PDA

View Full Version : F-150 eco-boost....any owner reviews?

Jerseydave
01-12-2012, 08:51 PM
I've heard good things about these trucks, just wanted to get some real-owner opinions.

Any problems, complaints, recalls, service bulletins, etc.?

What's your fuel economy (solo and towing)?

jakethebt
01-12-2012, 09:47 PM
I donít have an answer but am interested too... i guess everyone that pulls a trailer is a bit interested. However, I will not be dipping into the Ford technology well anytime soon. The last wave of ford truck technology took some time before people realized how bad it sucked. Specifically the 5.4 liter with the variable valve timing. The cam phasers and solenoid valves are all trouble. They say they sorted it out in the later model years, but my '06 still sounds like crap at idle. It sounds like the lifters are constantly in need of adjustment. Also if the oil gets dirty, the solenoids donít like it very well and that adjusts the timing so it runs like junk until you change the oil. I donít even want to talk about the $800 spark plug changes or the trannys that need replaced because of the OD issues.

Remember the days when we had iron blocks, iron heads and strong transmissions? The truck drove for ever. It may have look terrible, but it still ran. Now the bodies look great and the engines and transmissions need so much work you can hardly afford to keep them...

tommcat
01-13-2012, 07:51 AM
I donít have an answer but am interested too... i guess everyone that pulls a trailer is a bit interested. However, I will not be dipping into the Ford technology well anytime soon. The last wave of ford truck technology took some time before people realized how bad it sucked. Specifically the 5.4 liter with the variable valve timing. The cam phasers and solenoid valves are all trouble. They say they sorted it out in the later model years, but my '06 still sounds like crap at idle. It sounds like the lifters are constantly in need of adjustment. Also if the oil gets dirty, the solenoids donít like it very well and that adjusts the timing so it runs like junk until you change the oil. I donít even want to talk about the $800 spark plug changes or the trannys that need replaced because of the OD issues.

Remember the days when we had iron blocks, iron heads and strong transmissions? The truck drove for ever. It may have look terrible, but it still ran. Now the bodies look great and the engines and transmissions need so much work you can hardly afford to keep them...

The VCT issues with the 5.4 are almost always directly related to poor maintenance and/or aftermarket oil filters. not saying we dont still have some issues with well maintained trucks but not many.

that said, the ecoboost has been great for my customers so far. enough so that i'm ordering a new one for myself in the spring.

03 35th Anniversary
01-13-2012, 09:03 AM
I've heard good things about these trucks, just wanted to get some real-owner opinions.

I bought my wife one back in Nov. http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=44825

I haven't towed anything with it yet. It doesn't feel short of power at all.

It runs and gets better mileage than my brother's new 5.3L Chevrolet with the active fuel management.

She is getting about 17mpg driving to and from Dallas everyday in traffic.

GT500 MC
01-13-2012, 09:21 AM

Have a '11 F150 FX4 with the EcoBoost. Absolutely love it. Fuel economy on highway averaging around 75mph I was able to get 19-21, and I only have 600 miles on it so it may improve slightly as it gets broken in. Have not hauled MC yet on highway, just around a few blocks to see how it pulls. Seems to have all the power I could ever need.

This is my first truck in years so I don't have a lot to compare it to, but I wish I would have bought one of these years ago.

btw - Nice Platinum 35th Anniv.

03 35th Anniversary
01-13-2012, 11:02 AM
btw - Nice Platinum 35th Anniv.

Oh it's not mine, it's my wife's. I just get to fund the money for the payments!

Turnandburn
01-13-2012, 12:01 PM
I purchased a 2011 F-150 with Ecoboost last May and have towed my PS 197 about 1200 miles with no issues of concerns. I don't need a truck very often as my boat is moored on a boat lift in a covered slip near my house so I decided to form a LLC with a friend of mine and we each own 50% of the company. Co-ownership cut my payments in half and we have had no issues sharing the truck! We plan to allocate maintenance and repair costs based on miles used. We purchased an extended warranty.

dtc
01-13-2012, 12:42 PM
Here's a couple of threads from similar questions, thoughts, and opinions on another few forums ...

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=790129

within the above thread there is a link to this thread from the EcoBoost forum ...

http://fordecoboostforum.com/index.php?/topic/240-f150-ecoboost-problems/

I'm still hoping to pick one up this coming spring, however am asking as many owners as possible and reading as much as possible due to the concerns on the EcoBoost forum.

Hope that helps ...

east tx skier
01-13-2012, 03:45 PM

2001 5.4L Expedition here with 110K miles. Other than the periodic ignition coil failure and a vacuum leak, it has run like a champ. Knocking wood.

tommcat
01-13-2012, 06:37 PM
2001 5.4L Expedition here with 110K miles. Other than the periodic ignition coil failure and a vacuum leak, it has run like a champ. Knocking wood.

different 5.4 than the one he's talking about. you are correct on yours, relatively problem free engines. completely nutless but fairly reliable, cant wait to upgrade from my 02 to the ecoboost.

east tx skier
01-14-2012, 09:29 PM
different 5.4 than the one he's talking about. you are correct on yours, relatively problem free engines. completely nutless but fairly reliable, cant wait to upgrade from my 02 to the ecoboost.

Yeah, other than the coils. Finally just had them all replaced since my back two were the most recent culprits.

So, on the Ecoboost, how are they getting a turbocharged engine with a 10.5:1 or 11:1 (I forget which) to run on 87. Scratch that, I know it will run on 87, but how is that the recommended fuel? I don't think it even says "may sacrifice power" in the manual I read.

My little VW with the 2.0T is 93 Octane no ifs ands or buts about it.

Yes, I realize that if they said it had to have 93 octane, no one would probably buy one (or they'd just put 87 in it).

03geetee
01-15-2012, 06:30 AM
Eastie,

They are able to do it based on direct injection versus traditional fuel injection. As we all know any sort of traditional injection prior to ignition on the compression stroke in a hot motor or higher compression motor, can lead to detonation. This is especially true with forced induction, however the game has changed. The direct injection model is simple, inject fuel at ridiculously high pressure at the critical point right before the power stroke begins so fuel has no time to become volatile or pre ignite leading to detonation.

However even without direct injection *which is awesome* modern tuning and computers have been able to unlock the problems of previously not being able to run boost with a higher compression lower end. Example my engine in my 03 Mustang makes north of 525hp on only 9psi of boost pressure (intercooled) on a lower end making 9:5:1 compression. Back in the day everyone who added a blower dropped the compression well into the 8s because due to lack of knowledge and detonation issues motors would lose ringlands and pistons would come apart. Now I am tossing the idea of going into the 10:X:X range because people can tune for this properly. The benefit is a motor that makes more power when you are not into boost and when the boost comes on it makes even more, safely.

Hope this helps!

JTR

east tx skier
01-15-2012, 09:51 AM
Interesting, the TSI motor on my VW is direct injected as well. Still, I've got to spring for the expensive stuff. Gets good mileage though.

GT500 MC
02-13-2012, 11:09 AM
Update....have put a few miles on my EcoBoost in the past month and it's been great. Only complaint is the shift points with the 6-speed transmission. At about 40-42 mph, it's already gone into 6th gear. The truck just constantly feels like it's shifting gears (luckily it's very smooth when shifting however). When I remember, I use the tow/haul mode as it stretches the shifting out, and I don't hit 6th gear until about 55mph. Still playing around with gear-limiter for city driving.

It has pull and pick-up like a V8 though....:D

tommcat
02-13-2012, 12:03 PM
Update....have put a few miles on my EcoBoost in the past month and it's been great. Only complaint is the shift points with the 6-speed transmission. At about 40-42 mph, it's already gone into 6th gear. The truck just constantly feels like it's shifting gears (luckily it's very smooth when shifting however). When I remember, I use the tow/haul mode as it stretches the shifting out, and I don't hit 6th gear until about 55mph. Still playing around with gear-limiter for city driving.

It has pull and pick-up like a V8 though....:D

what year?

GT500 MC
02-13-2012, 02:57 PM
what year?

tommcat
02-13-2012, 03:53 PM

there are a couple reflashes for the PCM that address a few different shifting concerns, there is also an updated set of shift solenoids for a 2-3 shift flare, 4-5 shift flare, harsh or delayed reverse engagement but that is a little different than what you described, and that is only for build dates before 12/20/2010.

if you want to pm me your VIN i can run it to see if the TSB's apply to your truck

tom

GT500 MC
02-13-2012, 06:33 PM
there are a couple reflashes for the PCM that address a few different shifting concerns, there is also an updated set of shift solenoids for a 2-3 shift flare, 4-5 shift flare, harsh or delayed reverse engagement but that is a little different than what you described, and that is only for build dates before 12/20/2010.

if you want to pm me your VIN i can run it to see if the TSB's apply to your truck

tom

pm sent.....

tommcat
02-13-2012, 08:04 PM
pm sent.....

back at'cha

dtc
02-13-2012, 08:57 PM
Hey Tom ... do you know if the TSB's/flashes/solenoids fix the issues concerns raised on the link to the EcoBoost forum above?

I'd love to hear that their issues are solved, specifically the 6th gear on a hill and accelerating to pass, and move forward with ordering one of these trucks!

TOO-TALL
02-13-2012, 09:50 PM
My father just ordered a eco-boost,f-150 supercrew.
I can't waot to see it.

tommcat
02-13-2012, 10:23 PM
Hey Tom ... do you know if the TSB's/flashes/solenoids fix the issues concerns raised on the link to the EcoBoost forum above?

I'd love to hear that their issues are solved, specifically the 6th gear on a hill and accelerating to pass, and move forward with ordering one of these trucks!the trans shift issues yes, the others no.
personally i think they shift pretty damn well once updated and the shift strategies are correctly relearned

tommcat
02-15-2012, 02:08 PM
just a little update. a brand new service bulletin was released this morning to address an intermittent engine surge under light to moderate load conditions at cruising speed. its for ALL ecoboost F150s built before 2/7/2012

P-hat_in_Cincy
06-21-2012, 09:57 AM
I'll be going from a 6.0L Powerstroke Excursion to th 3.5L Eco-boost. I'll post back my thoughts when I get some comparison time.

Hopefully should get it Friday and it should look tight towing the boat.

tommcat
06-21-2012, 12:39 PM
I got 22 mpg out of mine on a drive up to NH and back last weekend. all back roads, averaged around 50 mph up and down hills. i was pretty damn happy with that

Jerseydave
06-21-2012, 05:46 PM
I'll be going from a 6.0L Powerstroke Excursion to th 3.5L Eco-boost. I'll post back my thoughts when I get some comparison time.

Hopefully should get it Friday and it should look tight towing the boat.

P-hat is that Excursion for sale? (if so, Pm me with some specs, price)

03 35th Anniversary
06-21-2012, 06:42 PM
My wife and In-Laws took her's on a 4 hour trip to Oklahoma on fater's day and got 21mpg.

I have been using it to tow the 197 and it does a great job.