PDA

View Full Version : Bottom paint HELP!

51timber
01-09-2012, 10:06 PM
So I purchased a 2003 x30. Nice boat with 110 hrs on it. The only problem is that the boat has old bottom paint since the guy would keep it in long island sound for August 3 times. It looks like the hull was never sanded down, but rather they used a primer the then the ablative bottom paint. Id like to restore it to a factory finish. I am thinking of having it soda blasted to remove the bottom paint. What should I do from there to restore the original appearence? Any suggestions would be appreciated. My only guess was to wet sand??? Also do you think the gel coat will be staind???

Thank you

BrooksfamX2
01-09-2012, 10:56 PM
Take it to a shop that does gelcoat work. I'm having a few scratches taken care of soon. They said it would look like new when finished.

Holman J.B.F
01-10-2012, 06:15 PM
if it is a 1 part primer you might wash it of with acetone or a thinner and polish it.
you,ll need lots of acetone/thinner and lots of old rags
and some elbow grease,..wear eye protection and a mask.
worth a try.

there is a product called interstrip for bottom paint removal,.europe brand is international,..but i think it is called inter in the US..but it requires some scraping with an putty knife,...wetsand the fine scratches and polish.
works best if you apply it with a brush and cover it with some kitchen plastick foil,..this way it penetrates better before drying out.

just hope the PO did not sand the hull.
do not use interstrip when your boat is on a trailer,..it will eat the paint on the trailer.

mikeg205
01-10-2012, 06:51 PM
So I purchased a 2003 x30. Nice boat with 110 hrs on it. The only problem is that the boat has old bottom paint since the guy would keep it in long island sound for August 3 times. It looks like the hull was never sanded down, but rather they used a primer the then the ablative bottom paint. Id like to restore it to a factory finish. I am thinking of having it soda blasted to remove the bottom paint. What should I do from there to restore the original appearence? Any suggestions would be appreciated. My only guess was to wet sand??? Also do you think the gel coat will be staind???

Thank you

Post some pics please... that's weird and '03 - wonder why they painted... hmmmm