PDA

View Full Version : Removing oil bath hub

jamie197
01-10-2012, 07:32 AM
G'day, have just recently imported a Prostar 197 to Australia, and no one here uses oil bath hub assemblies. I have a 2004 model, with mastercraft trailer, and the see through cap/bearing protector on this single axle trailer, has machined grooves that run around the cap, not accross it as such. There is a post with same hubs as what I have at http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=40917&page=2
I am trying to find out how to remove the oil filled caps, and if they screw off, or are a pressed fit??

ANy info would be greatly appreciated.

Jamie.

CantRepeat
01-10-2012, 07:57 AM
My 06 has screw on see-through caps.

g-mantrix
01-10-2012, 07:59 AM
Where in Aus are u located?

jamie197
01-28-2012, 08:11 AM
Where in Aus are u located?

G'day,

Hadnt checked back on here since another bloke here in Aust had some spare caps lying around from his previous MC, so I bought them off him! Only just did them on Friday, and his caps were similar in looks, but I just noticed his pics were for a 5 stud hub, not 6 like mine, which means his are smaller diameter, and useless to me!!
I just hammered the oil bath caps off, as gently as one can hammer anything that is press fitted. Managed to find bearings from CBC bearings, and seals to fit. Had to polish seal surface on axle, as old ones wore in a groove, but new seals lips have slightly different position, so should provide a good seal. Test will be next weekend when I drop it in the water, as dam is 60km out of Darwin!

hbomb
01-29-2012, 03:36 AM
Manton Dam...........nice spot!