at rest near and around the boat in a quiet cove, b) listening at surf range, c) listening at wakeboard range, or d) the guy that provides the entertainment for everyone when tied up. These are very different demands that require very different types of speakers and power levels.
The Polk MMs are excellent for in-boat sound quality but cannot project with any degree of intelligiblity at wakeboarding range. For the tower at that range you want to look for a different speaker type.
As for tower speakers if you are looking for a surf speaker then there are plenty of good choices in the 6.5" range...Wetsounds, Exile, Kicker, Memphis, JL Audio, etc. But if you are going for HLCDs then by all means leap past the 6.5" variety and go the larger 8-inch HLCD models. There are a number of larger HLCDs made available more recently. Its hard for a smaller 6.5" HLCD to balance the midbass warmth with the aggressive compression horn tweeters. You may find these too bright for a mix of near field listening.
Also, the Polk MM651 (non-UM version) along with the Memphis tower speakers are 2-ohm speakers that can complicate some power schemes versus the typical 4-ohm speakers.

David
Earmark Marine

EarmarkMarine
01-15-2012, 04:46 PM
Oops, $250 a pair?
Then definitely go with the Wetsounds XS650 coaxials as this is the most dynamic speaker of the standard raw coaxials that will retrofit into your Monster Tower pods.

David
Earmark Marine

Godawgs313
01-15-2012, 04:51 PM
David

Is it worth spending 750.00 on 6 wetsounds to replace all the Polk dbs or would it not be a big enough change?

Godawgs313
01-15-2012, 04:54 PM
David

Is it worth the 750.00 to replace all 6 polk dbs with wetsounds or is it not really a big improvement ? The use is for entertainment.

EarmarkMarine
01-15-2012, 05:26 PM
The Polk dBs are really one of the very best sub-$100 a pair coaxials. There are numerous construction upgrades in the Wetsounds but the differences that will impact the sound will be a) a continuous midbass cone that is not interrupted by a tweeter mounting post. The WS tweeter is bridge-mounted by the grill. So the WS midbass cone has greater surface area which translates to better midbass performance. It also makes the midbass cone airtight. This isn't an issue in a car door or boat coaming panel that constitutes an infinite baffle. However, in the context of a smallish tower pod this also contributes to better midbass and superior power handling....b) the Wetsounds has a metal dome tweeter which is more aggressive. There are two camps on the sound of tweeters. Some like the smoothness of a soft, silk or textile dome while others like the extra high frequency emphasis that is associated with most metal domes. But, most will agree that the metal domes are essential if you want to project over a greater distamce. Also, the Polk dB has a .75" dome with a .75" voice coil while the Wetsounds XS650 tweeter is a full 1" and 1". And that is simply more powerful with more thermal capacity.

David
Earmark Marine

Godawgs313
01-15-2012, 07:35 PM
Thanks for the I info. It's nice to have someone to actually explain why there better. My local audio shop said that Memphis are the best, but when asked why just said because they sound the best.

Jeff d
01-16-2012, 11:00 AM
What are you pushing the current in boat DB651s with? I was pushing 4 with the head unit but just put in a Polk Audio amp (~50 watts RMS per speaker) and they sound so much better all the way up to full volume (HPF set at 80 Hz).

If they're working I'd consider sticking with the DB651's in the cockpit and apply the savings towards your towers. Maybe repurpose your current tower DB651's as cockpit speakers if you have the space for them.

Godawgs313
01-16-2012, 04:15 PM
David,

After checking out your website I believe I am going go with the exile 6.5, simple because of the 70.00 difference per pair. Will these still provide some of the upgrades found in the wetsounds?

EarmarkMarine
01-16-2012, 05:33 PM
Godawgs313,
Yes, there are some similarities in those two speakers like the full 1-inch metal dome and the grill-mounted tweeters. PM or email me for specifics such as packaged multiples which I will not cover here.

David
Earmark Marine

swatguy
01-24-2012, 03:34 AM
I have done the value upgrades over the years. Went from standard 6.5's to MB Quart 6.5's to Krypt 6.5 HLCD's, then to Pro 80's(which were stolen) and now currently at the Rev 8's. Upgrading to the XS650's, Momo's, or Memphis is olny going to help the sound near your boat in a party/ lounging enviornment. You are wasting your money if you are wanting to upgrade in order to get sounds back to the end of the rope. Those options just wont get it there.

Do you know the measurements of you cans?. The easiest solution for HLCD's is to get drop in 6.5 HLCD's from Krypt Audio if you find them on sale, I stress on sale, usually have ebay deals from time to time. Depending on the depth and cutout opening they may just be the ticket and drop right in. They are HLCD's so it will project way more than the Polks you have and be able to be heard at 80ft. They are similar sounding and designed to Wetsounds Pro 60's. While you will loose some mid/bass close in and around the boat, in order to achieve sound at 80ft without going to a Wetsounds Pro 80 or REV 8 its the best cost efficient way get the best results at 80ft if you find them for a deal. However seeing you will need 4 of them to fill your speakers you are just not going to be saving that much cash nor getting better sound than running 2 Wetsounds Pro 80's instead or Exile XM7's. There were several used pairs of Pro 80's in the classifieds as well as a couple 80's and XM7's for sale over on Wakeworld. You would be much better served picking up a pair of those used Pro 80's or &XM7's if you can't find the Krypts at a deal.

Come spring I am willing to bet you are going to see more stereo stuff up for sale on the boards as I am sure there were a ton of people who upgraded/made the switch to the new Revolution Series speakers from Wetsounds over the Christmas months.