PDA

View Full Version : Rudder Seal

obsessed
01-10-2012, 02:43 AM
Hi I have a 2008 x2 which is new to me, there is water leaking in from the rudder, I assume the seals on the rudder have been worn and need replacing. Can anyone please tell me what kind of rudder box I have and where I can get the seal from? It looks like this...

http://mccollister.info/rudder/rudder2345.jpg

Ive searched around and read it is an ORing, in which case I guess I could get that from an autoparts store. Ive removed the rudder so far and not had time to have a proper look at where the seal is, I didnt see any ORings, which means im either wrong about the ORings or the previous owner didnt put it back together properly.

I also found this, is this the right kit?

http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RBST1.00-SEALKIT

mikeg205
01-10-2012, 09:54 AM
email skidim.com...they will be able to help... mine was leaking but stopped when I lubed... looks the same as my '95

obsessed
01-10-2012, 05:50 PM
Actually mine looks a bit different to the pic I posted.
Its like this... Seal seems to be completely worn away. Ill send it to skidim and see if they have something for me.

http://three30.com/IMG_0773.JPG

macattack
01-11-2012, 10:55 AM
Obsessed: If your rudder shaft moves back & forth/side to side in the port, most likely the seal is bad; it should fit pretty snug. As mentioned, sometimes greasing the shaft will help seal it better and prevent water from leaking in. You should grease the port/shaft annually anyways.

I believe your rudder port was made by OJ Props...I would send your pic to Eric and get his opinion...extremely helpful, super customer service! I just replaced my 2005 rudder port because of seal wear; the new one works great/no more water in the bilge! mac

ejojprop@aol.com
http://www.ojprops.com/contact

JimN
01-11-2012, 10:59 AM
Hi I have a 2008 x2 which is new to me, there is water leaking in from the rudder, I assume the seals on the rudder have been worn and need replacing. Can anyone please tell me what kind of rudder box I have and where I can get the seal from? It looks like this...

http://mccollister.info/rudder/rudder2345.jpg

Ive searched around and read it is an ORing, in which case I guess I could get that from an autoparts store. Ive removed the rudder so far and not had time to have a proper look at where the seal is, I didnt see any ORings, which means im either wrong about the ORings or the previous owner didnt put it back together properly.

I also found this, is this the right kit?

http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RBST1.00-SEALKIT

You won't see the O-rings until you remove the rudder if your model has them on the shaft, itself- they're closer to the top. Your first photo looks like the seal is at the top and will need to be removed. BTW- it doesn't look like anyone has greased it for quite a while, judging by the zerk.

obsessed
01-11-2012, 04:34 PM
There doesnt seem to be any Orings for this kind of rudder box. I spoke to my dealer he was very helpful, he sent me some pics of the parts. The seal is at the top.
For now I have greased it well, hopefully it will slow the leak until I can get over to my dealer to buy a new seal.

http://files.roguesquad.co.uk/rimage001.png

This is the seal, it can be pushed into the grey top part.
http://files.roguesquad.co.uk/rimage002.png

macattack
01-11-2012, 09:11 PM
How much is the new seal from your dealer?

obsessed
01-12-2012, 03:42 AM
Around $65 for the seal
I live in the middle east, we only have one dealer in the region in Dubai, I have found most things to be overpriced from them, I could order the parts from the US for cheaper (including shipping), but the dealer was very helpful so I will just get it from him in this case.
The rudder box is almost $400 compared to $170 at skidim.

CantRepeat
01-12-2012, 07:04 AM
Around $65 for the seal
I live in the middle east, we only have one dealer in the region in Dubai, I have found most things to be overpriced from them, I could order the parts from the US for cheaper (including shipping), but the dealer was very helpful so I will just get it from him in this case.
The rudder box is almost $400 compared to $170 at skidim.

lol, maybe the dealer should shop at skidim!!

Good luck with your repair.

ttu
05-07-2012, 04:08 PM
anyone had any idea of how hard it is to remove the seal pictured above?

JimN
05-07-2012, 04:19 PM
anyone had any idea of how hard it is to remove the seal pictured above?

You'll need a snap ring pliers. Whether you'll need a seal puller depends on the design. If you do, any auto parts store or Harbor Freight will have them. You may be able to work it out with a slotted screwdriver, too.

bturner2
05-08-2012, 10:38 AM
I ordered one from Eric at OJ for less than $65 and have it sitting on the work bench. Was waiting to see if anyone would bite the bullet and do the installation before I did mind. My boat's on the shorestation now so it'll be at least a month before I take a shot at mine.

ttu
05-10-2012, 07:18 PM
well i got my in via ups today. hopefully tackle the project next week. bought mine thru ski dim.

pm me for price.

ttu
05-14-2012, 10:33 AM
tomorrow i am going to attempt to replace the seal. any advise before i give this a shot?

thanks.

BrooksfamX2
05-14-2012, 10:39 AM
Mine was leaking a lot, shot it full of marine grease and it sealed it up pretty good. Spent the weekend on the lake and only got a couple of drops of water through it.

bturner2
05-14-2012, 11:28 AM
tomorrow i am going to attempt to replace the seal. any advise before i give this a shot?

thanks.

Soooo. Did you get a chance to tackle this? I've got mine sitting on the workbench waiting to hear how it went.

ttu
05-14-2012, 11:34 AM
i am going to tackle it tomorrow afternoon. hope it all goes well.

Deltaxstar
05-14-2012, 09:27 PM
I ordered my seal from Eric at oj for $25 shipped to ca.

ttu
05-29-2012, 12:42 PM
You'll need a snap ring pliers. Whether you'll need a seal puller depends on the design. If you do, any auto parts store or Harbor Freight will have them. You may be able to work it out with a slotted screwdriver, too.

jim, thanks for you assistance. got it done and it wasn't that bad of a job with the exception of "never buy cheap snap ring pliers"! :D

anyway not a single drip in the bilge. also thanks to all who gave great advice.

Grant777
05-15-2013, 09:00 AM
ttu,

Is there any specific grease I need to use. I'm going to attempt this on Friday. Can you send me a parts lists so I can cover my bases before I remove the rudder and sit there cursing. I've got the pliers, I guess I need a new cotter pin and a grease gun?

Thanks in advance.

ttu
05-15-2013, 09:51 AM
ttu,

Is there any specific grease I need to use. I'm going to attempt this on Friday. Can you send me a parts lists so I can cover my bases before I remove the rudder and sit there cursing. I've got the pliers, I guess I need a new cotter pin and a grease gun?

Thanks in advance.

skidim part number 82908 is the seal. i used marine grease. when i lowered the rudder i used a jack and lowered the rudder just enought to clear the seal. after replacing the seal just raise the rudder back up. also buy some good snap ring plyers. cheap ones make this job a bit#$.

Grant777
05-15-2013, 10:41 AM
Thanks pal. Finding any quality tools in Dubai is a mission but I'm sure I'll manage. Do I need bent nose pliers or will straight nose ones work?

ttu
05-15-2013, 10:54 AM
you will need a seal puller also. those are cheap.

Grant777
05-15-2013, 11:57 AM
Something like this? 95002

ttu
05-15-2013, 11:58 AM
^^ that's it!^^^

Grant777
05-19-2013, 06:34 AM
Reporting back: mixed success. Pulled the seal which was dry and corroded, looks like it had never been greased. The grease zerk was totally corroded and appears to be cross threaded in the rudder port. Managed to clean it up and get it to function sufficiently to grease the seal but will need to replace it. I'm hoping its a standard size. If the threads are stripped on the port I guess I'm going to have to pull it off to retread it since there isn't enough space in that evil cave of unhappiness behind the engine. Water tested and no leaks from the rudder but still an inch or two of water in the boat. Shaft seal next I suspect.

snork
05-19-2013, 09:20 AM
check the hose connection between the two exhaust headers make sure they're tight
Check connections at fresh water pump and back to hull intake including ball valve and tranny cooler
check all hose clamps

Grant777
05-20-2013, 03:57 AM
The saga continues and my confusion grows. This is what my rudder port looks like:

And remember this is a salt water series boat. I questioned my dealer as to why it had not been greased as per the manual at the 100hr service and this was his reply:

"This is a salt water series boat. Even if you try to grease the inside of
the seal thru the grease fitting you cannot. The only way is by pulling the
rudder out then grease it from the inside - you should have seen that when
you pulled out the old seal. We do not as a matter of policy pull the
rudder out except when necessary."

When I pulled the rusted zerk out it had been screwed through the rubberized covering and was totally blocked with the rubber material. I dug it out and clean it up and put it back in. The thread on the zerk was shot so I will have to find a suitable replacement.

I am having a hard time figuring whether my dealer is correct or just making excuses?

Thanks again for all the replies and advise.

JimN
05-20-2013, 09:39 AM
The saga continues and my confusion grows. This is what my rudder port looks like:

And remember this is a salt water series boat. I questioned my dealer as to why it had not been greased as per the manual at the 100hr service and this was his reply:

"This is a salt water series boat. Even if you try to grease the inside of
the seal thru the grease fitting you cannot. The only way is by pulling the
rudder out then grease it from the inside - you should have seen that when
you pulled out the old seal. We do not as a matter of policy pull the
rudder out except when necessary."

When I pulled the rusted zerk out it had been screwed through the rubberized covering and was totally blocked with the rubber material. I dug it out and clean it up and put it back in. The thread on the zerk was shot so I will have to find a suitable replacement.

I am having a hard time figuring whether my dealer is correct or just making excuses?

Thanks again for all the replies and advise.

I would either call MC or another (maybe more than one) salt water dealer and ask if they lube this as a matter of normal maintenance. It was greased at the factory and it should have been greased after 100 hours, IMO (no experience with salt water, though). The grease not only lubricates the rudder, it displaces water when new grease is injected.

Grant777
06-12-2013, 11:24 PM
Well I spoke to a few dealers and they all seem to confirm that even the SS rudder ports need greasing and so that's what I did. I replaced the grease fitting and greased it until it shot out the bottom of the hull. Two results. Super smooth steering and no water leak. Since the grease fitting is stripped my OCD requires me to pull the whole rudder port off at a later date and replace but this job looks fairly straight forward. Am I correct in assuming that 3M 4000 fast cure sealant is the one to use?

ZachDaddy
06-24-2013, 08:59 AM
You should try to re-tap the threads of the grease port before replacing it. If the original hole size is not repairable then I'd look in to going up one size in grease fitting.

ZachDaddy
06-24-2013, 09:06 AM
Oh and I bought a tube of corrosion preventing marine grease and filled my rudder box full this weekend.

Stopped my water leak that had been driving my MCOCD into a full facial twitch.

Kell
07-02-2013, 02:18 AM
Oh and I bought a tube of corrosion preventing marine grease and filled my rudder box full this weekend.

Stopped my water leak that had been driving my MCOCD into a full facial twitch.

ZachDaddy, thanks for the info. Greased my rudder zirk this evening as well. Question though, I read that you should also grease the steering cable near the rudder/steering cable. I could not see a zirk fitting anywhere in that area. Did see a bracket about a foot back from the rudder arm on the steering cable, I could feel 3 bolts but its right under the alternator so I could not get a clear view. You would have to be 3 feet tall and arms of six feet to get in there. Any ideas?

09 x2, MCX.

Sent from my iPad 2 3G using Tapatalk

sand2snow22
07-02-2013, 02:24 AM
Kell, have someone move the steering wheel back and forth while you look down at the steering cable near where it attaches to the rudder arm. You will see the cable going in and out of that bracket. Grease the part that goes in and out. We just paint on marine grease with a brush!

I will be up on Friday! You up there?

Kell
07-02-2013, 02:37 AM
Thanks S2S, I'll give that a try. The cable that attaches to the rudder arm looks clean, no rust or grease residue, so it prob needs some fresh grease. I'll do that Tuesday. Yes, we are headed up to PL wed through Sunday. So looking forward to it.

Sent from my iPad 2 3G using Tapatalk