PDA

View Full Version : 85 Stars + Stripes - need cover. Where to buy?

Blue
08-08-2005, 09:44 PM
Hi all. I need to buy a new cover for our 85 Stars + Stripes. I have looked online and some sites SAY they have a cover for it, but does it really fit perfect?

Can anyone show me the way to the right cover for us? Thanks in advance.

ski_king
08-08-2005, 09:48 PM
I had mine custom made a few years ago. Since then I have seen a few places that can make them. I will see if I still have the link.

Oh yea, and welcome to the site!!

Blue
08-08-2005, 09:55 PM
So my suspicions are right... these boat cover sites are general boat covers (sizes) and not specifically for my 85. Figures.
If you can recall, let me know.

And thanks!!!

Cloaked
08-08-2005, 10:23 PM
So my suspicions are right... these boat cover sites are general boat covers (sizes) and not specifically for my 85. Figures.
If you can recall, let me know.

And thanks!!!In my opinion and observation, that is correct. PS82 can help ya' out if anyone can. I have an OEM furnished cover, as I have had on all of the Old Schoolers in which I have owned. With that being said, most of the OEM provided covers have Mastercraft stamped on the area that covers the windshield, have a nice heavy duty cinch cord that is sewn into the hem all the way around the cover, and fairly decent tie-down straps that tie to the brackets on the trailer. All-in-all, a nice cover. Just a descriptive narrative here to give you some sense of baseline information.

However, as experience has spoken with covers (to me) I don't trailer with a (mooring) cover. These covers I speak of are mooring covers. There is a distinct and life-span difference in a cover, between the two applications for trailering and mooring purposes. I have ripped a few to shreds before I figured it out... :D :D

ski_king
08-08-2005, 10:32 PM
http://www.skiboatcovers.com/boatstyle.php?manufacturer=mastercraft

BriEOD
08-09-2005, 08:42 AM
Ski boat covers.com makes an awesome product. I have one of their waterline covers and it was well worth the money. It even covers the teak platform.

BarefootWt
08-16-2005, 12:01 AM
My last 85 cover was ordered through the dealer which I thought was worth it given the infrequent need for a new one.

H20skeefreek
08-16-2005, 12:14 AM
Blue, I work for West Marine, we sell Taylor Made boat covers. I ordered one and it is a perfect fit for my '85. I'll get the part # for you and post it when i find it.

Double Overhead
08-17-2005, 03:46 AM
H20, let us know, I need one too!

H20skeefreek
08-17-2005, 07:30 AM
I forgot to check yesterday, it was CRAZZY yesterday. I sent myself an email to remind me to check it. I'll let you all know!

H20skeefreek
08-17-2005, 09:03 PM
Taylor made part #67198 West Marine retail of $234.99

sfitzgerald351
08-18-2005, 12:37 AM
What fabric is that Taylor Made cover made out of? Looking at the price I can't believe it'd be anything other than a treated canvas or some sort of unbreathable fabric. Both have drawbacks. But for the price, if it's breathable it could be a good deal as long as you can protect it from getting inundated so much the water pools in the cover. I really like the Sunbrella fabrics. Very water repellant, but breathable.

I have a cover custom made by Lohaus Covers in WI and it's awesome. Goes all the way under the boat, covers the swim platform, and has some nice vents to help it breathe. Sunbrella fabric. It was a bit pricey, but totally worth it. About $650 if I recall. Google Lohaus and you'll find his number. He can get a friend's boat to measure so it'll fit perfect.

H20skeefreek
08-18-2005, 08:19 AM
It's their canvas duck material. A light weight treated canvas. It works very well as long as water isn't allowed to pool. Taylor made has many materials they can build with, so I would imagine they can provide any material in this pattern.