ski/hunt
01-11-2012, 12:02 PM
Few more......

ski/hunt
01-11-2012, 12:08 PM
Almost forgot...

76S&S
01-11-2012, 12:15 PM
I assume the staples were for one or more of the dogs?

thatsmrmastercraft
01-11-2012, 12:40 PM
Well done, sir.

Those staples can come in handy on humans too.:rolleyes:

gatorguy
01-11-2012, 12:45 PM
What a great trip!

2RLAKE
01-11-2012, 01:13 PM
wow ... sounds great

where did you go?

dstone124
01-11-2012, 03:31 PM
how do those hogs taste? We've got a shoot on site order here in Southern Indiana / Illinois. It's got several of my buddies and myself excited for the opportunity!

lanep82
01-11-2012, 03:39 PM
Awesome pics and sounds like a great trip!

Makes my past weekend of hog hunting seem pretty dull! hah

pmkkdx
01-11-2012, 05:06 PM
those are some pretty healthy sized oinkers!!! and those tusks :eek: ... I saw the aftermath of what a large boar did with tusks like that to a horse when I was a kid and the rancher that was atop the horse spent the night up in a tree (gun was in a scabbard under the dead horse)...

they have become a very large problem down here in TX and most ranchers give orders to shoot on sight, even if you just leave them lay.

The meat is pretty good up to the 100-125 lbs size but once the boars get much larger than that, they get a real aweful gamey taste even to the most dedicated wildgame consumer.

good job!

Covi
01-11-2012, 05:20 PM
That is so awesome! You guys look like you had a great time!!! I can taste them now.

87MCProstar
01-12-2012, 08:23 AM
anyone watch Red Jacket on Discovery? They made a modified AR last week to hunt wild pig. Pretty crazy stuff. Those buggers are a menace.

2RLAKE
01-12-2012, 11:08 AM
i saw that and started drueling .... my son has one all picked out for me to buy!

DemolitionMan
01-12-2012, 11:12 AM
Nice Hogs:)

ski/hunt
01-12-2012, 12:27 PM
those are some pretty healthy sized oinkers!!! and those tusks :eek: ... I saw the aftermath of what a large boar did with tusks like that to a horse when I was a kid and the rancher that was atop the horse spent the night up in a tree (gun was in a scabbard under the dead horse)...

they have become a very large problem down here in TX and most ranchers give orders to shoot on sight, even if you just leave them lay.

The meat is pretty good up to the 100-125 lbs size but once the boars get much larger than that, they get a real aweful gamey taste even to the most dedicated wildgame consumer.

good job!

The meat of a Boar hog gets to be nasty the longer he lives with his reproductive equipment. This is the reason all our domestic meats are raised without the testosterone tainting the meat. Well the fellas in south Florida have made it a practice to catch younger boar hogs and do "in field" neutering. The first time I was witness to this practice I thought they were trying to control the population..... I was wrong they do it for the meat! The hog is called a Barr hog then. The lack of testosterone changes the animal. They pack on the fat and the shield a boar hog has starts to get soft. They even say the teeth get bigger...I think this happens because they no longer fight for sows, so the chance of them breaking their teeth from fighting is reduced so they get long and sharp faster. A Barr hog is a real trophy cause he is edible (or not just sausage)!! The other factor that makes a Barr hog a desired catch is they usually will run for awhile and then when they stop to fight they tend to be even nastier!!! Cause the last time dogs chased him and humans caught him he was ultimately violated!!
This is one of those "don't try this without the direction of someone experienced" situations.. If the cutting,squeezing, or slicing isn't dangerous enough the task of letting the beast go without him getting you will get your adrenaline going!!

So of the four we did kill, 3 were Barr hogs, one was a sow-- the other 4 hogs two were already Barr hogs we just let go. The other two were Boar hogs that we "cut" and are Barr hogs now and in around 6 months will be great to eat!!

pmkkdx
01-12-2012, 01:24 PM
Interesting!!! I have not heard of that practice being used before but it makes sense!!! Most ranchers in these parts just want them eradicated since the majority of the lands here is all private property and these critters tend to demolish fences which in turn creates extra work to maintain the domestic livestock on the correct property. I know I have to spend a lot of time mending fences on my ranch when I have cattle on it.

scott023
01-12-2012, 01:41 PM
That's quite the haul, and had a blast to boot. Very nice.

2RLAKE
01-12-2012, 08:39 PM
... so i guess i can now called prostar19 a Barr-footer

GT500 MC
01-13-2012, 09:12 AM
... so i guess i can now called prostar19 a Barr-footer

That's funny.

ski/hunt
03-22-2014, 11:40 PM
I like when work gets me close to some hunting....just a small one so far..
One more day to give it a try. Just love watching the dogs work

ski/hunt
03-22-2014, 11:43 PM
Barred him and let him go...107949107950107951

atihanyi
03-25-2014, 07:02 PM
My wife and I are die bow hunters and looked into doing this a few years ago in Texas and got quite the shock . These things are such a menace that I believe its legal to shoot them from a helicopter yet when you want to go down there and hunt them you end up paying a trespass fee of a couple hundred bucks . Then when you do connect you pay several hundred dollars per pig. Didn't make any sense !

Cloaked
03-25-2014, 07:24 PM
This guy Ski/Hunt is the huntingest guy I know. No guns or bows for these hogs. He runs them down and cuts their nuts off....no ifs, ands, or buts... just nuts... He's not telling the whole story....

True pictures right from the man himself....

uplander
03-25-2014, 09:39 PM
cool, was this in Florida

ski/hunt
03-26-2014, 06:09 PM
All the hog hunting I've done so far has been in Florida. Mostly on the Big Cypress Seminole Indian reservation...

pmkkdx
03-26-2014, 06:19 PM
My wife and I are die bow hunters and looked into doing this a few years ago in Texas and got quite the shock . These things are such a menace that I believe its legal to shoot them from a helicopter yet when you want to go down there and hunt them you end up paying a trespass fee of a couple hundred bucks . Then when you do connect you pay several hundred dollars per pig. Didn't make any sense !

you can find outfitters that just charge by the day/weekend for a (almost) nominal fee. Since hogs are not native, you can hunt them year around here. Same with various exotics (axis, black buck, fallow, etc.) but those prices jump quite drastically.

Let me know if/when you want to come down and I can find you a hunt for a couple hundred bucks each that will get you as many hogs as you can shoot (if you see any, they travel based on hunting pressure, food, water, etc.). Where the cost will also get you is the cost of the out of state hunting license.

2RLAKE
03-26-2014, 06:51 PM
This guy Ski/Hunt is the huntingest guy I know. No guns or bows for these hogs. He runs them down and cuts their nuts off....no ifs, ands, or buts... just nuts... He's not telling the whole story....

True pictures right from the man himself....

OK we need the full story here ... my son and i are in the non-hunt season and missing the thrill of the chase

let me start it for you

So there I was, true story no SH&^, ______________ now fill in the blank please!

I need to hear a good hunting story!

atihanyi
03-26-2014, 06:52 PM
you can find outfitters that just charge by the day/weekend for a (almost) nominal fee. Since hogs are not native, you can hunt them year around here. Same with various exotics (axis, black buck, fallow, etc.) but those prices jump quite drastically.

Let me know if/when you want to come down and I can find you a hunt for a couple hundred bucks each that will get you as many hogs as you can shoot (if you see any, they travel based on hunting pressure, food, water, etc.). Where the cost will also get you is the cost of the out of state hunting license.

I may just have to take you up on your very generous offer if deer hunting is as bad as I think its going to be up here after this long nasty winter .:D

thatsmrmastercraft
03-26-2014, 07:00 PM
OK we need the full story here ... my son and i are in the non-hunt season and missing the thrill of the chase

let me start it for you

So there I was, true story no SH&^, ______________ now fill in the blank please!

I need to hear a good hunting story!

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn: