PDA

View Full Version : downtown Chicago steakhouse?

94PS190
01-09-2012, 10:25 AM
I am heading into Chicago this weekend for the boat show. I am looking for a good steakhouse to try on sat night. Any recomendations? I have tried Benny's, Mortons, Gibsons and Ditka's and Joes. I guess it wouldn't have to be a steakhouse, but I nice place...

scott023
01-09-2012, 10:59 AM
HUGO'S FROG BAR AND FISH HOUSE.

Had the best meal of my life there. Twice. Unbelievable food.

http://hugosfrogbar.com/

mikeg205
01-09-2012, 11:13 AM
HUGO'S FROG BAR AND FISH HOUSE.

Had the best meal of my life there. Twice. Unbelievable food.

http://hugosfrogbar.com/

no...no...no....

Gene and Giorgetti's or the Prime House....sorry but Hugo's and Gibson's just average upper end... Gene and Giorgetti's - wet aged beef.... Prime House dry aged beef....

and don't forget Gino's East, Uno's or Lou Malnati's for the best tasting and artery clogging deep dish pizza on the planet.

scott023
01-09-2012, 11:23 AM
no...no...no....

Gene and Giorgetti's or the Prime House....sorry but Hugo's and Gibson's just average upper end... Gene and Giorgetti's - wet aged beef.... Prime House dry aged beef....

and don't forget Gino's East, Uno's or Lou Malnati's for the best tasting and artery clogging deep dish pizza on the planet.

C'mon now. You've got to be kidding.

CantRepeat
01-09-2012, 11:32 AM
Dry aged beef is soooooooooooo overrated it's not even funny to listen to anymore. You get less meat without any added flavors.

OT: but add to the list of overrated steak houses - The Strip House in Las Vegas.

JimN
01-09-2012, 12:06 PM
I am heading into Chicago this weekend for the boat show. I am looking for a good steakhouse to try on sat night. Any recomendations? I have tried Benny's, Mortons, Gibsons and Ditka's and Joes. I guess it wouldn't have to be a steakhouse, but I nice place...

If you like prime rib, there's always Lawry's. Ruth's Criss is out a ways, but I have heard good things about them. Harry Caray's is still there and, although I have only been there once, it was very good. Fortunately, I didn't have to pay.

94PS190
01-09-2012, 12:34 PM
Im leaning towards Harry Caray"s. I'm a life long Cub fan, Maybe I should try it out?

No Skeez
01-09-2012, 12:55 PM
We recently entertained some customers at Mastro's Steakhouse on Dearborn. Convenient location and excellent food all around. Out of our table of six, four (including myself) ordered the Ahi Tuna Sashimi Style and none of us left disappointed. Our sides included Lobster Mashed Potatoes, Gorgonzola Mac & Cheese and Creamed Spinach, and once again, none of us were disappointed.

http://www.mastrosrestaurants.com/Locations/IL/71-Chicago-Main/Default.aspx

jamisonsbrodie
01-09-2012, 01:02 PM
What about Joe's? Topnotch IMO.

Edit,

Sorry, didn't see that you have already been there. Nevermind

Rockman
01-09-2012, 01:30 PM
Im leaning towards Harry Caray"s. I'm a life long Cub fan, Maybe I should try it out?

Don't waste your time. HC's is NOT a steak house by any means...more like family cooking if anything.

Ruth Chris is my favorite. You will not be disappointed.

Another good one is the Chop House. Never had a bad steak there. Friend of mine works there.

JimN
01-09-2012, 01:35 PM

I had the New York Strip with peppercorns- it was excellent.

fstaslp
01-09-2012, 01:52 PM
Check out the original Rosebud. It is amazing food.

http://rosebudrestaurants.com/rest1.php

trickskier
01-09-2012, 02:28 PM

I've been to Chicago many times. My suggestion is the Chicago Chop House! Link below:

http://www.chicagochophouse.com/

Plymouth Family Guy
01-09-2012, 02:30 PM
I have had a couple great meals at the Erie Cafe. It is an Italian steakhouse. It is a ways from Downtown, but worth it in my opinion.

www.eriecafe.com

94PS190
01-09-2012, 04:51 PM
Thanks guys. Appreciate the help.

bbymgr
01-09-2012, 05:04 PM
I'll 2nd the Chop House. Great NY Strip.

CantRepeat
01-09-2012, 05:27 PM
Just got off the phone with a friend.

Steak Morton's off of Rush street (the original)

Prime Rib Lawry's

Drinks Taver's for drinks

Filet on the bone Joe's Seafood

madcityskier
01-09-2012, 06:05 PM
Gene and Giorgetti's is good. For the buck my family and I have always had a great time and great food at Fogo de Chao. Been to several Ruth's Chris retaraunts and never been dissappointed as well. Last time we went to Ginos East we were very dissappointed.

mikeg205
01-09-2012, 06:46 PM
C'mon now. You've got to be kidding.

absolutely not...I live here and have entertained many a client at all these places... got the most mileage at the the ones I listed...

Personally, I like to grill my own meat... Harry Caray's - Good, Ruth Chris - Better.... I'm a real picky eater and when you hit a bunch of them you get to see the differences...

Hey scott, don't you guys put cheese and gravy on fries up north? :):):):)

mikeg205
01-09-2012, 06:52 PM
Dry aged beef is soooooooooooo overrated it's not even funny to listen to anymore. You get less meat without any added flavors.

OT: but add to the list of overrated steak houses - The Strip House in Las Vegas.

dry aged... without added flavors?...lol...you must not have had the 72 day old meat...(yuck) as described by the owner and chef.... a bit gamey...with a bleu cheese finish....road kill anyone?

I agree overrated...but its a different taste... all the others taste the same. The chop house is good but again...that same chicago flavor...great ambiance...expensive drinks and typical food...

My call is do something you can't somewhere else....local and eclectic.... so many restaurants...so little time...

Grand Lux on michigan avenue has the same great steak as the chains...(its a cheese cake factory on steroids).

Very good but different is Vivo on west randolph....italian eclectic.

ddanenberger
01-09-2012, 07:25 PM
Come on no one is even concidering Gibson's?

mikeg205
01-09-2012, 08:02 PM
Gibson's - just good... not great... right next door to hugo frog's so it's counted... :D Gibson's Harry Caray's - same - just darker... I am not saying its sub par... but its good not all that memorable if you're headed to chicago and want to do something memorable...or eat something memorable...

ddanenberger
01-09-2012, 08:05 PM
GT fish and Oyster is newer and recieve a michelin starr. The boca group has a few other interesting places, but this one is good for seafood and has a great wine list.

Not steak, but great Chicago food

mzito
01-09-2012, 09:46 PM
Tango Sur
1032 reviewsRating Details
Categories: Steakhouses, Argentine [Edit]
3763 N Southport Ave
(between Waveland Ave & Grace St)
Chicago, IL 60613
Neighborhood: Lakeview
(773) 477-5466
www.tangosur.net

***Best meat ever!!!!*** worth the wait, very cool atmosphere (very dark).

93Prostar190
01-09-2012, 10:07 PM
Ditkas , gene and georgettis , the saloon by the Hancock tower ...... TheSaloon is pure steakhouse by the mag mile.

scott023
01-10-2012, 09:04 AM
Come on no one is even concidering Gibson's?

I hear you. Gibson was amazing when we went there.

And someone bashed on Hugos. What's going on around here?

scott023
01-10-2012, 09:05 AM
Gibson's - just good... not great... right next door to hugo frog's so it's counted... :D Gibson's Harry Caray's - same - just darker... I am not saying its sub par... but its good not all that memorable if you're headed to chicago and want to do something memorable...or eat something memorable...

You can probably give your opinion, without bashing others. Just sayin. I disagree with your opinion on Hugos, BIG TIME.

mikeg205
01-10-2012, 09:08 AM
You can probably give your opinion, without bashing others. Just sayin. I disagree with your opinion on Hugos, BIG TIME.

If that was bashing...sorry - did not mean too.

94PS190
01-10-2012, 09:43 AM
I have been to Gibsons a few times, just wanted to try someplace new. I was very satisfied there.

CantRepeat
01-10-2012, 09:47 AM
dry aged... without added flavors?...lol...you must not have had the 72 day old meat...(yuck) as described by the owner and chef.... a bit gamey...with a bleu cheese finish....road kill anyone?

I agree overrated...but its a different taste... all the others taste the same. The chop house is good but again...that same chicago flavor...great ambiance...expensive drinks and typical food...

My call is do something you can't somewhere else....local and eclectic.... so many restaurants...so little time...

Grand Lux on michigan avenue has the same great steak as the chains...(its a cheese cake factory on steroids).

Very good but different is Vivo on west randolph....italian eclectic.

The problem, more often then not, is people think the only seasoning you can put on a steak is salt and pepper, which is why they all taste the same.

scott023
01-10-2012, 12:24 PM
If that was bashing...sorry - did not mean too.

I missed the smilie. My bad. :D

mikeg205
01-10-2012, 01:08 PM
I missed the smilie. My bad. :D

hey no prob...this place and all the people are great...except them spammers...

swatguy
01-10-2012, 11:49 PM
Ok being born here, live here and worke here in downtown are these days the od goodies are just that. Gibsons is a standby as is Tavern on Rush. Gibsons has gone down hill a bit. ITs really nite dependant on a real good steak.

Mastros is a newer place. Not only is their steak above average, their sides and desserts are top notch. Excellent.

Also the old standby of Joes Stone Crab. While primarily known for their stone crab (duh) their steaks are also to notch. Ruth Chris has become a place for well how shall I put it......undesireables these days. Especially on the weekends..always problems there.

If you guys are big into Bar B Q there is a newer place called Public House. Brisket is supposed to be top notch. I am not one for Bar B Q/ smoked stuff but it is one of the best downtown. It's a young business like crowd and has a bar as well with tables for food. The tappers are built into your table so you pic what you want and its supplied to your table.

The biggest problem is getting into Joes or any top resturaunt last minute on a weekend. However the frist 2-3weeks after new year are great times to sneak in. They are usually not that busy.

Also haven't heard any reviews or checked it out yet but the new Michael Jordans is open on Mich Ave

Maristar210
01-11-2012, 12:04 PM
An out of the way small place with great food is also www.saloonsteakhouse.com I have been there several times and always thought the food was awesome even though its a small locals place....

Turnandburn
01-11-2012, 12:13 PM
I might suggest The Purple Pig off Michigan Ave. near the Wrigley Building. Not a steakhouse but the meat menu is quite unique derived from my one and only enjoyable visit.

mikeg205
01-11-2012, 06:17 PM
Banderas on Michigan is a good place to eat - just north of wrigley building. Best yet grab a chicago magazine and see what 's new...might give you a nice choice of new restaurants....

dlamont
01-11-2012, 08:06 PM
Only been to Chicago once and had a great time at gene and georgettis. Food was great, service great, and since we were eating/drinking late the place was thinning out, some local comic got up from his table and did his stand up! Funny stuff at least what I remember. Great time!

Willski
01-11-2012, 10:46 PM
The problem, more often then not, is people think the only seasoning you can put on a steak is salt and pepper, which is why they all taste the same.

Hmmm. I tend to put absolutely nothing on my steaks when I cook at home, so I think most restaurant steaks are too overseasoned or sometimes even salty.

That being said, I have had a few decent steaks at Harry Caray's. Also had very good food at Shaw's Crab House. Crab and steak were both good.

03geetee
01-12-2012, 09:34 AM
Being a heavy meat eater (dont eat fruit/veggies/anything green) I have to agree with a previous poster that mentioned the fabulous Erie Cafe. Fantastic service, very nice atmosphere and valet parking pull up and walk in. Great meat selection and when you order be prepared not to finish because the portions are huge.

My last company I worked for had the annual Christmas party there when we still had em and man was I spoiled I miss those steaks!

I highly recommend hitting Tavern on Rush for another great place to have a drink, very busy place with lots to see outside (interesting nightlife at that intersection) been there a quiet a few times.

Hope you have fun!

JTR

94PS190
01-12-2012, 12:12 PM
Thanks guys, I have resevations @ Harry Carays. What are your favorite places for drinks and lunch. Thanks again.

bbymgr
01-12-2012, 05:30 PM
Sluggers!!

swatguy
01-12-2012, 10:46 PM
Depends on what you are looking for

Casual laid back piano bar. Jilly's is hard to beat

Older crowd sit drink have some sights Tavern on Rush.

Younger late 20's early 30's business crowd with tons of eye candy......anywhere on Hubbard St but forget lounging as it will be crowded inside. Paris Club has all the euro ladies you can shake a stick at its not a chubby everyone is on ecstasy crowd even tho maybe by the name you would think that. Public House is the new place to be. Its in all the mags and on all the T.V. shows.

What ever you do don't go to division street. It used to be the place a few years back, but the ghetto rats have taken it over. All the Irish bars and pubs are filled with westside gangsters. Nothing but fights, brawls, thefts and just absolute nonesense. The only bar on division St that is still holding strong is the lodge. Good after hours place til 4 am during week, 5am Saturdays. All beer is on tap...no bottles. Peanuts on the floor.

Another good all around place that has everything is a place called The Joint. Great for all different ages and bigger groups. Has a bar with dance floor on the front, piano bar w dance floor in the back, and a dance club in the basement. Anyone from 21-55 is in there. Its located just north of Excalibur on Dearborn and erie

mikeg205
01-12-2012, 11:32 PM
Depends on what you are looking for

Casual laid back piano bar. Jilly's is hard to beat

Older crowd sit drink have some sights Tavern on Rush.

Younger late 20's early 30's business crowd with tons of eye candy......anywhere on Hubbard St but forget lounging as it will be crowded inside. Paris Club has all the euro ladies you can shake a stick at its not a chubby everyone is on ecstasy crowd even tho maybe by the name you would think that. Public House is the new place to be. Its in all the mags and on all the T.V. shows.

What ever you do don't go to division street. It used to be the place a few years back, but the ghetto rats have taken it over. All the Irish bars and pubs are filled with westside gangsters. Nothing but fights, brawls, thefts and just absolute nonesense. The only bar on division St that is still holding strong is the lodge. Good after hours place til 4 am during week, 5am Saturdays. All beer is on tap...no bottles. Peanuts on the floor.

Another good all around place that has everything is a place called The Joint. Great for all different ages and bigger groups. Has a bar with dance floor on the front, piano bar w dance floor in the back, and a dance club in the basement. Anyone from 21-55 is in there. Its located just north of Excalibur on Dearborn and erie

c'mon - mothers is there (used to be there)....oh... that fun 30 years ago....my bad... :D:D:D:D

swatguy
01-13-2012, 09:27 AM
Hah its still there.....has its fun nights, but I think they changed their name to Baby's Momma:D:)

03geetee
01-13-2012, 09:43 AM
True story!

JTR

madcityskier
01-29-2012, 04:06 PM
Tango Sur
1032 reviewsRating Details
Categories: Steakhouses, Argentine [Edit]
3763 N Southport Ave
(between Waveland Ave & Grace St)
Chicago, IL 60613
Neighborhood: Lakeview
(773) 477-5466
www.tangosur.net

***Best meat ever!!!!*** worth the wait, very cool atmosphere (very dark).

Tried it. 3 people for $110 with no drinks and one appetizer wouldn't be bad, except that we fed most of it to the dog. No impressed. Sorry.

mzito
01-29-2012, 04:30 PM
wow...sorry to hear you did not have a good experience. I have been there a few times and would go back anytime. I am curious what you and the rest of your party ordered?

mikeg205
01-29-2012, 04:53 PM
Tried it. 3 people for $110 with no drinks and one appetizer wouldn't be bad, except that we fed most of it to the dog. No impressed. Sorry.

of all the places suggested...what convinced you to try that?

madcityskier
01-29-2012, 08:13 PM
We were down from Madison taking my brother in law out to dinner. It's pretty close to where he's living. Best item on our table was a fried steak with two eggs. Would've been as good and much cheaper at the old Crack Whore Barrel we used to visit when we we're living in Kentucky.

mikeg205
01-29-2012, 08:23 PM
We were down from Madison taking my brother in law out to dinner. It's pretty close to where he's living. Best item on our table was a fried steak with two eggs. Would've been as good and much cheaper at the old Crack Whore Barrel we used to visit when we we're living in Kentucky.

lmoa.... on the crack whore barrel, I drive past one every day to and from work...I will never think of it the same way again...

fried steak and eggs in a south american steak house?? a bit strange...even for Chicago for dinner...you'll have to hit the applebees just off of I-90 to get better meat...:D:D:D:D

madcityskier
01-29-2012, 08:27 PM
Meeting famliy from Michigan this weekend for my wife's birthday. Showed her this thread, sounds like Maestros or Public House this time around. I love Fogo, and Chop House is always good, but they feel a need to branch out despite the fact that we do good to get there 2x a year. Ruth's Chris is always good, but we have that here, and had it when we lived in Indy, don't want to go to Chicago and eat at a chain we can get locally. (Though Chris is far from McDonalds.)

mikeg205
01-29-2012, 08:34 PM
Meeting famliy from Michigan this weekend for my wife's birthday. Showed her this thread, sounds like Maestros or Public House this time around. I love Fogo, and Chop House is always good, but they feel a need to branch out despite the fact that we do good to get there 2x a year. Ruth's Chris is always good, but we have that here, and had it when we lived in Indy, don't want to go to Chicago and eat at a chain we can get locally. (Though Chris is far from McDonalds.)

This was and hopefully is a good place to eat...http://www.vivo-chicago.com/menu to branch out....:cool:

Grand Lux on Michigan is always good too...

madcityskier
02-05-2012, 11:21 PM
Ended up going to Gene & George Friday, Public House Saturday. G&G we've been before, but it's been years. The service was amazing and the food was excellent. Public House was more of a bar setting. Very loud. We did however sit at a table with four tappers coming from the middle of the table, which was pretty cool. It was a bit early so we ended up having a few drinks and appetizers then heading out to a concert. Had a nice time at both.